Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 20 Apr 18, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
MsMinervaMouse
Excited about Disney

Mobile Anyone else fed up of screens?

I was excited to see what the new F&F ride was going to be like. Expecting it to be something along the lines of Test Track or maybe even Spiderman. Nope. Just screens.

Disney seems to have largely stayed away from screens, bar Soarin and FOP, but when are we going to get back to some good old fashioned set design and animatronics?

FF, screens. Kong, screens. Jimmy Fallon, screens. FOP, screens. Argh! Please don’t tell me Star Wars is going to me all screens as well
Old 20 Apr 18, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I think there are many threads on this similar theme but I do agree with you that Universal have affectively turned their parks into a series of mini cinemas!
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

For me screens have to be special/unique, move us to another level, not merely copy an older ride.

FoP is an amazing experience, and before that there was Forbidden Journey. Other examples are Soarin' and Spider-man.

However there are some bad examples in my opinion, like Fallon. It offers nothing special and the content isn't even interesting to most people and esp. kids.

I'd like to understand how much cheaper they are to make compared to a more traditional ride, and how they fare in terms of longevity.

I was just saying on another post that Jaws will be remade at some point imo, and it's difficult to imagine how they can do it without using screens.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
piglet100
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Tend to agree. Can see why it makes sense for parks to do it but they can be samey - ie Spiderman and transformers. I hope Disney maintain some of the non screen attractions but I'm sure galaxy's edge will have its share of screens and simulators!
Old 20 Apr 18, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

i can see why they do it but was disappointed to see Fast & Furious looks like a kong reworking

hopefully the new harry potter ride will be an actual coaster rather than a sit & watch

suspect star wars will have a fair share of simulators?
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Pantaloons
slightly serious Dibber

On a quiet day, it got pretty old pretty fast - with little to no queues on our visit, it felt like we hopped from mini cinema to mini cinema. So much so it was refreshing to ride Mummy Returns and Rip Rocket over and over.

By the end of HP Forbidden Voyage I was getting motion sickness
Pantaloons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
ratmanscoop
slightly serious Dibber

I think the majority of visitors are - supposedly Universal have noticed this and are going to make more use of practical effects in future. We'll see. It's taken significantly longer to build F&F than RTNY yet it seems if anything, less of a ride than the latter.

Disney generally speaking aren't too bad for it, but Hollywood Studios has felt a bit like that with the current lack of attractions. The art of making a ride with visual effects is having it not feel like you're looking at a screen at all by encompassing practical effects. Forbidden Journey is indeed a good example of this, though it is a fairly intense ride. Tower of Terror should also be praised for that, you spend longer looking at visual effects than actually dropping, but I don't get the 'ride with screens in it' vibe from that at all.

The Kong animatronic proves Universal are still capable of making excellent animatronics, and Disney's reputation for it goes without saying, so I don't think they'll disappear, but yes, screen rides are definitely 'the current standard'.
Old 20 Apr 18, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
RobertH
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Originally Posted by MsMinervaMouse View Post
I was excited to see what the new F&F ride was going to be like. Expecting it to be something along the lines of Test Track or maybe even Spiderman. Nope. Just screens.

Disney seems to have largely stayed away from screens, bar Soarin and FOP, but when are we going to get back to some good old fashioned set design and animatronics?

FF, screens. Kong, screens. Jimmy Fallon, screens. FOP, screens. Argh! Please don’t tell me Star Wars is going to me all screens as well
Somewhat agree, but Disney World really hasn't added rides in the past 10 years except redoing Norway for Frozen and Pandora (one of which is a pure screen ride) and New Fantasyland. Other than the coasters and the saucer ride at Toy Story everything new coming seems to be screen based.

Both Star Wars rides, Ratatouille, and Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway all are primarily screen/projection based.

So as Universal will likely start moving away from that after Fast and Furious the same time as Disney starts moving toward that. Guardians is a coaster, but will likely have screen elements a part of it. Hollywood Studios will have 5 screen based rides after Star Wars is done. (Star Tours, Battle Escape, Falcon, Minnie/Minne, and Toy Story Midway Mania)

Edited at 12:45 PM.
RobertH is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
prthomas
Trading Disney Pins

It is pretty clear that the Millennium Falcon ride will be a simulator. But I suppose the difference is the immersion and interactivity, this won't just be a set projection but rather a really detailed first-person view with interaction. I am imagining Star Wars Battlefront 2 on steroids in the actual cockpit of the Falcon.
prthomas is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 18, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Redrach1903
Disney Dreaming :)

Redrach1903's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Mobile

F&F was such a let down. Not even 3D?! Not sure if that was due to soft opening issues or whether that’s how it is? Pretty poor attraction for being over 2 years in the making!
Redrach1903 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List