Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Apr 21, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post

LA trip advice DisneyLand Ca

Was due to go to Disney world for 3 weeks Sept 21 postponed from Sept 20 but have decided to postpone til following year as hoping things will be more “normal” also daughter couldn’t get time off work after joining Police. Anyways we have booked a week in LA for November. 3 days Disney land , 2 days Hollywood and 2 days Universal.
Any advice and tips gratefully received !
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

There is a west coast trip planning section, you might get better responses if you post in there as the west coast regulars more likely to see it.

Incidentally, we also just postponed September 2021 and are thinking of a quick week in LA in November instead. Not sure when the parks are due to open for non residents though.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

We could easily lose 2 weeks just in LA itself.

Who is in your group and what are their interests?

3 days Disney is about right for a first time, Universal can be done in a day for most. As above Disneyworld is currently only open to California residents, but September is a long way away.

In Anaheim there is Knotts Berry Farm, many like it, our just teenage DD found it a bit young for her though.

North of LA you have Six Flags Magic mountain which has bigger rides and less of the character side, think Thorpe Park.

2 days to just do Hollywood is too much, but if you mean 2 days as a base to do other things including Hollywood then it may be about right or too short.

There is the Warner Bros Studio Tour, Griffith Observatory and Braer Pit as examples in the immediate area. Will you want a day on the coast with Santa Monica, Venice beach etc being places to visit.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
signtalker
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Enchantedkeepsa View Post
Was due to go to Disney world for 3 weeks Sept 21 postponed from Sept 20 but have decided to postpone til following year as hoping things will be more “normal” also daughter couldn’t get time off work after joining Police. Anyways we have booked a week in LA for November. 3 days Disney land , 2 days Hollywood and 2 days Universal.
Any advice and tips gratefully received !
Tell your daughter welcome to the next 30 years of her life lol, of cancelled rest days, denied annual leave , and being recalled to duty

Jules
signtalker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I think that the best plan would be to read plenty of West Coast trip reports (possibly including the single thread one, linked from my signature and also the pre trip link).
From those reports, you will be able to formulate a specific, rather than a general plan.
From your plan, you will then be able to ask specific questions and in addition, those answering will have a better idea of exactly what you seek.

The West Coast and its many attractions is very different to Orlando for a vacation and for many, theme parks form but a small part of the whole. For what it’s worth, LA is my least favourite part of a fantastic State.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

LA is marmite - some hate it others love it (I do) so if its your first time in California then I wouldnt want a week there - maybe drive down to Sand Diego for 5 nights then back to to LA for final 2 before flight home (or vice versa) - you an do all the “must see’ in LA in whistle stop day (if you plan hard and tight - I have whopped around work colleagues in a day as I know LA well) and a day at Disney maybe enough (esp Sunday morning when it was was seem deserted - church and Sunday sport takes the locals away)

If you plan a full week there and hate it then you wont have a good time ...

Edited at 11:22 AM.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

If you want to do DisneyLand then I would look to book one of the good neighbor hotels in Anaheim for those days and then transfer up towards the Hollywood area. You could find a hotel near the redline metro, Then you don't need to use the car as much.
3 days at Disney is about right , Universal you can do it in a day (depending on time of year). But ask yourself if you have been to Universal Orlando do you want to spend time & money on that or instead do the warner studio and a day at six flags (some great rides).
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Are you planning on staying in different hotels for the different parts of the trip? One of the main things we struggled with when in LA was the awful traffic getting anywhere so would definitely recommend staying in Anaheim when doing Disney as the drive there and back every day would be soul destroying! :P
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 21, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
There is a west coast trip planning section, you might get better responses if you post in there as the west coast regulars more likely to see it.

Incidentally, we also just postponed September 2021 and are thinking of a quick week in LA in November instead. Not sure when the parks are due to open for non residents though.
Thanks will take a look I didn’t even realise it was only open to residents only at the moment but I’m sure once the US borders open up for U.K. this will change otherwise we won’t be going anyway
Old 13 Apr 21, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post

It’s me, hubby, DS6, DD19 and her BF 21. Hollywood will be just a base. Yes will def want a day at beach !