Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 18 Apr 18, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
SimplyDisney
Excited about Disney

Best camera/video camera for Disney

Hi,

I have a Nikon D5300 and an iPhone X. I know these would be ok but I am considering:

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 V
GoPro Hero 6

I understand the RX100 V has an overheating issue when recording 4K video which is putting me off, along with the battery life.

The GoPro idea is for size and for waterparks.

Any recommendations? Since conventional video cameras don't seem the go to product for recording video any longer I'm a bit unsure.

We are going for 3 weeks from 30th April and I would like to get this sorted pretty soon.

Thanks.
SimplyDisney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Robsie71
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by SimplyDisney View Post
Hi,

I have a Nikon D5300 and an iPhone X. I know these would be ok but I am considering:

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 V
GoPro Hero 6

I understand the RX100 V has an overheating issue when recording 4K video which is putting me off, along with the battery life.

The GoPro idea is for size and for waterparks.

Any recommendations? Since conventional video cameras don't seem the go to product for recording video any longer I'm a bit unsure.

We are going for 3 weeks from 30th April and I would like to get this sorted pretty soon.

Thanks.
I took a TZ70 and Hero 5 with me on the last trip which worked well. Hero 5 came out for character meets, some rides and waterparks but used the still camera fro the rest. Ive got a great video of the trip (3 weeks also) but you end up with a huge amount of video! so ensure you plan ahead (I took a USB drive to download the footage while I was away)
Robsie71 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

for a fraction of the price of a gopro you can get an SJ4000 action camera

amazon/SJCAM-Water...0083929e903067

the version without wifi is even cheaper if you dont need that functionality. search youtube for "sj4000 vs gopro" for example footage of the two side by side. i like them so much i have several!
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Manny Haines
Dibbing with Tink

This has flashed across my mind but I’m now of the thinking “what’s the point of the additional cost?”.

I no longer take a DSLR as I am happy just using my iPhone to capture videos and pictures.
There’s enough apps to alter photos so that’s a big plus.

As for videos, I move these to the iPad to create a movie in iMovie and I then take advantage of Googles humongous server capacity and upload the finished product to our Private YouTube channel, which is great if you have a smart telly because you can then watch your Florida memories in cracking 4K.

I’ve not got an iPhone X but I gather the camera is very good.
As great as go pros are I’m not a fan off the wide angle view.

What I do like about Go pro is if you mount it on a stick you get less shake and vibration than a handheld phone.
Manny Haines is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
marktaylor84
Earning My Ears

It all depends on what you are looking to do.

I am going at the end of the year and went 2 years ago also.

I find for a day in each park I like to take my DSLR (D5500) with an array of lenses. It does way me down but it is the cost of photography.

Other days I take my Go Pro (Hero 4 silver) for water rides and a Panasonic LX10 which give me very good 1080p (4k is very cropped and only 10 mins) and fits in my pocket. I also take my phone, which can do good video outside, but not so much indoors.

Realistically Gopro and phone cameras aren't great in the dark. DSLR are heavy and good in dark.

A Point and shoot like LX10 or RV100 is a happy medium
marktaylor84 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
leavesonthelawn
A Guest at All-Stars

Originally Posted by Manny Haines View Post
This has flashed across my mind but I’m now of the thinking “what’s the point of the additional cost?”.

I no longer take a DSLR as I am happy just using my iPhone to capture videos and pictures.
There’s enough apps to alter photos so that’s a big plus.

As for videos, I move these to the iPad to create a movie in iMovie and I then take advantage of Googles humongous server capacity and upload the finished product to our Private YouTube channel, which is great if you have a smart telly because you can then watch your Florida memories in cracking 4K.

I’ve not got an iPhone X but I gather the camera is very good.
As great as go pros are I’m not a fan off the wide angle view.

What I do like about Go pro is if you mount it on a stick you get less shake and vibration than a handheld phone.
100% agree with this, I brought a new SLR and a GoPro for a trip and barely used it as it was hassle to carry.

Best camera is your phone, you'll always have it on you and quality will be more than good enough in the Florida sun.
leavesonthelawn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
SimplyDisney
Excited about Disney

We went with my 18 month old in 2015, the photos/video is still on the SD card! I know I have all the footage ready for a rainy day but I really must sit down and go through it. I think I still took a Sony Camcorder last time too but I'm really looking for the best optino for 4K camera, video camera, good battery, image stabilisation in the best small package. I want a really fast focus/shutter too as I have a 4 year old and 22 month old so it's needed given the way they run around and move so quickly!
SimplyDisney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
marktaylor84
Earning My Ears

Really you would need to look at something like a G85 or G7 (older, but not has good stabilization). Other options would be the Sony Cameras but these aren't cheap and lenses can be bulky.

These aren't pocket cameras though. Most pocket cameras don't do image stabilization at 4k).

Question is do you need 4k?
marktaylor84 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
pic499
VIP Dibber

I'll be using my Nikon D610 for stills and a GoPro Hero 6 or Fusion (can't decide yet) for video.

WDW 2006, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2018, 2022, 2024 DLP 2000, 2023
pic499 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
"Best" is hard to say as a lot can be down to the individual taking the photo (a decent photographer can take a quality image on a cheap camera compared to a novice using a high-end DSLR).

Personally I take my Canon 6D DSLR (and typically use 1 of 2 lenses, either 24-70mm L for general walkabout lens, or 100-400mm L mainly for the Safari at Animal Kingdom).

I don't mind carrying the camera with us around Disney (we usually take a ruck-sack anyway, so have space for the camera-bag) and I genuinely enjoy taking photos, whereas some people just want a quick snap.

I take a GoPro for the waterparks, although recent trips haven't been too bothered to capture as much footage and always have my iPhone available for a quick shot elsewhere as needed.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List