Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 18 Mar 17, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Doris1971
Excited about Disney

Mobile Caribbean/ Maldives

Hi All
We are looking at trying the Caribbean/Maldives in either late June or November but not too sure about the weather as I've heard its rainy season. How bad is it?
Thanks in advance
Doris
Old 19 Mar 17, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

2 very different areas of the world.

In The Maldives it's monsoon season from May to October. The best (& of course most expensive) time to go is between December & March.

A friend of mine was practically villa bound one year at Easter though as they had so much torrential rain for their entire 2 week stay, whereas we'd been the previous September and had very little.

I've never been to the caribbean, always found the pull of the Maldives / Far East far greater.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 17, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I have been to the Maldives in Nov/Dec and the weather was perfect. We combined it with a few days in Dubai beforehand. Enjoyed the Maldives but did get bored after a few days.
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 17, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

been to both and deffo more to do in Caribbean

weather - travel book picture perfect - then the maddest rain ever!

Kuredu in Maldives is great - did Jamaica and theses loads of wonderful excursions if you are into that

2025 "Free Dining" Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077
papamouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 17, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Doris1971
Excited about Disney

Thanks for the replies folks. The OH does get bored easily so will probably opt for the Caribbean. We were looking at Montego Bay. Are there any other areas to try?

We are Florida bunnies so haven't been anywhere else apart from venturing to cancun last year. We thought with the dollar being a bit rubbish at the moment, we would try another all inclusive holiday again.
Old 19 Mar 17, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

IMHO the Maldives is for lovers of the ocean, if you don't want to dive or spend hours snorkelling (or presumably love just sunbathing for hours on end, not something I've ever really understood!) then I should imagine it'd be a boring holiday. Only the bigger islands even have watersport centres.

I've been to numerous beautiful places around the US, Hawaii, Far East, Australia etc. and can honestly say that none of them compare to the Maldives which is breathtakingly stunning. Even in Hawaii we stayed in Mauna Kea which at the time was voted the 2nd best beach in the world, and I'd still pick the Maldives over it. BUT it's not for everyone.

When we first went my kids were 6 & 13 and I worried we'd be bored, but it ignited our love of the ocean, we only stayed 11 nights just incase and regretted it as had barely picked up any of the numerous books I'd taken yet had all loved many hours spent snorkelling, we later all went on to learn to dive when the kids were older.

If you're worried your husband will get bored and he's not a lover of the ocean then it's probably not the destination for you.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 17, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Doris1971 View Post
Thanks for the replies folks. The OH does get bored easily so will probably opt for the Caribbean. We were looking at Montego Bay. Are there any other areas to try?

We are Florida bunnies so haven't been anywhere else apart from venturing to cancun last year. We thought with the dollar being a bit rubbish at the moment, we would try another all inclusive holiday again.
split stay?

a week in fla and then 2 in montego bay?

its a good base -the excursions are amazing - Dunns River Falls, Plantations, BBQ nights, pirate cruises

its not really a place where you can just go wandering on your own, the resorts are all compounds, but plenty of prebooked things to do you should look into before you go.

2025 "Free Dining" Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077
papamouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 17, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
SallyPatterson
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Doris1971 View Post

We stayed in Montego Bay last year and are going to Negril this June. Montego Bay was a great location but as we love to snorkel we found the water wasn't great as you couldn't see the bottom as the beaches are mostly man made. Negril on the other hand has amazing clear water like Mexico.
Old 19 Mar 17, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Doris1971
Excited about Disney

Thanks everyone, very much appreciated!

My favourite beach will always be Indian Shores. Cancun was ok last year but I didn't find the beach as clean and the water as clear as my favourite place, we were staying at the Hard Rock hotel during September and found the sea to be quite choppy.

How have people found the weather towards the end of June/ end of November around the Caribbean?
Old 19 Mar 17, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
yogadeb
Imagineer

Not sure about other Caribbean islands but Antigua is gorgeous and lots to do and very safe to walk about / get busses with locals etc .

We're off again 2 weeks tomorrow and haven't been for 14 years . Last time it was July and very windy but not much rain . I think from may - Dec it's wet season there though .
This time We're staying in jolly harbour and going in dry season and where were staying is a good location for those who Like to get out like us.

Also have you thought about Mexico ? It is Classed as Carribean too I think - it's got tons going on .

Edited at 05:37 PM.
yogadeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List