Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Jun 21, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
thehails
Dibbing with Tink

I agree with a PP that you can train them not to get up on the side in the kitchen, not to get on the table & not to scratch furniture.

We’ve got 2 cats at present & wouldn’t be without them but they do restrict you as you do always have to consider them before going away.

Both of ours hate it when we go away, 1 went missing for 18 days whilst we were in America in 2019.

We always try to arrange for somebody to come & stay at the house with them & have never sent them to a chattery. We are also fortunate that we have a neighbour who will feed them & give them cuddles whilst we are away.

They don’t smell, they don’t have litter trays but they do regularly bring in dead rodents & very often live ones!

If you go away as often as you do then you may find a cat very restrictive & costly to put into a cattery for that length of time. Now may not be the right time for you.
thehails is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Feebee2
Imagineer

My Feebee loved the cattery and never wanted to come home. I won't get another pet as I want to travel when I can.
Got to say those Bsh cats look so cute!
Feebee2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 21, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Reereef View Post
My husband and son want a kitten (definitely only one). They REALLY want a kitten and they’ve found one they love, a very adorable BSH.

However, every summer we go away (Covid times excluded) to Florida for 5 weeks. We like to also travel at Halloween, Christmas and Easter when we can afford it.

We do not have anyone who will look after a cat for us when we are away. My parents hate cats and my husband’s mum has a dog that requires muzzling.

I feel that the kitten would really tie us to our house, especially as it would have to be indoor only. And eventually the novelty will wear off.

At the same time, the kitten is gorgeous and I am finding myself tempted.

Any advice or just an opinion would be gratefully received.
Hiya RR, I like cats, I lost my 19 year old in 2018 and won't replace her because of the 178 days we're away in the winter, it's not fair on the cat, even if you find a good cattery. Mother had been enjoying our lass whilst we were away but with dad's deteriorating health it was a concern.

I understand your hubby/son think it's cute, but they may not be so enamoured once it's out of kitten mode. As you asked for honest opinions, don't get a cat, or any animal, you're not in a position to give it a steady home at the moment and if you are unable to pay cattery fees you may have to make a decision, cat or holidays

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
They make your house smell of cat.
They make you smell of cat.
You might be tempted to let it poop in your kitchen (why do people do this? litter trays in the bathroom please people).
They'll scratch things.
They lick their butts on the worktops
Everything gets covered in hair
And the smell. If people say that you/your house/your cat doesn't smell, they're either
a. cat owners who have become immune
b. lying and/or being too polite
c. have no sense of smell
Oh go on AB, don't sugar coat it, tell us what you really think...
Old 24 Jun 21, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
moosha
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
I’m sorry. I love my cat. Interestingly before I had a cat, I didn’t like them at all. Now, I feel like it’s having just another teenager in the house. Reminds me of my eldest DS quite a bit.🤣

Do understand the holiday thing though. He hates the cattery and then I hate the fact that he’s home and we’re relying on people coming in to feed him if we don’t take him to the cattery.

Sorry, I’d be getting the cat. 😬
I definitely get the teenager thing, we have two teen girls and four cats and DH and I have been saying recently it sometimes feels like we have six teens as they all think they should be entitled to do exactly what they like!

We have two seven year old boy cats who are no trouble at all and got two female kittens over the miserable winter we all just experienced. They definitely brought some joy to the long lockdown at the start of this year.

The boys don’t mind the cattery at all, and we popped down to see family in Cornwall last month so the girls had their first cattery experience too and they were fine. I think we had forgotten that holidays were ever a thing when we signed up to four cats as the cost for the cattery if we do make it to Florida for three weeks in August means we’ll probably have to sell a kidney (or cat) 🤣. Although as they all share a big pen it’s not anywhere near what it would be for four separate pens.

Kittens are mischievous though and there has been some damage to carpets (ours need replacing anyway) and a few other things around the house. One of them has chewed through five pairs of cheap earphones that my daughter has left lying around which is her own fault as she didn’t learn to keep them out of sight after it happened the first time.

Minor property damage and eye-watering cattery costs considered, still wouldn’t be without them. They’re easier to look after than other pets like dogs and caged small animals as they don’t need cleaning out after or walking etc. Our four are definitely part of the family 💜.
moosha is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 21, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Just an update…

Firstly I apologise! I asked this question and then totally forgot I asked it! I remembered a few days ago and checked and have given some of your responses a lot of thought (and laughed at quite a few too!)

So, we have discussed and I’ve made some of your points to my husband and whilst my son would still LOVE a kitten, DH and I agree that it’s probably not for us. We love our holidays.

DS is 16 and will soon be off to uni and it’s going to be us left looking after a cat for the next 14 years, unable to travel when we please.

I absolutely love British Short Hairs and this was a blue colour point, so a real cutie…but even so, I think when I (as a pp put it) have to choose between a cat and a holiday…the holiday wins every time.

Eventually DH and I would like to be in a position to spend 6 months here and 6 months travelling (or in Florida)…so, we are parking the kitten idea and I’m blocking Pets 4 Homes and all FB cat groups.

Thank you all for the advice and experiences!
Old 2 Jul 21, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
rudie111
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by thehails View Post
I agree with a PP that you can train them not to get up on the side in the kitchen, not to get on the table & not to scratch furniture.

We’ve got 2 cats at present & wouldn’t be without them but they do restrict you as you do always have to consider them before going away.

Both of ours hate it when we go away, 1 went missing for 18 days whilst we were in America in 2019.

We always try to arrange for somebody to come & stay at the house with them & have never sent them to a chattery. We are also fortunate that we have a neighbour who will feed them & give them cuddles whilst we are away.

They don’t smell, they don’t have litter trays but they do regularly bring in dead rodents & very often live ones!

If you go away as often as you do then you may find a cat very restrictive & costly to put into a cattery for that length of time. Now may not be the right time for you.
A chattery eh, can I send my wide?
rudie111 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 21, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by rudie111 View Post
A chattery eh, can I send my wide?
Your wide what?
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 21, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
rudie111
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dinglebert View Post
Your wide what?
Oops! I meant my wife
rudie111 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List