Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 15 Apr 18, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Ford Explorer or Expedition?

Hi, I've got a 7 seater minivan booked at the moment, but thinking of changing it to an SUV. There are 3 adults and 2 kids, 5 large cases, and hand luggage, and a stroller.
Previous visits we had a Tahoe but that was when the seat configuration was 3 in the middle and 2 at the back. So we'd collapse the back and everything would fit in.
I notice now that the Tahoe has 2 seats in middle and 3 at back, so not sure how we would get everyone in and luggage.
And, I think I'd like a change from the Tahoe this time so looking at an Explorer or Expedition.
So, my question is would we all fit in an Explorer or do I need to go for an Expedition?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 18, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

I'd go Expedition with 5 cases and the pram. Bear in mind though most rental companies state 'or similar' in the description when booking.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 18, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Bear-family
Imagineer

Mobile

We had a Ford explorer... there were 4 adults, 2 children with car seats, 6 large cases, 6 hand luggage (back packs) and DS's wheelchair. It was a bit if a squeeze but everything fit in. So for a party of your size of say most definalty you'll be ok.
Bear-family is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 18, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

In my experience there have always been more Tahoe vehicles than Expeditions in full size Suv rows. I have rented about 5 and always looked for an expedition with no luck.
Having said that you might have to ask for an explorer in standard suv class. Technically it is a 7 seater standard as opposed to the 5 seater standard we often see on UK rental sites for Alamo.

Your right though about Tahoe more people seem to have been given the 7 seater model with 2 middle row seats lately. All the ones I have previously rented were the CHEAPER 8 seat model. 2 captain chairs is an upgrade over 3 seat middle bench style.

I plan to ask for an explorer a week Friday, booked standard suv.

Edited at 03:00 PM.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 18, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Mobile

I love the explorer, id squeeze it in, once its all dropped off theres plenty of room.
Old 15 Apr 18, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
The Fatadder
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We had an expedition last year, the boot was huge (we could still fit a huge double pushchair in the boot along with 6 adults and two car seats). It would comfortably fit 3 plus 2 into the car with the rear seats up and a load of boot space.
The Fatadder is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 18, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

The Explorer with 7 seats in use 21 cubic feet of cargo with 5 seats in use it has 44 cubic feet of cargo space.
The Experdition with rear seat in use has 20 cubic feet with all seats in use.
The Experdition Max which is a long wheelbase extended version has 36 cubic feet with all seats.
As we all know there will be no guarantee of what's in the line.
Cost wise go for standard lower back seats and you have same or greater space than even an Experdition Max.
Old 16 Apr 18, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Paddcomp
Imagineer

Mobile

In the sticky post pictures of your hire car I've put pictures and video of the load space of the Explorer we had a few weeks ago.
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...9#post13174529
Easter 2014 - Oak Island cove Dibb Villa
Easter 2018 - Lindfields Dibb Villa
Paddcomp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 18, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Kez18
I have Ears

I am currently driving an expidition 8 seater.
I had booked a full size suv with alamo through DFCH.
We went out to the lot and I explained that although we are a family of 3, that combined with my friends family of 5 we could do with an 8 seater.
The guy explained that it was a big upgrade as 8's are way more expensive, (it was over 1k to book an 8) I said I didn't mind if it was an older model if that would help.
I got given an expidition with 40k on the clock so a few scuffs here and there, and ( no bells or whistles ) but saved us paying twice for parking everywhere we go.
That would definitely be suitable for your needs.
Kez18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 18, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Ok, thanks everyone. Very useful information. I think I'll try for a Ford Explorer, and if they don't have one I'll see what else is on offer in the Standard SUV line up. If not, I'll upgrade and try and get an Expedition.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List