Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jul 19, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

I too think 17 days too much but they are your kids so your choice. It's not just about the savings versus the fine, that bad attendance will be on your child's record and it could get you reported to the authorities. Who knows what will happen in the future with sickness etc - it could be that your DD gets chicken pox or something and is off for a week and it all adds up. I personally wouldn't want the embarrassment of a fine or even a court case if it came to it and I certainly wouldn't want me or my child to be tainted as a new person to the school.

We all love WDW, that's why we are on the forum but sometimes you can get a bit blinkered with trip planning and trying to go as much as possible. We would love to go every year but costs, annual leave and other life gets in the way. In another thread of yours you have admitted you are getting a bit obsessed with wanting your DH to take time off when he has no annual leave etc. Yes, it's amazing to see the look on your children's faces etc but when they are that age they are just as happy to have a week's holiday by the sea in a hotel with a pool - my DD loved going to Spain for a week, swimming and eating as much ice cream as she could!

I think you need to step back from the whole WDW thing for a while and reassess as you are getting sucked down a Disney vortex and are struggling to get out.
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Everything I have read, including Government regulation and LA policies refers to a fine (penalty notice) for unauthorised absence of £60 per parent per child (of statutory school age) for each period of absence. I have not seen any reference to the fine being £60 per week. If anyone who thinks it is indeed £60 per week could provide a link to a LA policy or government document, it would be very helpful. Thanks
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Everything I have read, including Government regulation and LA policies refers to a fine (penalty notice) for unauthorised absence of £60 per parent per child (of statutory school age) for each period of absence. I have not seen any reference to the fine being £60 per week. If anyone who thinks it is indeed £60 per week could provide a link to a LA policy or government document, it would be very helpful. Thanks
I can't find anything in specific just up to £2,500 but if you google a Mum recovering from chemo was given a £788 for taking 2 children out for 6 days (I only read it yesterday so it is recently). So it seems the figure can be anything up to £2,500. I can only go on what I've been told which is parents locally have been fined per week.
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by jdndt View Post
I can't find anything in specific just up to £2,500 but if you google a Mum recovering from chemo was given a £788 for taking 2 children out for 6 days (I only read it yesterday so it is recently). So it seems the figure can be anything up to £2,500. I can only go on what I've been told which is parents locally have been fined per week.
I saw that about the mum and chemo, absolutely disgusting!
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Appalling story I read this online yesterday, makes the school and local authority look completely heartless
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

I know - truly heartless. If that isn't exceptional circumstances I don't know what is!
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes, I’d read that as well. This case went to court, presumably because the family had not paid the penalty notice (fine) within the 28 day period. The £788 is probably made up of fines and court costs. The maximum fine a court can impose is £2500 or imprisonment.
Given the circumstances of this case there does appear to be a lack of compassion all round.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Yes, I’d read that as well. This case went to court, presumably because the family had not paid the penalty notice (fine) within the 28 day period. The £788 is probably made up of fines and court costs. The maximum fine a court can impose is £2500 or imprisonment.
Given the circumstances of this case there does appear to be a lack of compassion all round.
Totally heartless in this case.

I read that they went to court to appeal and the court upped the ‘fine’ to £250 for the Mum and £500 odd for the Dad which included court costs.

They also said that they were gifted the holiday by friends and didn’t get a reply to their holiday request from the school until 2 days before (had filled the form in about 5 weeks previously) when they rang to chase it up.