Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 May 22, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
littlefeet1972
Apprentice Imagineer

Where to start

Hi all we are looking to book for 2023 and was going to try Disneyland rather than WDW as we have been there 5 times before and at the moment not feeling the love for WDW but need a Disney trip to look forward to.

However I haven’t a clue where to start looking for Disneyland. Do you have to book everything separate.
Is it likely to be more expensive

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
littlefeet1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 22, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Are you going just for Disneyland or to explore the wider area? San Francisco, San Diego, LA, Las Vegas, PCH, Yosemite etc etc?

For Disneyland, unlike WDW, there are many hotels situated close by (walking distance) in a range of prices.

Some of our best holidays have been a California / Nevada road trip and we’ve visited DL for a few days as part of that. Most people wouldn’t spend a fortnight in the DL area.
Old 28 May 22, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
littlefeet1972
Apprentice Imagineer

Yes we would like to do universal San Francisco and anything else that would fit into the trip
littlefeet1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 22, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by littlefeet1972 View Post
Yes we would like to do universal San Francisco and anything else that would fit into the trip
Universal Studios Hollywood is about a 60 to 90 minute drive from Disneyland depending on the time of day.

San Francisco is about an 10 hour direct drive from LA. Most people fly to San Francisco and take a few days to drive to LA, stopping off at various inland towns, forests, national parks and coastal towns.

Vegas is another option which some people add in.

The typical LA tourist things like Hollywood Walk of Fame etc are located in LA, which is about a 60 minute drive to Disneyland.

Disneyland is located in Anaheim, which is an urban residential town / city. The maximum number of park day tickets you can buy are 5 park days. Most people dont do 5 days, 4 days is ideal but 3 or 2 days are just as good depending on your preference and budget.

Offsite hotels and motels are the norm, its not like Florida where offiste villas are very popular.

First timers from UK and Ireland really underestimate the size and distance involved and try to pack in too much.

The first thing to decided is what exactly do you want to see, what are your priorities.

Do you want the big road trip, with a few days at theme parks and the main famous tourist spots?

Do you want a Disney and theme park trip similar to a Florida trip?

Do you want a city trip?

Do you want to see national parks, forests, the coast?

Do you want to do lots of driving or do you want a base to see lots of things?
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 22, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by littlefeet1972 View Post
How long is your trip and will you want to drive?

Will you want some chill time (eg beaches) as well as seeing various sites across California and the wider area?
Old 30 May 22, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Ah80207
Excited about Disney

If I may hijack, as I was about to start exactly the same thread!….. I am looking for a similar experience to Florida but we are tied to August and I didn’t enjoy the august weather in Florida. A few days in the theme parks, some water parks too? Don’t mind driving to them…. Universal for a couple of days and the mainly chilling and enjoying lovely sun/ pool time. We have never been one for the relentless long day after day in the parks, we like to eat out and relax a lot too! So just wondering if California could be a nice change for a holiday?
Ah80207 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 22, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ah80207 View Post
If I may hijack, as I was about to start exactly the same thread!….. I am looking for a similar experience to Florida but we are tied to August and I didn’t enjoy the august weather in Florida. A few days in the theme parks, some water parks too? Don’t mind driving to them…. Universal for a couple of days and the mainly chilling and enjoying lovely sun/ pool time. We have never been one for the relentless long day after day in the parks, we like to eat out and relax a lot too! So just wondering if California could be a nice change for a holiday?
If you are looking for something similar to your Florida holiday, you wont really get that in California.

Disneyland is max a 5 day park, as thats the max number of days you can get on a ticket. Most people find 5 days too much and 2 to 3 days the perfect amount.

Universal is a 2 day max park, many people find 1 day sufficient but do a 2nd day to go back to their favourites.

Disney and Universal are not near each other. Its about a 90 minute drive between the two and most people do a 2 location stay.

The only water theme park I know of is Great Wolf Lodge which is near Disneyland.

At Universal if you want pool time with theme park time you would need to stay at either the Hilton Universal or The Sheridan. Both are walking distance to Universal.

If you want pool time with theme park time at Disneyland, Howard Johnsons would be a good choice which is walkable to to Disney or there are many other hotels like Hilton Marriott etc which are not walkable but have pools.

Or if your budget allows Disneyland Hotel or Grand California Hotel.

As for beachs, there are many beach towns, depending on your location and what you want to do.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 22, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Ils
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
If you are looking for something similar to your Florida holiday, you wont really get that in California.

Disneyland is max a 5 day park, as thats the max number of days you can get on a ticket. Most people find 5 days too much and 2 to 3 days the perfect amount.

Universal is a 2 day max park, many people find 1 day sufficient but do a 2nd day to go back to their favourites.

Disney and Universal are not near each other. Its about a 90 minute drive between the two and most people do a 2 location stay.

The only water theme park I know of is Great Wolf Lodge which is near Disneyland.

At Universal if you want pool time with theme park time you would need to stay at either the Hilton Universal or The Sheridan. Both are walking distance to Universal.

If you want pool time with theme park time at Disneyland, Howard Johnsons would be a good choice which is walkable to to Disney or there are many other hotels like Hilton Marriott etc which are not walkable but have pools.

Or if your budget allows Disneyland Hotel or Grand California Hotel.

As for beachs, there are many beach towns, depending on your location and what you want to do.
There are three other water parks in South California. One at Knott's, Six Flags and a new one outside San Diego (Sesame Street themed) which used to be Aquatica. However, if they are wanting theming along the lines of TL, BB or VB then their expectations will not be met.

Also those Water Parks are only open during the summer months.
Ils is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 22, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Ah80207 View Post
It’s a very different holiday to Florida .

I saw someone mention the Great Wolf Lodge , it does have a water park.. I’ve just come back from a stay in one in North Carolina.. But its the sort of place you go to and stay for what the resort offers rather than as a base for elsewhere.

That’s why we never stop in the one in Anaheim , I go to Anaheim for Disneyland do our days and leave , The Great Wolf ( & Anaheim in general ) isn’t a good base for the rest of LA.
daytonababe is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 22, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Ourdaybydesign
Excited about Disney

Weve just been and did a trip report which might give some ideas:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1224939
Hong Kong Disneyland {1}: May 2017
Ourdaybydesign is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List