Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Mar 17, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Automated Immigration Kiosks & Passport Expiry

I know the UK is in the Six Month Club, but can anybody confirm the 6 month remaining limit on passports when using the kiosks. I read at least one person on here claiming rejection at the kiosks a while back.

If anybody has got through the kiosks with less than six months, or if you've been stopped for having less, then please let me know.

I've fired off an email to CBP, but no guarantees I'll get a valid answer back.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 17, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

My husband was unable to use the kiosk last year with five months remaining on his passport. He just got sent to an immigration desk with a short queue, he didn't have to go to the back of the big queue thankfully.
Old 14 Mar 17, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by hornetgirl View Post
My husband was unable to use the kiosk last year with five months remaining on his passport. He just got sent to an immigration desk with a short queue, he didn't have to go to the back of the big queue thankfully.
Thank you very much for the response.

My brother will have just shy of 4 months remaining.

Not sure if he should ignore the "do you have an ESTA? have you been to the states since..." questions and queue with the rest or if he should try the kiosk and hopefully get a short queue like your hubby?!?

It's damn annoying they don't make this 6 month thing clear.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 17, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

DW and mine passports expired in March and February 2017 and were rejected by the automated process in November last year. The system came up with that on the screen about the less then six months rule and we had to join the looooong queue of "aliens"
Old 15 Mar 17, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

With less than 6 months left, you WILL be rejected at the kiosk but they seem to insist you try anyway.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 17, 12:09 AM  
Link to this Post
HEMANCLOFTY
Dibbing with Tink

HEMANCLOFTY's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mine (which expires in June) was rejected at the Kiosk when we travelled on 23rd Feb - we had to go back into another queue (still shorter than the main one) and I just did my finger prints and eye scan with the immigration officer.
HEMANCLOFTY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 17, 12:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Thanks folks for all the great replies.

It's evident that the kiosks have this odd rule that hopefully will either be made clear or removed at some point in the future.

The shorter queue arrangement is even more odd, but it's looking like my brother is best to try the kiosk, get the rejection and fingers crossed get the shorter queue option.

What a palaver
Old 15 Mar 17, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

The kiosk rule isn't 'odd' as such; the UK are one of the countries who have an agreement that their citizens don't need at least 6 months left on their passport to enter the US.

Citizens of other countries ,who can also use the kiosks, do need in excess of 6 months so it's simpler to set the kiosks up to reject those with less than 6 months & send them to an officer rather than trying to adapt the kiosks to reject from these countries but accept from these countries etc.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 17, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
The kiosk rule isn't 'odd' as such; the UK are one of the countries who have an agreement that their citizens don't need at least 6 months left on their passport to enter the US.

Citizens of other countries ,who can also use the kiosks, do need in excess of 6 months so it's simpler to set the kiosks up to reject those with less than 6 months & send them to an officer rather than trying to adapt the kiosks to reject from these countries but accept from these countries etc.
But your passport indicates your nationality?!?

This is a computer we're talking about "if six month rule then..."
Old 15 Mar 17, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Cottontop
Getting Excited

We're flying into MCO on 10th April. All of us have years on our Passports but the 2 adults haven't been to the USA for 10 years (and daughter has never been). Will that stop us from using the kiosks ?
Cottontop is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List