Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Aug 17, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Wazza68
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile Lego - Destroying young Imaginations

Ok this is light hearted, watching lego masters reminded me how much fun lego could be. But it got me thinking.
When I was a wee lad lego was basically square or oblong bricks with a few wheels etc. You then let your imagination run wild.
Then I look I my kids lego and all the pieces are exactly the right shape for whatever set you're making. E.g. A Star Wars Tie Fighter. There's little imagination required and it's more like a model kit.
By making the end product more lifelike I think Lego has removed a lot of the fun.
But then it still sells by the millions, so what do I know!
Wazza68 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 17, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Totally agree. The arguments and negotiating skills learnt over having the blue bricks only for my car!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 17, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

Mobile

You can still buy boxes of mixed Lego though so I like that there's a choice. Especially as I'm not very creative so love following instructions to make something that actually looks like it should!
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 17, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We've had this discussion in our house a few times as myself and OH grew up with the traditional style of Lego, our youngest is seriously addicted to Lego... has autism so kind of goes with the territory ( I don't mean that in a bad way at all ... Lego is a brilliant toy but also a therapy tool for a lot of people with autism ) she likes the Lego friends series and has a lot of them and quite a few other sets but she builds them plays with them takes them apart etc... we were thrilled when the brought the Lego classic sets out again a few years back and bought her a massive tub of the stuff... this really does spark her creativity more... looking around playroom now I can see a vending machine she built the other night ... but I also think that was a way of extracting money from me and daddy lol.
We have a Lego store near us and she has the refillable cup she can get in there and often thinks of something she can build beforehand and goes and buys what she needs to create it... after last night she's thinking of a Lego toilet and poo
I'll try and add some pics later of her stash and creations
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 17, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We have tonnes of Lego. You can buy separate boxes of wheels, roof tiles , doors and windows, boxes of mixed bricks you just have to look for them as most shops now sell the themed stuff. Having boys I tended to search out the other Lego. And as megandllsmum says we often go to the brick wall ( fabulous thing it is )
Minecraft Lego is pretty cool ( except the micro because it gets everywhere! ) as that's just basic bricks . My favourite are the mini figures and I'm excited because this year's Christmas one is a Christmas train station , I got the train last year .
We are off to London this weekend and really looking forward to going in the Lego shop as it wasn't open last august. ( I'm 45 btw )
Would love the Disney castle.
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 17, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Does this mean the next generation will be able to follow instructions an build flat pack furniture...coz I can't, and I blame Lego!
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 17, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
My kids (22,13,11) all love Lego and over the years have accumulated many boxes of mixed sets although latterly most are sets and have boxes and instructions.

DS (13) in the holidays decided to try and sell some of his to fund the purchase of Big Ben and then the London Bus set. The one's that sold first and quickly were the mixed boxes which had bricks, wheels, figures from various sets and that seems to be what people are looking for rather than sets with boxes and instruction. He did sell enough to fund his new sets but thinking of just mixing up the one's left to sell as mixed boxes but seems a waste when almost complete sets. So definetely still people who love to use their imagination and not just follow instructions.

Also to answer stupet11's question - my eldest can build flat pack furniture following the instructions unlike his Dad but maybe nothing to do with Lego

Edited at 01:25 PM.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 17, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

we have tons of lego and I have spent hours putting together much requested sets only for them to be demolished again so ds can design his own creations so not sure its really destroying imaginations. Also you have sets that all connect within a theme and that does encourage imaginative play just after the build rather than during

There is also an increasing market for adult lego collectors who don't want to build random stuff but are happy to pay serious money for a highly detailed set. I could not be bothered nor do I have the time to spend hours trying to source all the parts I'd need and then try to figure it out how to design something myself but would happily put together the disney castle
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 17, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Excited6910
Imagineer

Mine build the set, break it up and become master builders (you'll know if you've seen the movie)

Loved our Second “once in a lifetime" so much we're doing it again
Excited6910 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 17, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
kaytronika
slightly serious Dibber

I think I hit the point in the 80s where the Lego sets went from basic bricks to more complicated Technic elements... Rather than limit imagination it just drove us to make more and more elaborate contraptions. I genuinely think playing with Technic Lego and the associated springs, wheels and gears massively helped me to understand how mechanisms actually function.

Nowadays I buy Lego as an occasional treat and I generally just build the set I bought, but I browse Reddit and see kids building the same sort of things I built at their age. Kids have the imagination to turn a rainbow coloured monstrosity in to a rocket ship and I think I've lost that over the years.

I do wish the Lego show last night didn't have the predictable 'Two groups will have to leave' and instead had a points system to keep all the teams in it until the end. I'd have loved to have seen how the builders voted off improved as the show progressed. I genuinely don't like the 'voting off' format of these shows.
kaytronika is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List