Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 24 Sep 17, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue21
Serious Dibber

Nostalgic for the old rides - Universal

So we did a trip to Universal on Friday and although we enjoyed Gringotts, Jimmy Fallon, Minions etc. to me they don't have the same excitement and we did miss the old rides. In my opinion nothing was like Jaws for feeling that you were in a movie and I used to love Earthquake and the old King Kong, though the Mummy a good replacement. We walked straight into Terminator (to say our goodbyes) and straight on to ET which was worrying, if this goes I will be back in a heartbeat and ride everyday in its last week. Don't get me wrong we had a great day and I like progress and technology, I just like the old film set type rides more.
Blue21 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 17, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Tbh, I didn’t really enjoy Jaws before it closed and I would rather they update Rides rather then leave loads of old rides- they have to attract customers after all.
I am annoyed that I didn’t get to ride Back to the future but don’t think I would miss ET ride- it is very tired now!
Is Terminator being closed?
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 17, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue21
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Floridarules View Post
Tbh, I didn’t really enjoy Jaws before it closed and I would rather they update Rides rather then leave loads of old rides- they have to attract customers after all.
I am annoyed that I didn’t get to ride Back to the future but don’t think I would miss ET ride- it is very tired now!
Is Terminator being closed?
I believe Terminator is closing October. I do agree about updating rides, I think my problem is the 4D simulator things, they're fine (except the ones that make me dizzy ) I like proper touchy freely almost real set like rides.
Blue21 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 17, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Miss_Shell
Imagineer

Mobile

I am a huge Potter fan but I miss Jaws and Kongfrontation so bad! I'll take practical effects/rides over screens and simulators any day
Orlando & Bahamas 1992 - Orlando 1998 - Orlando 1999 - Orlando 2000 - Polynesian Resort - Orlando 2000 - Orlando 2001 - Orlando 2003 - Kissimmee Villa - Orlando 2005 - Christmas - Orlando 2010 - Orlando 2011 - Port Orleans Riverside - Orlando 2012 - Disney Coronado Springs - HHN - Orlando & Hollywood 2014 - Orlando 2016- Disney's Coronado Springs and Universal's Cabana Bay Honeymoon 2017 - Disney's Port Orleans Riverside
Miss_Shell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 17, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Always_dreaming
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Blue21 View Post
So we did a trip to Universal on Friday and although we enjoyed Gringotts, Jimmy Fallon, Minions etc. to me they don't have the same excitement and we did miss the old rides. In my opinion nothing was like Jaws for feeling that you were in a movie and I used to love Earthquake and the old King Kong, though the Mummy a good replacement. We walked straight into Terminator (to say our goodbyes) and straight on to ET which was worrying, if this goes I will be back in a heartbeat and ride everyday in its last week. Don't get me wrong we had a great day and I like progress and technology, I just like the old film set type rides more.
Totally agree!
Always_dreaming is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 17, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
lardypops
Apprentice Imagineer

lardypops's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We love universal and would pick it over Disney any day but I do miss the old rides. I loved jaws, kongfrontation, the Alfred Hitchcock show, the tram ride around the park and back to the future. Weirdly I always feel ill on the Simpsons but never need on BTTF? I am also a HP fan but feel it's taken over a little. If ET or Jurassic go I'll be gutted
lardypops is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 17, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
SRP
Excited about Disney

I have very fond childhood memories of going on Jaws, Back to the Future and Kongfrontation in the 90s. I loved them all and - even though it's tired and slow paced, I still love E.T. Much like others, I'm not a fan of the increasing number of 4D rides like The Simpsons etc, old school rides for me (but maybe I'm just old now?)
SRP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 17, 05:36 AM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

You only have to look at some of the closed theme parks in the uk for the reasons if they don't invest money into new rides then guests will stop coming to the parks.
Like at Universal Studios from opening day only ET is now left and some attractions have been replaced twice.
The only Park that can get away with minimum change is Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom as it was the last projects Walt Disney worked on so the rides are a classic.
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 17, 06:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Wobbles
VIP Dibber

Wobbles's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I thought part of the original vision for Universal was that the rides would update and evolve as films did.

Personally I love the excite of always waiting for something new.

Trip Reports
Howling @ the Horror 2015 (Complete)
Who knew Toronto was on the Med (Complete)
Getting Our Kicks - Pre Trippie
Wobbles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 17, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
fd1972uk
Imagineer

fd1972uk's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 25

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 57
I do miss them too, although im wondering if Jaws will come back in some other form (I don't mean as a penguin or a llama), maybe VR or something.

Do admit that whilst BTTF was my fav, that was replaced by Spiderman and then actually replaced by Simpsons which I thought was brilliant.

Maybe they could have a rerun of the old rides in a VR room or something.

FD
DLP Oct'14, Sequoia Lodge
ASM, HRH, AOA, DC BAH FL Oct'17
fd1972uk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List