Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 14 May 22, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
HermioneGranger
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Our 2022 Honeymoon - NYC, SF, LA, SD and Hawaii - Day 1

Day 1 - 12 May 22 - NYC

I woke up at 3.00 and then again at 4.30 and couldn’t get back to sleep. The bed was comfy and I’d had a good sleep. I played on my phone and finished my notes before I eventually got up around 6.30.

After showering, Chris was awake (I had been a little noisy) and we both got ready. I had chosen a random breakfast show to watch today - I just absolutely love them on the US but would never watch them at home. We had been given two tokens for a free breakfast when we checked in so we decided to go there. We had an $18 dollar spend. I got bacon, eggs and toast with a coffee and Chris got pancakes and bacon. Nicely full, we set off for the subway at around 8.15

We walked about 8 minutes to the subway and tapped on using our travel money card. This was so easy and just like using the tube in London. A train was already there so we stepped on and we were on our way. Our first stop was Christopher Street where we walked for 5 mins to the friends building. Photos taken we headed back for the train where we got off at Franklin’s Street to see the Ghostbuster’s HQ. This was pretty cool. Chris was all chuffed haha. Both of these things were good to do on the way to way to something else.

After this we walked down to the 9/11 memorial museum and got there about 9.20. We were booked in for general admission at 10.00 and there was already a queue. We decided to quickly get more coffee for me and a water for Chris and get back in the queue. We waited about 20 min and were let in slightly early. I was completely blown away by the museum. I found it so emotional and poignant. So moving and raw. It was so well thought out and really moved me. I simply couldn’t look at all of the exhibits as I was so taken aback but I would recommend it to anyone.

After this, we walked down to Battery Park. The sun was shining and we were both reflecting on what we’d just seen and what we remembered from when we were younger.

When we got to Battery Park about 12.00 we grabbed a hot dog and a Gatorade from a cart (amazing, another trip aim ticked off) and then headed into the waiting area for a our trip to Liberty island. After going through security we got onto the ferry and onto the top deck about 12.30. We were originally booked onto the 1300 ferry so we were ahead of schedule. The Statue of Liberty is incredible. I loved her. The views from the top deck of her and of the skyline were awesome.

We docked at Liberty Island and set off for walk to see her up close. A few photos later, an ice cream for Chris and we were back on the ferry to Ellis Island.

I loved this museum, so engaging and interesting. I thought it really well put together and informative. We walked around for 2 hours looking at all the exhibits. I would highly recommend coming here. We decided to head for the ferry as they were shouting last call so we had to run - my poor feet!

Once we got off back in Battery Park we sat for a few minutes to plan our route before we set off to see the Charging Bull. There was a bigger queue of people trying to get photos with his balls than with his face! We then walked round to Wall Street before we heading toward the Brooklyn Bridge. I loved walking over this. The views were insane, it was lovely and sunny and we were just chatting nonsense. It was perfect.

When we got to Brooklyn, we’d been recommended a pizza place by a friend so we walked round to Grimauldis in Front Street. There was a small queue as they weren’t open it until 5 and it was 16.50 so we joined it and within a few minutes we were sat down. They do either 16 or 18 inch pizzas so we picked an 18inch The Don which came with salami, pepperoni and sausage and two beers.

Oh my god, this pizza was to die for. Crispy crust, cheesy, meaty, stunning. Absolutely stunning. If you’re in Brooklyn I would definitely suggest coming here, it was so good. This came to 46 dollars, or 55 with tip.

We then left and we’re planning on heading down to the East River Ferry but a bar next door had a happy hour on drinks so we stopped for a beer and a cocktail. This was so nice, we were outside in the sun just chatting about our day and resting our feet.

We then headed to the ferry and after about a 10 minute wait we were on board and sailing down the East River at sunset for $2.75. I’d read about this in a trip report on here and it was such a good idea. We got a great view of the skyline and the sunset.

We got off at East 34th street and then had the debate of do we walk or do we get the bus. There was a bus due but we couldn’t get the ticket machine to work. We decided to walk but then I remembered the bus let’s you tap on. There was a bus just about to arrive so we hopped on and rode for 20 mins until we were dropped off at the end of our block.

We were in the room for 2015 and I was soon sound asleep for 2100.

What an absolutely brilliant day. It genuinely surpassed all of my expectations and I had and amazing time.
HermioneGranger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 22, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

What a great start!

No photos of the Bulls balls?

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 22, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

What a great day & a lovely sunset too
We’ve done Brooklyn bridge, lots of walking in NY 🙊💪
X

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 22, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The dreaded jet lag waking you up super early didn't affect your day. Lovely lady liberty and the walk across Brooklyn bridge, followed by pizza, it's got to be done when you're in NYC! The skyline when you're looking back across the water is fantastic. Great sunset photos.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 22, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
pumpkin
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Oh my goodness loving this can't wait to read more, thanks for sharing
Old 1 Jun 22, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

This will be great!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 22, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Ooh this brings back so many memories! What a great start to the trip.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 22, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Really looking forward to this one!

Old 13 Jul 22, 06:56 AM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great start and you packed a lot in. I loved Ellis Island.
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 22, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyNikki
slightly serious Dibber

What a perfect day!
DisneyNikki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List