Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 9 Apr 18, 03:16 AM  
Link to this Post
dave
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cra1gyp View Post
Thanks for the info Dave. Some careful planning needed to avoid getting lost i think.
Cheers
Definitely, especially in the dark😂 I thought I’d sorted it but one wrong turn and you’ve had it😆
Sunset lakes 01, Weston Hills 03,Indian Ridge 04, Davenport 04, Westridge 06 & 07, Florida Pines 08, Lake Berkley 09, Windsor Hills 10, Emerald Island 12, Westridge 13, Legacy Park 15, Eagle Pointe 16, Loma Linda & Windsor Hills 17, Westridge 18, Bella Vida 19
FLORIDA MASTERS WORST TRAVEL AGENT 2015
HOLIDAY GENIE / TRAVELUP WORST TRAVEL AGENT 2016
dave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 18, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggerdigger
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Rotonda Bound View Post
Hi Hank

We have done this route twice now. We try to get the 9 or 10 ish flight as the 7am one is too early 😜
The flight down goes into T5 and you have to take a 10 min bus ride to T3. It's no problem and quite well organised. Luggage goes straight through to Miami.

We have had enough time to make the change, pop up to the lounge for breakfast and make the gate with time to spare.

Last time we were on one of the newly refurbished planes and found the seats really uncomfortable and as our plane took a longer than normal route due to bad weather it was a killer.

Immigration and baggage collection was seamless. We always spend the night at the Miami Hilton so didn't bother with the car till following morning. I guess we could have been out and on the road within 1h30mins. The 7am flight lands about 2pm so adding immigration, baggage collection etc you could be on the road before 4pm.

The car centre is well organised and you have to access it by the Miami Mover.
I'm sure you have driven to & fro Miami before so you are probably aware of all the roadworks and him it's improving the journey.

We paid £330 each for the Jan flights and £380 each for the April one we are about to take. All things considered the flights are great value for money. Flying into Tpa or Rsw is almost double so the drive is worth it.

Hope this helps 😜
Bernadette
Thanks for the info Bernadette.

We are doing exact same in October staying also at Miami Hilton.

Can you tell me how you go about getting your Hire Car in the morning as we are due to pick ours up from Avis on arrival. Do you return to airport on shuttle? Or do they deliver the car?

Thanks in advance,

Michael
Old 10 Apr 18, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Rotonda Bound
slightly serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
We get the shuttle straight from the airport to the hotel then take the shuttle back to the airport after breakfast.
We only usually have hand luggage with us.
The restaurant is quite decent if you want a meal and they do a lovely breakfast buffet.
If you pick up your car and drive to the Hilton be aware that they charge you to park overnight. Last time it cost $19 but might have gone up since.

Dragonflies Villa ... close to stunning Gulf Coast beaches.
The ideal place to relax and unwind

Rotonda Bound is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 18, 12:59 AM  
Link to this Post
tiggerdigger
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Rotonda Bound View Post
We get the shuttle straight from the airport to the hotel then take the shuttle back to the airport after breakfast.
We only usually have hand luggage with us.
The restaurant is quite decent if you want a meal and they do a lovely breakfast buffet.
If you pick up your car and drive to the Hilton be aware that they charge you to park overnight. Last time it cost $19 but might have gone up since.
Thanks for the reply. I checked website and it's still $19 to park car. I think I will look into it but as we are usually up at stupid o'clock first morning it might be better to have car already to leave for driving up to Orlando.
Old 11 Apr 18, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mcowan77
Getting Excited

Hi

Similar route except from Glasgow.. we arrive in Heathrow at 12:10 depart 13:55... is that enough time?

Thanks
mcowan77 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 18, 01:51 AM  
Link to this Post
dave
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mcowan77 View Post
Hi

Similar route except from Glasgow.. we arrive in Heathrow at 12:10 depart 13:55... is that enough time?

Thanks
It meets their minimum connection time so long as your flight isn’t delayed much. We were through in less time than that though.
If like our first flight they had it as 1 hour flight but it was only 30 mins
Sunset lakes 01, Weston Hills 03,Indian Ridge 04, Davenport 04, Westridge 06 & 07, Florida Pines 08, Lake Berkley 09, Windsor Hills 10, Emerald Island 12, Westridge 13, Legacy Park 15, Eagle Pointe 16, Loma Linda & Windsor Hills 17, Westridge 18, Bella Vida 19
dave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 18, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
scouser
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi dave you say you used the turnpike from miami upto orlando. Did you purchase a toll pass from avis if so can you let us now how much it costs and do you have to ask for it at the counter.
Old 12 Apr 18, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
mcowan77
Getting Excited

Cheers
mcowan77 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 18, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
dave
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scouser View Post
Hi dave you say you used the turnpike from miami upto orlando. Did you purchase a toll pass from avis if so can you let us now how much it costs and do you have to ask for it at the counter.
I just drove through tolls. They charge you a $3.95 daily rate upto a max of $20ish per rental period. Plus toll fees driven through.
Didn’t ask for anything at counter as I’m use to Alamo. My car has a transponder though and I’ve left it off so I don’t get charged even when not using tolls. Hope I’ve done it right😂
Old 13 Apr 18, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
scouser
Imagineer

Thanks for the info.