Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 10 Oct 17, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Touring Tennessee Day 11: Dollywood!

We all slept well in our cabin and had our breakfast on the deck - cereal and toast which made a nice change from hotel breakfasts.

Today we were going to Dollywood and Paul was getting into full on grumpy Dad mode, chuntering about theme parks and then about having to pay $12 dollars to park. He barely even cracked a smile at the Dollywood sign with the huge butterflies, while the rest of us got pretty excited. At least we hadn't brought any bags so we didn't have to queue for bag check . . .

Once through the turnstiles, a butterfly flew over and landed on Paul's hand. It sat/stood there for a good while and he was quite charmed.

We suspect it had been sent by Dolly herself, to "turn that frown upside down". And it worked!

As we were there just after opening, the rides were a walk on so we made the most of that. Evan isn't a huge fan of big coasters, so he looked after our stuff while the rest of us went on the Mystery Mine which was quite insane! The rides at Dollywood are similar to Universal - only more intense.

After the Mystery Mine, we could all still walk so we went to the Wild Eagle. This is a wing coaster, where you sit either side of the track rather than on top of it. It was again pretty intense but also very smooth and I enjoyed it.

Not wanting to push my luck, I joined Evan in on the bench while Paul and Hannah did the Tennessee Tornado which was far too many loop the loops for me.

After that, we persuaded Evan to try Blazing Fury which was pretty tame and very silly before we all queued up for the Firechaser Express. This was the first time we had had to queue and we must have waited about 40 minutes. The ride itself was great fun, blasting you both forwards and backwards, and Hannah and I did manage to dab at the photo opportunity. Evan hadn't been keen but did enjoy that one.

After that, we went on Daredevil Falls, which is a log flume, but didn't get too wet, fortunately. By this time, we were getting hungry, so we shared a fried chicken sandwich and fries, before going to watch a show. One of the lovely things about Dollywood is that there are so many other things to do - you could spend all day watching shows and mooching around the shops and exhibitions, and not go on a single coaster.

The Back Porch Theater had a really good group of singers, doing favourite country songs and we really enjoyed it. The singers were great and it was a really good atmosphere.

We were in need of more food, so we got a couple of sandwiches and shared them before heading to another show, the Country Crossroads, which is a history of country music. Before the show, we were entertained by Miss Lilian, the chicken lady, who was delightfully strange and hilarious.

We went to watch a bluegrass band after this and saw a big Amish family group watching as well. We were surprised to see that one of them had a digital camera, as we thought they didn't use such technology, but they were all fascinated by it!

We did miss out on Lightning Rod, which was either not working, or had a huge queue, but there were so many other good rides that it didn't really matter. We went on the rapids, Smokey Mountain River Rampage, and I was the one who got totally drenched. Boy, were those wet shorts fun for the rest of the day!

We thought Dollywood was really good fun and totally charming. The theming is excellent and it's a lovely place to spend time. We did a couple more rides - Thunderhead, which rattled us about, and the Mountain Sidewinder, where you fly down in a rubber boat shaped like a log. That was probably one of our favourites.

There was also a train with a photobombing driver.

My sister had recommended the cinnamon bread, so we picked up a warm loaf, fully intending to eat it back at the cabin. However, we had scoffed the lot before we even got on the bus back to the carpark!

We did call at the gift shop on the way out and I picked up a Dollywood sweatshirt and Hannah got a gorgeous barrel shaped mug. Even Paul, who if you remember didn't really want to go, got himself a Dollywood t-shirt. Guess that Dolly magic really worked on him!

It was a really lovely family fun day and I can thoroughly recommend Dollywood as a theme park, especially as there is so much to do. We didn't get a chance to explore Dolly's tour bus as there was always too much of a queue, but we did see the recreation of the tiny two room shack that she grew up in, with 10 siblings!

On the way back, we called to Food City and picked up some burgers and buns and had a grill on the porch, taking in the wonderful views once again.

And enjoying some nice ale.

Then it was time chill in the hot tub once again before bed.

Edited at 08:23 PM.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 17, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

I read good things about Dollywood - glad that you all had a great day (even Paul!)

Still a gorgeous view from the cabin!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 17, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

what a completely fantastic day , it all looks brilliant. So many great rides and shows, a really fun day out - even Grumpy Dad getting in the mood there - love that bit about Dolly's butterfly landing on him !
And how lovely to have a BBQ at home after such a brilliant day. Perfect !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 17, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Another great day, we loved Dollywood too and glad you got some cinnamon bread, still dreaming about that now!
katiebaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 17, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
I read good things about Dollywood - glad that you all had a great day (even Paul!)

Still a gorgeous view from the cabin!
Dollywood was fantastic - we all had a fantastic day.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 17, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
what a completely fantastic day , it all looks brilliant. So many great rides and shows, a really fun day out - even Grumpy Dad getting in the mood there - love that bit about Dolly's butterfly landing on him !
And how lovely to have a BBQ at home after such a brilliant day. Perfect !
Dollywood is really good day out - we can thoroughly recommend it! Your boys would love the rides.
Old 15 Oct 17, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by katiebaz View Post
Another great day, we loved Dollywood too and glad you got some cinnamon bread, still dreaming about that now!
The cinnamon bread was so good - we have to try and make some at home
Old 18 Oct 17, 06:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Jesslydevie1
Very Serious Dibber

Oh what a fabulous family day , it’s days like this that make a holiday xx
Old 19 Oct 17, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
DOllywood sounds fantastic. Another great day.
Old 21 Oct 17, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jesslydevie1 View Post
Oh what a fabulous family day , it’s days like this that make a holiday xx
It was such a fantastic day - we loved it