Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 20 Jun 21, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
katebush95
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
I have a Cornwall booking for 10 nights from the 18th July . Cost us about £700 from memory . I could probably sell it for double now .
Maybe if overseas opens up there may be a few holding cancellable deals who cancel them at the last minute for a cheeky overseas trip

You obviously have to be prepared to either
- miss out
- pay a massive premium
-have to go somewhere else a bit more sensibly priced

I wouldn’t be paying the prices that they are going for now
I think we would be ok with not going if it stays expensive, but we could hold out for a cancellation and go at the last minute as we’ve got the time booked off.

Glenbrook Villa April 2009
Highgrove Villa July 2011
New York New York April 2017

Back to the magic take two! November 2022 Pre-Trip report
katebush95 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 21, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by katebush95 View Post
Those ships look amazing I would love to see them 😍
It is a great few days and when they are tied up at the docks, the atmosphere is really good in the town, drinking, sea shanty singing, drinking, food stalls, drinking.. I think you get the general drift!
And in great spirit.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 21, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

I think we would be ok with not going if it stays expensive, but we could hold out for a cancellation and go at the last minute as we’ve got the time booked off.
If we happen to cancel our Cornwall trip ( it in theory is only a back up to our Greece trip but think the green update will come days too late for us to go to Greece ) then I will try to remember to let you know beforehand as it sound like similar dates
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 21, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gev View Post
Pop along to Charlestown, very pretty. We were really disappointed in Lands End last year. Expensive and not value for money IMO. We loved Looe and enjoyed seeing Port Isaac. We ate at The Black Swan in Looe and loved it, but I’m not sure they’re taking bookings. Jamaica Inn is a nice visit for a drink. Cornishfrogboy is your man for all things Cornwall - I’m sure he’ll be around soon and will be able to give you better advice. Have fun!
We had such different experiences. Found Charlestown pretty but choice of restaurants wasn’t for us. Too expensive! Lands end we went when all the attractions had closed but walked along the coastal path watching the sun go down on the longest day of the year. Jamaica inn, loved it. Bit of a museum and bought the book in the gift shop and had it stamped with Jamaica inn on the inside cover. I wanted to get to St Michaels mount before coming home but it was closed that day so didn’t get the chance. Been years ago but wanted to go again. I’m afraid the journey down is too much these days, especially expect it to be bad this year. It took us 6 hours to do couple of hundred miles from Paignton last week. Horrendous.

Edited at 05:33 PM.
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 21, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
It is a great few days and when they are tied up at the docks, the atmosphere is really good in the town, drinking, sea shanty singing, drinking, food stalls, drinking.. I think you get the general drift!
And in great spirit.
CFB, we’re on our trip to Trevone the week of the Tall Ships, would we be likely to see them from the coast there or do they arrive from the opposite direction?
Loulou127 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 21, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinks2014 View Post
We are at St Ives next week. Looking forward to it. Hoping most of the g7 lot will be disappearing ..
We have an evening booking for minack theatre .
That is so special. It was a Misty day when we went and it was really atmospheric, saw it from a boat trip the next day in brilliant sunshine.

Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 21, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
bronny
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Loulou127 View Post
CFB, we’re on our trip to Trevone the week of the Tall Ships, would we be likely to see them from the coast there or do they arrive from the opposite direction?
We usually sit just below Pendennis near Little Dennis on the headland to watch them.
POFQ December 2016
POFQ and Eagle Pointe - Sep 2018
Briar Grove villa, Hard Rock, wilderness lodge and Miami twice Christmas 2019

bronny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 21, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
katebush95
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
If we happen to cancel our Cornwall trip ( it in theory is only a back up to our Greece trip but think the green update will come days too late for us to go to Greece ) then I will try to remember to let you know beforehand as it sound like similar dates
Ahh thank you! Even though we’ve moved our Kefalonia holiday to September my hubby is also still thinking we might get another last minute Greek holiday in July if it does go green 😆

Glenbrook Villa April 2009
Highgrove Villa July 2011
New York New York April 2017

Back to the magic take two! November 2022 Pre-Trip report
katebush95 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 21, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
Those ships look amazing I would love to see them 😍
They are amazing. The last time I saw them was when I was expecting my son (he’s 30 now! ) and they came up the Thames. It was an unforgettable sight. I always wanted to see them again and if you can, then do it. Nothing quite like it.
Floridafan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 21, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Loulou127 View Post
If coming from Trevone, then you are welcome to use my Dads drive. That puts you around a mile from the town centre. It is close to Falmouth Hospital. I would need notice and it is one car only. Lou Lou would have first option on that and I would arrange it

Bronny is spot on with Little Dennis, although you are low. . If you look at a map of Falmouth, they tie up largely in the Dockyard. To get there, they must inevitably sail up the Carrick Roads, although many will desail well short and motor in. They come in over a few days.
The time for the pictures is when they sail out and head for the bay of Biscay. That is a mass sailing. If you are too near to the docks, they may not initially raise their sails. It obviously depends on the wind.

If I am not in California, then I will walk from home and end up in the area of the Castle point Car Park.. or go to St Antony Light house area across the water.

Those pictures were taken near to Mawnan Smith on some high ground as they sailed out then went Stbd (To the right), sailing towards the Lizard.

The footpath between Swanpool and Maenporth would be good also.

It would make sense to Google things on the day of sailing as it will be wind dependent.

FROM A PRESS RELEASE.

17 AUGUST - 19 AUGUST 2021
The Falmouth Tall Ships event will run from 17th – 19th August 2021. The parade of sail will be Thursday 19th August, time TBC. The Tall Ships fleet will race from a point in Falmouth Bay to A Coruna in Spain.

Subject to ship arrivals, timings and weather, it is hoped visitors will be able to take tripper boats out into the Carrick Roads to view these magnificent ships at close quarters. Alongside the spectacle of ships will be plenty of shoreside activities ranging from a large carousel to markets, music and more.

Edited at 06:30 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List