Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 31 Mar 18, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Keep Calm and Have a Cocktail March 2018: Pre Travel Day

Pre Travel Day - Thurs 8 March

As we were both working today, it was that balancing act of desperately finishing the final emails while getting the last bit of washing, cleaning and packing done.

We were in pretty good order though - mainly as the packing had been pretty much done the previous weekend.

Although I continue to be confounded by the amount of last minute items that suddenly pile up next to the neatly packed case.

It rained, which is completely irrelevant but continued the tradition of it always being a soggy start to the travels, and meant the dogs kept leaving me paw prints on the newly mopped floor

4pm arrived before we knew it - well, not technically, as it came after 3pm like normal - and Jamie was home and keen for us to tootle off asap.

After some faffing about we set off at 1645, stopping for fuel and a quick tiddle, as of course we were right in the M1 and M25 rush hour.

It was slow but moving and after 3 hours we pitched up at the Cambridge Hotel - courtesy of a minor detour round Horley as the Sat Nav decided to re calculate just at that critical moment as we were coming off a roundabout and we ended up taking the scenic route- although it was dark so not that scenic really.

First impressions of the hotel were

Er, it’s not the premier inn. In fact, I was all for thinking it was Fawlty Towers and though neither of us said it, we were both thinking this could have been a disaster booking - cheap or not.

The room was big and very clean - just a bit old fashioned but in fairness a comfortable bed and we were surprised that it was quiet - even though its close to the road.

After dropping our cases and breaking out the picnic stash

we headed down to have dinner

Andy is now flexitarian. Well, that's one word for it

It's officially a thing and is either a veggie that eats occasional meat or a carnivore that eats more veggie depending on your starting perspective.

So, he is 80 % Veggie at home and 100% steak hound on holiday

Except tonight when he picked Spag Bol Didn't see that coming. But it is a quirky menu ...

What's that I hear you say ... Spag Bol? White Top? Twirly fork business?

We all know how that ends don't we ...

I had the chicken skewer which was nice and totally reminded me of Turkey. Except it was chicken, not turkey. Laughs at own joke

I had a Diet Coke and Andy just had water.

Bill was £32, felt expensive but food was nice.

There were a few people in the bar but it felt a little bit soulless so we headed up to attack the wine minis which was a total fail as we were asleep within half an hour - never fear the remaining drinkies made their way to Miami and New Orleans!

Travel Day is here

Edited at 03:33 PM.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 18, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

The hotel reminds me of ones I stayed in as a youngster in Blackpool. The fact that it was clean though is a big big plus!

Dinner looks nice too!

Looking forward to reading the rest 😜

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 18, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Yay, you've started! The hotel does look a bit fawlty towers...Hmm the room is big with the bunks out the way in the corner, but I think I might stick with what I know. I like your little room snacks bundle, nothing like a g&t in a can to start off a holiday. It's not a proper pre travel day if you don't have cheap alcohol in your hotel room.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 18, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

It's always a faff working on the day you have to head off... but at least you're near the airport now. The hotel does look a bit old fashioned, but clean is good and the food looks nice.

Haha, I always think I'm packed too and then more and more appears

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 18, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
CuriousAlice
slightly serious Dibber

A bit of a quirky hotel but food looks good ( I know you gave us spoilers in the food report). Like how you took celebratory room drinks but fell asleep before the party. I do that too! x
CuriousAlice is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 18, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
The hotel reminds me of ones I stayed in as a youngster in Blackpool. The fact that it was clean though is a big big plus!

Dinner looks nice too!

Looking forward to reading the rest 😜
It was that old fashioned " boarding house" style of décor but it was meticulously clean and the staff were very helpful. And for the price that included 11 days parking, I would stay again. Although it looks like its up for sale.

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Yay, you've started! The hotel does look a bit fawlty towers...Hmm the room is big with the bunks out the way in the corner, but I think I might stick with what I know. I like your little room snacks bundle, nothing like a g&t in a can to start off a holiday. It's not a proper pre travel day if you don't have cheap alcohol in your hotel room.
Lol hat G&T made it to New Orleans and the Rose wine wasn't consumed till the last day ! V V poor effort on our part. The M&S bread snacks are very nice - they lasted as emergency fodder for a couple of days . Hotel was ok - for £72 , not complaining. Just got too used to the modern PIs !

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
It's always a faff working on the day you have to head off... but at least you're near the airport now. The hotel does look a bit old fashioned, but clean is good and the food looks nice.

Haha, I always think I'm packed too and then more and more appears
Where does the extra stuff come from and its always either awkward or heavy ( like trainers or washbags).

Originally Posted by CuriousAlice View Post
A bit of a quirky hotel but food looks good ( I know you gave us spoilers in the food report). Like how you took celebratory room drinks but fell asleep before the party. I do that too! x
Quirky - that's a better word than old fashioned - It was actually a residence of a Duke of Cambridge so a big old mansion house , hence the odd layouts. I did manage half the Aperitivo Fizz , tastes a bit like Lucozade tho. Made up for it the rest of the hols tho
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 18, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
yellowrose78
VIP Dibber

yellowrose78's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Been looking forward to this report, the hotel does look a bit old fashioned, but I'm sure it served its purpose, we had a dodgy airport hotel last year, was horrendous! Loving the room snacks and drinks

Movieland Hotel IDrive - 2002 / POR - 2012 / 3 Weeks at OKW - 2014 / Villa at Highlands Reserve - 2016 / New York and Orlando - 2018 / Caribbean Cruise MSC Seaside - June 2019 / Orlando Covid cancelled 2020 and 2021 / Planning for Orlando 2024
yellowrose78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 18, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by yellowrose78 View Post
Been looking forward to this report, the hotel does look a bit old fashioned, but I'm sure it served its purpose, we had a dodgy airport hotel last year, was horrendous! Loving the room snacks and drinks
Hello there - thank you- yes it certainly did and despite our initial misgivings, it was ok. Its not great if you start off with a nightmare !
Old 1 Apr 18, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Yay Amanda!
Another trip report, I shall settle in after Easter Dinner!
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 18, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by Twentyyears View Post
Yay Amanda!
Another trip report, I shall settle in after Easter Dinner!
Ah bless you, hope all well with you x