Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 25 Apr 18, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by MsMinervaMouse View Post
Disney seems to have largely stayed away from screens, bar Soarin and FOP,
Ah, you see, you mentioned Flight of Passage - Disney's latest ride - which uses screens. Everyone seems to be saying that FOP is a fantastic ride, one of the best at WDW. It's considered a great addition.

So, just because a ride has screens doesn't mean it's bad or mediocre. It can feature screens and still be a wonderful ride.

And, erm, just to let you down gently, I believe both the Star Wars rides will feature screens. The Millennium Falcon ride will be a type of simulator - a cross between Star Tours and Mission Space - whilst the First Order Battle ride will probably be similar to Spider-Man or Ratatouille (a dark ride with moving vehicles but does feature screens).

Of course, people will like these rides because it's Star Wars. Whereas no one is really that interested in F&F, Jimmy Fallon or Kong.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
ratmanscoop
slightly serious Dibber

To be honest though, Star Wars is the sort of franchise where screens should be used. Some of the others, not so much!
Old 25 Apr 18, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Smudge93 View Post
With the exception of rip ride, the hulk and the water rides, there's no real major thrill rides any more
You make it sound like Universal have removed a lot of big thrill rides. The only one they've got rid of is Dragon Challenge. It's not like Universal had a whole load of big rollercoasters in the first place.

My favourite ride in Orlando is the Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man - partially because of the theme (I'm a Marvel fan) but also because of the excellent mix of moving vehicle, practical effects and 3D screen technology. If they do it right, screen-based rides can be extremely enjoyable.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
BufordT
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Ah, you see, you mentioned Flight of Passage - Disney's latest ride - which uses screens. Everyone seems to be saying that FOP is a fantastic ride, one of the best at WDW. It's considered a great addition.

So, just because a ride has screens doesn't mean it's bad or mediocre. It can feature screens and still be a wonderful ride.

And, erm, just to let you down gently, I believe both the Star Wars rides will feature screens. The Millennium Falcon ride will be a type of simulator - a cross between Star Tours and Mission Space - whilst the First Order Battle ride will probably be similar to Spider-Man or Ratatouille (a dark ride with moving vehicles but does feature screens).

Of course, people will like these rides because it's Star Wars. Whereas no one is really that interested in F&F, Jimmy Fallon or Kong.
Interested! Well I watch Fallon daily, and Kong has a rich history (also the Kong: Skull Island move wasn't that terrible)

But f&f, apart from Toky Drift is awful. I am interested in the ride because, well we have express passes, so why not!
BufordT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
The Fatadder
Apprentice Imagineer

At least for fast and furious it is not a 3d screen, given that I ware glasses (and cant use contacts) I find the 3d screens a colossal pain. The quality is always massively compromised wearing the 3d glasses over the top of my prescription ones.

It really is getting a problem with Universal that everything new seems to end up screen based, and a clone of another ride (ie Transformers = Spiderman, Fast & Furious = Kong)

Hopefully the to be announced Harry Potter replacement to the Dueling Dragons will not be screen based!
The Fatadder is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 18, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
SParky2
Trying for More Ears

When we went in 2016 I said to my wife about the number of rides that were now using projection too much and going for less of the big thrill rides. Certainly cheaper to build

I get projection but it needs to be done right and the way things seem to be going is not right, mainly rides that move a little.

Rides like Spiderman/Transformers are good but can be very disorienting due to the rapid turns and the 3D. I personally can't ride The Simpsons ride, makes me very sick and not many rides do that to me.
Rides like Gringotts I think nailed it

Universal does need more thrill rides IMO, having said that, it's there to show off the movies, how do you do that without screens in this digital era?
Orlando - Some point soon I hope
SParky2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 18, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SParky2 View Post
When we went in 2016 I said to my wife about the number of rides that were now using projection too much and going for less of the big thrill rides. Certainly cheaper to build

I get projection but it needs to be done right and the way things seem to be going is not right, mainly rides that move a little.

Rides like Spiderman/Transformers are good but can be very disorienting due to the rapid turns and the 3D. I personally can't ride The Simpsons ride, makes me very sick and not many rides do that to me.
Rides like Gringotts I think nailed it

Universal does need more thrill rides IMO, having said that, it's there to show off the movies, how do you do that without screens in this digital era?
The sickness is a problem for some people.

We found Gringotts lacking and likely for the reasons that you like it, i.e. more screen and less motion.

VR on Kraken though... one ride and I felt like puking. Three out of four of us felt sick afterwards.

I'd like to try these rides having downed some anti-sickness drug like Dramamine.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 18, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
SParky2
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by Forkbeard View Post
The sickness is a problem for some people.

We found Gringotts lacking and likely for the reasons that you like it, i.e. more screen and less motion.

VR on Kraken though... one ride and I felt like puking. Three out of four of us felt sick afterwards.

I'd like to try these rides having downed some anti-sickness drug like Dramamine.
Kraken was better as just a coaster
Gringotts has lots of movement and screens being a coaster but lots of stops too... maybe I'm just remembering it differently to what it actually is.
I was certainly surprised when feeling sick on Simpsons, it's very rare for a a ride to make me ill but I know a fair few people have said similar, even the same with Despicable Me.
Orlando - Some point soon I hope
SParky2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 18, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SParky2 View Post
Kraken was better as just a coaster
Gringotts has lots of movement and screens being a coaster but lots of stops too... maybe I'm just remembering it differently to what it actually is.
I was certainly surprised when feeling sick on Simpsons, it's very rare for a a ride to make me ill but I know a fair few people have said similar, even the same with Despicable Me.
I agree about Kraken. It was actually a good coaster imo.

I think expectation from Forbidden Journey really messed up my opinion of Gringotts. It's all subjective at the end of the day. I loved the drop part at the beginning, but the rest seemed a bit like one film after another.

Simpsons can be a bit icky.

I get sick(ish) on some coasters, where my head feels like it's being bashed about. Rock 'n' Roller is one I can think of. It's tame, but somehow my head feels peculiar afterwards.

I also ride inverted coasters at the front only, to avoid sickness. They tend to block your vision in any seat but the front.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 18, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Mobile

I didn’t know kraken had vr now. Can’t wait to try it as I love that ride.
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List