Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Mar 21, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
Let's just leave it - please.

BB has explained it wasn't his intent to upset anyone. Let's take that at face value and move on..
It is a little difficult when he has spent the last twenty-four hours explaining to every woman why the problem of sexual harassment is not that bad, then taking umbrage his assumptions are challenged and claiming to be bullied.
When the discussion is about the safety of women on our streets, and a man says he believes the statistics, but not the women behind the statistics, it is difficult to accept his latest assertion that he does not intend to offend.
Thankfully the majority of the male posters have understood the issue and are willing to stand up with women to help make all our lives safer.

Edited at 11:01 PM.
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 21, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Just home from a run with a friend where we were both screamed at by a group of teenage lads. Didn't react which is obviously what they wanted.

But running down the canal the other day we stopped to one side to let a group of teenage lads go past on their bikes, they stopped to fix a chain and we past them and had to stop again once they got going, they apologised for making us stop which I thought was so sweet

It actually surprised me more of the boys politeness than the other boys screaming.

Sad times.
Old 13 Mar 21, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Hi,
Can we please try and return this thread back to the original question from the OP as quoted below, otherwise it will just run in circles with no focus on the pertinent points.

It is so easy for topics such as this to easily get off track. This is such an important topic that it deserves to be discussed without losing focus.

Thanks..

Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
Following on from an earlier thread about Sarah Everard and a debate on Sky now. Are the streets really that unsafe for women. The impression I’m getting from Sky is that women walk around terrified especially at night.

Is this really the case, as a 6ft 4 male I don’t really see much as a threat on the streets. Is it really that scary for women walking on their own?

When walking at night do you see all males as a threat, if so is there anything I as a male could do to put you more at ease if we happened to be on the same street at the same time

Edited at 11:47 PM.
Stu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 21, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Personally I do find it scary to walk at night.

When out with friends (before lockdown!) we used to be cautious at the point of separating to go to our respective homes.

After work meetings that went into the evening, yes, it did feel uncomfortable. Getting late trains would involve me walking on to find carriages with lots of people in them.

And yes this isn't great - I'm a mum of a son and of
Course I get that the majority - the vast majority - of men are fine and normal.

But I've experienced harassment from strangers - over many years and in many settings - that has left me feeling vulnerable and uncomfortable - mostly men.

That's not to say of course that women don't pose a threat too at times, but the conversation right now is about men.

And, earlier in this thread I mentioned that one of my secondary school friends went missing - and remains so. What i didn't mention is that a girl in the year above me at school reached National headlines when she was murdered - randomly - in broad daylight..apparently by a man.

So in answer to the original post, yes, walking alone - for me - is concerning, particularly at night.

All I can suggest is that this concern is recognised and I would ask men (and groups) to be aware of it: don't walk behind women too closely, cross over if approaching and be vigilant in case your assistance in helping a women is required - not that it is in any way expected

Edited at 11:33 PM.
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 21, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

I'm disappointed to find this thread is.having posts removed.

I've checked the T&CS and don't believe I've breached any.

I'm supporting everyone having an opinion. I don't want people generalising. I'm female and have been a victim and IMO a valid voice as any other. Just because people have a different outlook doesn't make them right/wrong.

I want to encourage open conversation as that's the only way people challenge and change their own outlook.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 21, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

My post was removed from the other thread and it was only a point of clarification so I can't see how that was controversial.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 21, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Pjamas
Apprentice Imagineer

The OP is encouraging a necessary debate unfortunately voices have not been heard tonight and female opinions that were requested have been silenced by men. Denying women the chance to respond to the central issues is dangerous and the patriarchy is real folks.
Pjamas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 21, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Pjamas
Apprentice Imagineer

Can we politely ask that the discussion remain in tact if not breaking policy as bias and censorship are the debate and the OPs request - it’s about a unique female perspective so please leave those voices untouched out of respect

Edited at 12:41 AM.
Pjamas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 21, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
sparrow
Imagineer

What is going on with the posts disappearing? I’ve seen plenty worse staying. Nobody’s been called names or insulted . Some women have been brave enough to share experiences. Which is a terrific thing. We have only tried to get across the impact that abuse of a sexual nature has had and continues to have. Stu please be more specific why these posts about crimes are being deleted.
Old 14 Mar 21, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Pjamas
Apprentice Imagineer

Getting back on track

Another thing men can do is accept that there may be some unconscious bias when curating female thoughts. No one enjoys self criticism, no one enjoys their ‘kind’ being criticised and accused of horrors - we need to move past that and consider how unaware males may be to this issue and learn without silencing the voices that make you uncomfortable

Edited at 12:07 AM.