Notices

Old 21 Jun 21, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsnapper
Imagineer

Are the Media in league with the Govt ?

So far today there have been 14 arrests at an anti-lockdown march in London - and 2 policemen injured.

Yet both the BBC and SKY websites are not covering this as headline news - in fact it isnt even mentioned.

The only reporting I could find was hidden in Sky's rolling daily covid report - and even then not specifically mentioned in the "headlines" at the top.

Last months demo was also hardly mentioned by the media - are they helping the Govt by covering up public dissent ?

Instead they are both headlining how travel is going to be difficult and how the PM thinks we will have a "rough winter"

Are the public being manipulated, because it sure seems like it.

Edited at 08:48 PM.
Redsnapper is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 21, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Nanna Frozen
Imagineer

I doubt it. Not the way you are describing. Not disputing the behavioural aspects of SAGE, but my opinion is that was required, especially when you see comments on here !

Edited at 07:37 PM.
Nanna Frozen is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 21, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I don't believe they are in league with them. However Journalists today are not Journalists as we used to know them and are more concerned with being 'in the pocket' of the Govt and therefore privy to early press releases and favoured by certain Politicians

Hence Robert Pathetic Peston and Beth and Laura et al get favoured.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 07:41 PM. Reason: Spelling
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 21, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Optimist
Excited about Disney

I've mentioned this on another thread. Isn't it strange that when the media have other things to report on you'd hardly know Covid existed. But a slow news day it's Covid, Covid and more Covid.

I give you the Northern Ireland news. Not much Covid mentioned here. Apart from the daily case/death update the last article was 3 days ago.
bbc/news/northern_ireland

Edited at 09:00 PM.
Optimist is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 21, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
steve30
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
I've mentioned this on another thread. Isn't it strange that when the media have other things to report on you'd hardly know Covid existed. But a slow news day it's Covid, Covid and more Covid.

I give you the Northern Ireland news. Not much Covid mentioned here. Apart from the daily case/death update the last article was 3 days ago.
bbc/news/northern_ireland
Thatís kinda how news works!
steve30 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 21, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Optimist
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by steve30 View Post
Thatís kinda how news works!
Yep. All of a sudden Covid isn't that newsworthy.
Optimist is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Andy C
Imagineer

A journalist was asked this about a previous demo and he said that basically, unless there's a really massive march or some other focus (for example, if the demo is for something that the majority are supporting, or the Government are in disarray about) and preferably both, most demos and marches go virtually unreported on. To the dismay of those protesting.
So the poll tax protests (huge and much controversy), anti-hunt-banning marches (newsworthy point: people who never protested before marching en masse, with very large numbers), the Iraq War marches (huge numbers; Government in disarray), the anti-Brexit marches (huge numbers and a subject dividing the nation) were widely reported on.
Almost all others go by without a ripple of media attention, because they don't assess them as being likely to grab attention of their readers.

I did notice that marches and demos were far more prevalent than I previously assumed when I was in central London far more often. Meeting up with some friends down Whitehall on a weekend, and it seemed that about a quarter of the time we had to avoid some march or another.
("Who is it this week?"
"Apparently protests for a Free Kurdistan"
... did set up a rapid pun of mine once.
"Never felt like Miss Muffet before?"
- "What?"
"Look. There are Kurds in the way.")
Andy C is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
hollmag28
Looking for my Ears

It was on the main headline page of BBC website yesterday as it was going on
hollmag28 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
petit-pois
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
A journalist was asked this about a previous demo and he said that basically, unless there's a really massive march or some other focus (for example, if the demo is for something that the majority are supporting, or the Government are in disarray about) and preferably both, most demos and marches go virtually unreported on. To the dismay of those protesting.
So the poll tax protests (huge and much controversy), anti-hunt-banning marches (newsworthy point: people who never protested before marching en masse, with very large numbers), the Iraq War marches (huge numbers; Government in disarray), the anti-Brexit marches (huge numbers and a subject dividing the nation) were widely reported on.
Almost all others go by without a ripple of media attention, because they don't assess them as being likely to grab attention of their readers.

I did notice that marches and demos were far more prevalent than I previously assumed when I was in central London far more often. Meeting up with some friends down Whitehall on a weekend, and it seemed that about a quarter of the time we had to avoid some march or another.
("Who is it this week?"
"Apparently protests for a Free Kurdistan"
... did set up a rapid pun of mine once.
"Never felt like Miss Muffet before?"
- "What?"
"Look. There are Kurds in the way.")
If this is the case, the new Protest Bill will make it near impossible to get any media coverage for causes, funny that!
#KillTheBill
petit-pois is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
VIP Dibber

The one at the end of May, not reported as far as I saw on the news or anywhere really.

Agree though thereís always a march in London, often at great expense, and often unrelated to us. The Tamil Tigers seems a favourite.

Edited at 08:42 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List