Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Jun 21, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
I must be getting old!

Today I was thinking about my Granny and that she would never allow us to eat as we walked in the street. All food had to be consumed sat down!

We occasionally went for afternoon tea at a big department store where they had young lady mannequins walking around elegantly displaying clothes that were for sale and a grand piano playing. We had tea and cakes and a tray of cream cakes were bought to the table. Cake choice went in age order, Granny first, then the adults then the children. Today it would always be children first.

Sundays were Sunday school or church, all ladies wore a hat! I left home at 18 to the joys of London and a weekly (if that) call home from the phone box!

I told you, I'm getting old!

Funny you should write that. A couple of weeks ago on a walk a friend bought a sandwich from Starbucks and gave me half on the street. I blanched and said my Mother is turning in her grave (I couldn’t eat it till I sat down and even then in the street I felt dirty) - my friend was American and thought I was very odd lol. I still cant eat ice cream in the street (Learjet behaviour)

I remember going to Liberty with Mother for afternoon tea and seeing the mannequins walking about - she scribbled down numbers and a week or so later a box arrived at home with the gowns or whatever. (No wonder I turned out gay lol) - even when we saw Cruella with my sister when Liberty was one we said remember Mummy taking us there for her seasons wardrobe . We never tried clothes on in a shop - what we like we asked for our sizes and they were sent home to try (on appro) what didnt work was returned and an account sent out later for the rest. Trusting times

Happy memories

Edited at 11:46 AM.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Oh I love these sort of threads but I have to go out soon - to Boots while we are talking blasts from the past.

We had a phone which for some odd reason was in top of the TV so everyone sat round and listened. It was a busy corner too because the budgie cage and stand were there (blue budgie called Joey of course). At night the cage was lifted onto top of mantelpiece and cat was allowed into room.
As not all our neighbours had phones they used to use ours and there was a sort of egg timer in a phone box and a little pot for money.

We had a beautiful large front room which was rarely used, we all clustered into "dining room" which had large table and chairs and matching sideboard, armchairs as well as TV phone budgie and cat.

Oh and all neighbours were Mr and Mrs.
We had a phone but it was a party line, if you picked it up when the neighbour was talking you could listen to their conversation!
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Funny you should write that. A couple of weeks ago on a walk a friend bought a sandwich from Starbucks and gave me half on the street. I blanched and said my Mother is turning in her grave (I couldn’t eat it till I sat down and even then in the street I felt dirty) - my friend was American and thought I was very odd lol. I still cant eat ice cream in the street (Learjet behaviour)

I remember going to Liberty with Mother for afternoon tea and seeing the mannequins walking about - she scribbled down numbers and a week or so later a box arrived at home with the gowns or whatever. (No wonder I turned out gay lol) - even when we saw Cruella with my sister when Liberty was one we said remember Mummy taking us there for her seasons wardrobe . We never tried clothes on in a shop - what we like we asked for our sizes and they were sent home to try (on appro) what didnt work was returned and an account sent out later for the rest. Trusting times

Happy memories
Yes, on apro, account later. I remember
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

We had a phone but it was a party line, if you picked it up when the neighbour was talking you could listen to their conversation!
Oh Lord if we'd have had that we would never have moved my Mother!
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

We didnt have a bath when we were very little, my mum would sit us on the draining board and wash us all over, huge butler sink. Saturday morning pictures of course. Sunday dinner was always a 3pm and tea was always shell fish (van used to come round and sell from the back0 Winkles, cockels, whelks, and very very occasionally prawns. Followed by bread and Jam and cake. I miss those Sunday teas.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
We always had a bath on a Sunday 😂
U must have been well off then 😂
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

As kids my Granny lived in the Kent countryside my Grandad owned a couple of Service station with mechanic shops.

Opposit my Grannies they owned a 10 acre field that a local farmer rented for sheep, right at the bottom of that field was a ten foot wide stream, about 18 inches deep. From quite young maybe 4 and 6 we used to go down there alone and dam up the stream with wood and stones and get oil drums and make a raft to float on the stream. Idilyic!

Can't imagine any parent today not supervising that!
Old 22 Jun 21, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

As kids my Granny lived in the Kent countryside my Grandad owned a couple of Service station with mechanic shops.

Opposit my Grannies they owned a 10 acre field that a local farmer rented for sheep, right at the bottom of that field was a ten foot wide stream, about 18 inches deep. From quite young maybe 4 and 6 we used to go down there alone and dam up the stream with wood and stones and get oil drums and make a raft to float on the stream. Idilyic!

Can't imagine any parent today not supervising that!
We use to walk for miles unsupervised . Through the woods to the river.
Would be gone all day with a sandwich and a bottle of squash .
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Detention at school if you were caught eating in the street or for not wearing your white gloves in summer or navy ones in winter.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
skb 123
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
We always had a bath on a Sunday 😂
And if you were lucky, you got to go first with the fresh water! 😳
skb 123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List