Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 12 Mar 17, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Luggage helpers at airport

Just wondering how much people give the people who wait at the car hire returns and offer to help with your luggage - do you tip " per bag " or just one general payment
Rob.
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 17, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
johnmcmaster
Very Serious Dibber

We were $10 last year and a godsend.
johnmcmaster is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 17, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post

We usually do a minimum of $5, but $2 for each bag, unless they're really heavy, then more.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 17, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

I travel solo with lots of luggage and these 'skycaps' are a life-saver. Perhaps they take pity on me, but they haul the bags out of the trunk and take them to the front of the queue and when it's my turn to check-in they load my bags onto the conveyor belt.

For 3 cases plus my hand luggage I tip $25 which is a bit extravagant but worth every cent.

I found out to my cost that Gatwick doesn't offer any porter service.

Edited at 08:16 AM.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 17, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
vickyc651
Imagineer

I tip $10 regardless of how many bags, however I never have more than 4. Worth every cent.
Old 13 Mar 17, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
amandajane10
Imagineer

amandajane10's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I never saw them last time. Will keep an eye out though on the next trip.
Villa Holiday May 2018
Planning Easter 2020
amandajane10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 17, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
RobertWestwood
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
the advice is a dollar a case but , if you think the service is worth it, they will not hand back a larger tip !

She is much more intelligent than me
RobertWestwood is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 17, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Interesting people are giving a dollar or two a bag. Last time we saw them 2 years ago (and needed help with a couple of cases) I gave the guy $15 and he said it wasn't enough and "it should be closer to $30" (his exact words). Fortunately I had $30 left in notes otherwise would have been struggling to get the cash.

Needless to say, won't use again, or if we did need to, would agree an amount in advance.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 17, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
Interesting people are giving a dollar or two a bag. Last time we saw them 2 years ago (and needed help with a couple of cases) I gave the guy $15 and he said it wasn't enough and "it should be closer to $30" (his exact words). Fortunately I had $30 left in notes otherwise would have been struggling to get the cash.

Needless to say, won't use again, or if we did need to, would agree an amount in advance.
this is the reason I am always reluctant to use them, i wouldnt want the confrontation with them if they moaned, i would just say " take it or leave it " but thats just me, my wife would ask how much they wanted and it would cause a sour note at the end of our trip

we have in the past and given them $10 ( for 4 cases ) that seems a fair amount to me, they were only with us for about 10 mins
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 17, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
salmon70
Imagineer

Mobile

This is one thing I hate at the airports/transfer coach. No sooner have you surfaced, you are pounced on by guys itching to be 'helpful'. I don't mind if I have approached them for help but when they are literally grabbing your luggage out of your hands, I find that extremely irritating.
salmon70 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List