Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Aug 22, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
faeriequeene
Getting to know the DIBB

Carry-on Souvenirs / toys etc.

Hi there,

We're flying out Wednesday with American Airlines for a 3 week stay - 2 adults + a teen, a tween and a kid

It is our third time at WDW as a family and due to getting a connecting flight and my utter paranoia that cases will disappear, we are bringing 5 x cabin cases + 5 x backpacks onto the plane, then checking one average sized case in the hold, which we plan to pack with replacables.

Does anybody know how lenient airlines / airports are if you have "extras" on the way back. The kids have been saving up for literally years after our 2020 trip was cancelled and have a few hundred dollars each that the younger two at least will be spending on toys. Last time we had to buy a case over there (one child had a Disney birthday), but this time I'm hoping now that they're older the toys will be smaller and we'll be able to pack most things they buy in the space vacated by the toiletries we won't be bringing back. BUT, would we be okay carrying a teddy or a carrier bag of souvenirs? It's been 5 years since we were there and I honestly can't remember if people do this, lol.
Old 8 Aug 22, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer2802
Imagineer

Imagineer2802's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 27

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 74
Are you sure you'll be allowed to take a full cabin bag AND a full rucksack each on the plane? That is a lot.

Flying back from MCO previously they have allowed us on with the odd carrier bag or big cuddly, but remember space on the plane isn't infinite. If everyone took a rucksack, a cabin bag and a carrier bag stuffed with things, some peoples luggage simply wouldn't fit.

2019 - August - Europe on the Magic! 17th Trip!

**~ °o° ~°o° ~ °o°~°o° ~°o° ~ °o°~**
Imagineer2802 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoguy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by faeriequeene View Post
Hi there,

We're flying out Wednesday with American Airlines for a 3 week stay - 2 adults + a teen, a tween and a kid

It is our third time at WDW as a family and due to getting a connecting flight and my utter paranoia that cases will disappear, we are bringing 5 x cabin cases + 5 x backpacks onto the plane, then checking one average sized case in the hold, which we plan to pack with replacables.

Does anybody know how lenient airlines / airports are if you have "extras" on the way back. The kids have been saving up for literally years after our 2020 trip was cancelled and have a few hundred dollars each that the younger two at least will be spending on toys. Last time we had to buy a case over there (one child had a Disney birthday), but this time I'm hoping now that they're older the toys will be smaller and we'll be able to pack most things they buy in the space vacated by the toiletries we won't be bringing back. BUT, would we be okay carrying a teddy or a carrier bag of souvenirs? It's been 5 years since we were there and I honestly can't remember if people do this, lol.
I’d check with your airline as that’s a lot of hand luggage and they may insist on you checking in your carry on cases
Orlandoguy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyStacey
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I agree with the above to double check with your airline. A cabin case and a handbag/ small sized bag is usually okay, but a cabin case and a backpack each may be pushing it. A small bag “as you would usually use it” is usually the phrase - meaning to hold things it would normally have in it (purse, wallet, phone, etc) - not things regarded as “baggage”.

DD has bought a small cuddly toy in hand in the past (although it would’ve fit in her bag - she just wanted to carry it). We have also taken a carrier bag on before - but this was stuff bought at the airport. (And we only had one smallish backpack each for hand luggage - fairly sure we could’ve squashed the bag into one of our bags if needed too).
DisneyStacey is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I have a look at this

aa/i18n/travel-info/...on-baggage.jsp
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

If you have a connecting flight within the US it will depend on how full it is. We've seen them turn a blind eye on domestic flights but also seen the captain! come down the aisle and chew out a family who was struggling to get a heavy case into the overhead and several times have had them at the gate taking cases from people to put in the hold because on a full flight there was no chance of later boarding groups having enough space.

I would prepare for the worst case scenario which is them seeing you at the gate, the flight being full and them coming over and making you put stuff in the hold. I'd also say that while we find domestic crews very friendly (I get called doll and sweetie a lot lol) they don't have any soft spot for families who were at Disney. On the transatlantic leg crews tend to 'get it' but on the domestic legs they don't care if the kids were on a once in a lifetime trip or their 100th time visiting granny at the retirement home - you're checking that bag or they'll offload you.

Best case scenario is they don't bat an eyelid and the kids can board with toys in hand or in a bag and the crew gives them extra biscuits. because you never know which way it will go I'd pack with the expectation that a case, backpack, and plastic bag is too much and either avoid it or have a plan b for what you'll do if they take issue.
landandword17 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
faeriequeene
Getting to know the DIBB

Of course I've checked the carry-on allowance. Who wouldn't?

We all have 5 carry on items (cabin cases) and 5 personal items which fit the minimum size requirements - 1 laptop bag and 4x backpacks. All small / schoolbag size.
Old 8 Aug 22, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
faeriequeene
Getting to know the DIBB

Thank you for your reply. I can't imagine we're going to have huge toys. I know the 9 year old wants one teddy, which can sit on her knee, and a couple of dolls, and tbh, they'll fit in her cabin case.

The tween and teen's backpacks are going empty. They'll probably just be bringing clothes / comic books / action figures back. I can't imagine anybody will have more than one carrier bag which we'd have if we bought Duty Free. I think we have enough space, so I'm not going to bring the other suitcase. Thank you!
Old 8 Aug 22, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
faeriequeene
Getting to know the DIBB

American Airlines allowance = 1x cabin case @ 22inches and 1x "personal item" (bag, laptop bag, backpack) @ 18 inches.
Old 8 Aug 22, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer2802
Imagineer

Imagineer2802's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 27

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 74
Originally Posted by faeriequeene View Post
American Airlines allowance = 1x cabin case @ 22inches and 1x "personal item" (bag, laptop bag, backpack) @ 18 inches.
I think what people are trying to suggest you are careful of is being stopped because your "personal item" is considered baggage because of what's in it. A.k.a you need to make sure it's not stuffed with clothes and souvenirs

2019 - August - Europe on the Magic! 17th Trip!

**~ °o° ~°o° ~ °o°~°o° ~°o° ~ °o°~**
Imagineer2802 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List