Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 31 Aug 15, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
ilovedisney25
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile Car hire novice questions

Hi, wondering if you car hire experts can help me.

We usually have a hire car through a package but as we are going Diy this year it's the first time I'll be booking it separate.

There's 4 of us, 2 adults and 2 kids aged 4 and 7. We usually have some form of intermediate. This fits the 4 of us in with 2 suitcases in the boot with the hand luggage and a small 3rd suitcase in the back.

This time we will have more luggage as we plan on bringing xmas presents home. I've had a look on the car hire sites but are they accurate when they say 2 people and 4 suitcases.

Would an suv be the best option?

Any recommendations on who to hire from? Flying into mco. So far I have looked at alamo, dollar and hertz.

Tia :-)
ilovedisney25 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 15, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

I would recommend alamo
however that doesnt mean you have to book direct with alamo best to look around
virgin use alamo and sometimes there prices are the best
then you can book through alamo brits which gives you 10% off but not always the best deal
usrentacar use alamo to but not used them myself.

the size they give saying 4 cases ect are not always correct as the car in the line up to pick from may not even be the car they say you will get.

I would go for an SUV if I were you that way you are guaranteed more boot space
Old 31 Aug 15, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
alvin_purple
Very Serious Dibber

Have a look at one of the 'brooker' website such as holidayautos. They give prices form lots of different companies.
Last year we hired a full sized SUV and others in our party went for a smaller SUV.
To be honest the full size SUV was too big, the smaller one would have been fine.
alvin_purple is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 15, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
prettymiarose
Excited about Disney

Hi Tia
We use Alamo and they have always been very easy. I think its worth paying a little extra to be comfortable and you can't beat the 7 seaters. Sign up to Alamo 'Offers' on their website you may even get sent a discount or upgrade offer before you book
There are threads on the DIBB regarding 'Savetime' and 'Online Checking' which speeds up collection but we have never used this.

If you are an AA member you can go via the AA website to Hertz as you get a 10% discount so worth checking quotes
Old 31 Aug 15, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
NiPsTeR
Excited about Disney

I Think there's a possibility you could get away with a fairly decent full size car but to have breathing space with the extra luggage SUV is the way to go.

We have never booked our rentals independently anywhere but usrentacar - they give you pretty accurate luggage space and always seem good prices!

Hope this helps.
Holiday of a lifetime - 2005,2006,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012..Honeymoon in 2013!, 2014, 2015, 2016, Christmas Time 2017, Apr 2018, Oct 2018, May 2022, April 2023, Soon be there in April 2024, Back in July 2024!
NiPsTeR is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 15, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Rbf1979
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Get a 7 seater dodge. We had one for 3 people this year. Lol. It had TV screens in the back.
Rbf1979 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 15, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
nasty
Imagineer

We had a full size car from Alamo this year. It was a Nissan Altima. There are 4 of us 2 adults 2 teens and we fitted 4 large suitcases plus 4 hand luggage in no problem.
This was the first time we had booked the full size as we have always had SUV's before but hubby wanted something smaller.
We have booked the full size again for next yr.
nasty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 15, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Rawhide
Very Serious Dibber

Hi

I've always done DIY (we go every 3 years or so) and although the group has always been bigger than your 4, I found it pays to overestimate the space you need. There were 5 of us last year and we had a 7 seater, and even then bags were packed high on the spare seats.

I have always booked through uscarhire.com ended up with Alamo and we could use the kiosks last year - a genuinely painless car hire experience.
Rawhide is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 15, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Cosworth
Apprentice Imagineer

I recommend uscarhire.com; they offer Alamo (and other companies) at reasonable prices.
Look at getting a 7-seat minivan, some have dvd screens in the back and are very comfortable.
Cosworth is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 15, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Celica190
Imagineer

One thing to bear in mind with an SUV is that they don't have a parcel shelf, so your luggage is visible if you leave the vehicle parked anywhere on the way from or to the airport. If this isn't an issue, I'd go for an SUV. As we're hoping to do a road trip next year, it'll be a full-size car for us

1996 Days Inn Universal 1999, 2003 & 2005 Quality Inn International 2007 and 2011 Bahama Bay Resort
Celica190 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread