Link to this Post
Erial
VIP Dibber

New York, New York - May/June 2016 - Day 8, Home and Highs & Lows

New York, New York
Saturday 4th June 2016
Day 8 – Home and Highs & Lows

Previous: Shopping & Empire State Building

Today it was time to go home! Boo! We’d done most of our packing the night before so only had toiletries and a few bits to get into our cases this morning. We actually remembered to take some photos of the apartment too.

The apartment’s reception allowed us to leave our bags there as we weren’t flying until the afternoon.

We decided to head back to our favourite deli for one last breakfast. Breakfast rolls for me, Jeff and Abi and a healthy fruit salad with a muffin for Izzy.

We then had a couple of last minute bits of shopping to get. A friend had asked me to get an A&F aftershave for her son’s birthday so that was our first port of call. I thought this would be a straightforward task but on entering the store we were faced with about 12 different options of aftershave! I had no idea which one and given that it was still 5am at home didn’t think my friend would appreciate a text! In the end, we opted for the one that was exclusive to the New York store on the theory that he wouldn’t be able to get that anywhere else. Jeff also quite liked this one so we figured worst case we’d just keep it and Jeff would use it. Fortunately, my friend’s son loved it! Phew!

Next up was the shop I’d been waiting all week for! Tiffany’s! I was very excited to get a Tiffany necklace. There were so many beautiful ones to choose from but eventually I settled on a Paloma Picasso one that is beautiful. It is very pretty but in hindsight I should have gone for a slightly longer chain. I am wondering if I can get the chain lengthened or replaced at the Tiffany’s at the Florida Mall in August.

We didn’t really have much time left to go elsewhere so we just grabbed some drinks and sat watching the world go by on 5th Avenue.

Eventually we made our way back to our apartment and waited in the reception area for our transfers.

We were pleased we were one of the first pick ups for the little minibus as he really crammed the last lot of people in. I’m sure the minibus was overfilled and it made for a very hot, cramped and lightly scary journey back to the airport. We had considered just getting a taxi instead of booking transfers but we were concerned they wouldn't fit all for us in plus 4 cases and 4 lots of hand luggage.

Once at the airport we grabbed some food in one of the food courts and before long we were boarding for home.

On the airplane I seemed to have a broken seat as it was reclined and wouldn’t stay upright when I leaned back on it. I told the air hostess who tried the seat and confirmed it did appear to broken. She went to check if there were any seats in 1st class (I really kept my fingers crossed for an upgrade ) but unfortunately it was full. She gave me two options. They either got an engineer out to fix the chair which would delay the flight for around 2 hours or I swapped with my daughter. Being a smaller child she didn’t have the weight to make the chair recline anyway. We went for swapping seats! I didn’t want to be responsible for holding the flight up although I did feel a bit nervous putting my daughter in a ‘broken’ seat.

After that interesting start the rest of the flight was pretty uneventful. The flight back from New York always seems so short compared to Orlando and not much more than 6 hours later we were touching down in Manchester and another holiday was over!

Thank you to everyone who has stuck with me. I’m sorry it has taken me so long to get this written up and posted.

A couple of Highs and Lows from the trip

Highs:

Our apartment – whilst not the most luxurious accommodation was perfect for us. We loved having the extra space that an apartment gives and the location was fabulous. We were very close to Time Square (literally around the corner) but not so close that the noise was a problem. We were also just steps away from the subway station which made getting around really easily.

One World – I really love doing this. Whilst the Empire State Building is still my favourite skycrapper because of it’s iconic status I thought that the One World Observatory was done amazingly and the special effects in the lift are wonderful.

Coney Island – We loved our day out at the seaside. If only doing 4 days in New York I probably wouldn’ have made the effort but in the middle of a week long holiday it made a lovely break from city life.

Weather – the weather was perfect for us. It was hot and sunny 90% of the time but not so hot that it made it uncomfortable to get around. Having previously been to New York in July and November I would say that May was easily my favourite time of the year to go.

Lows:

Food - We were a bit disappointed that we didn’t get to eat in as many nice restaurants as we’d intended. This was partly because we lost 2 evenings towards the end of the week going up TOTR and ESB but also because at the beginning of the week we were often too tired by late evening to eat out.

Hop On Hop Off Bus – We had a 3 day ticket and this was way too long. We made the mistake of using the buses as transport as well as sightseeing and so we lost a lot of time on them as they’re so slow to get around. By the 3rd day we ditched the buses and used the subway. We should have done this sooner.

Central Park – It’s not Central Park itself that was a low, it was the fact that we didn’t get any tie to explore it (or any of uptown Manhattan really). I guess even in a week you don’t have time to see everything. All the more reason to book I return trip I say!

Thanks for reading.
Claire
x

2005 - Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa * 2011 - Wyndham LBV Resort * 2013 - Sheraton Vistana Resort LBV - Trip Report - Complete * 2014 - Kissimmee Villa - Trip Report - Complete * 2015 - Hard Rock Hotel & Beach Club - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - New York - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - Massachusetts Road Trip - Trip Report - Complete * 2017 - Florida Road Trip & Old Key West * 2018 - Florida Road Trip & Polynesian * 2019 - SSR, Grand Floridian & Boardwalk
Erial is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 17, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Wow what a fab end to your trippie, a necklace from Tiffany's, what a shame it needs to be lengthened. I've really enjoyed reading your NYC adventures. Thank you for writing it. I hope you have a fab time on your next holiday. 😀

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 17, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Katycoco
Excited about Disney

Great report, were off to new York in October, it's our first time, so your tips are great for us to use.
Katycoco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 17, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Thanks for taking the time to write up the report! What a wonderful week you had!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 17, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney4Three
Very Serious Dibber

Great report thank you for taking the time to write it, it's given me lots of ideas for our August trip
Disney4Three is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 17, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Erial
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Wow what a fab end to your trippie, a necklace from Tiffany's, what a shame it needs to be lengthened. I've really enjoyed reading your NYC adventures. Thank you for writing it. I hope you have a fab time on your next holiday. 😀
You're welcome. Yes, I love my necklace I do wear it shorter I'd just feel more comfortable with it a little bit longer.

Originally Posted by Katycoco View Post
Great report, were off to new York in October, it's our first time, so your tips are great for us to use.
I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time. It's such a fabulous city!

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Thanks for taking the time to write up the report! What a wonderful week you had!
You're welcome. That you for reading and commenting.

Originally Posted by Disney4Three View Post
Great report thank you for taking the time to write it, it's given me lots of ideas for our August trip
Thank you. I'm sure you'll have a fab time in August. I'm glad you found my trippie useful.

Thank you for reading.
Claire
x

2005 - Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa * 2011 - Wyndham LBV Resort * 2013 - Sheraton Vistana Resort LBV - Trip Report - Complete * 2014 - Kissimmee Villa - Trip Report - Complete * 2015 - Hard Rock Hotel & Beach Club - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - New York - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - Massachusetts Road Trip - Trip Report - Complete * 2017 - Florida Road Trip & Old Key West * 2018 - Florida Road Trip & Polynesian * 2019 - SSR, Grand Floridian & Boardwalk
Erial is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 17, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
emmabanana
VIP Dibber

Great trip report, thanks for posting, Tiffany will lengthen the necklace for you, its worth contacting customer services. They should do it for free but it depends how long you've had it.
emmabanana is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 17, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
singerella
Excited about Disney

Great trip report! You clearly had a fantastic time, thanks for writing it up!
singerella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 17, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Erial
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by emmabanana View Post
Great trip report, thanks for posting, Tiffany will lengthen the necklace for you, its worth contacting customer services. They should do it for free but it depends how long you've had it.
That's good to know, thank you. I shall contact them before we go tot Florida this summer. I will have had the necklace just over 12 months then.

Originally Posted by singerella View Post
Great trip report! You clearly had a fantastic time, thanks for writing it up!
You're welcome!

Thanks for reading.
Claire
x

Old 27 Nov 17, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
f1girly
Imagineer

Thanks so much for your trip details, not going until next year, but super excited!
f1girly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List