Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 8 Aug 22, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Hawaii and clueless

Yep that’s me,
Absolutely clueless
Other than it’s expensive 😂

Our local travel agent has posted a deal

🤩 YOU DO NOT WANT TO MISS THIS, 16 NIGHT HAWAIIAN CRUISE WITH 1 NIGHT PRE STAY FROM ONLY £1499 PP 🤩

🌴16 NIGHTS HAWAIIAN ISLANDS FROM SAN FRANCISCO ☀️

🤩 9th Feb 2023

🤩 1 nights 4* The Hotel Bijou, Union Square Area

Room Only - Double Run of House Room

🤩 Sail away for 15 nights on board Royal Princess
Interior Lower Cabin – Full board meals

Includes:

✅ Return flights to the UK

🚢 Cruise Visiting:

⚓️ San Francisco, USA > Honolulu, USA > Maui, USA > Kona, USA >Ensenada, Mexico > San Francisco, USA

✈️ Heathrow - From £1499 pp

✈️ Manchester - From £1599 pp

✈️ Newcastle - From £1599 pp

✈️ Glasgow - From £1599 pp

✈️ Belfast - Fom £1599 pp

Upgrade return journey to Premium Economy from £500 pp

🚖 Transfers available from £125 pp Including Arrival, Pre and Post Cruise

😲 Deposit only £150 pp

*copied from their Facebook post

We have loved the idea of a cruise for Hawaii as it’s all meals covered if it’s crazy expensive but was thinking lunch out every day on the different islands.

James will be 9 when we go,
Is this a good deal?
Is there anything we need to think about?

Already checked the weather and it looks to be okay!
Old 8 Aug 22, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Also just found the cruise itinerary!

Hi,

The cruise itinerary is -

San Francisco
4 days at sea
Honolulu
Honolulu
Maui
Kona
4 days at sea
Ensenada
At sea
San Francisco

Thanks‘
Old 8 Aug 22, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Sounds lovely.

No idea if it’s a good price. I’d look at how much the cruise alone is, then flights and go from there.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

We didn't find Hawaii expensive but that was pre-covid. We rented a condo in Maui for less than $200 per night. Internal flights were quite cheap too. £300 I think. Southwest started Hawaii routes so they should be reasonable too.

It was one of our cheaper trips since we could self cater.

Disadvantages of course - that's one island, if you want to island hop you'd need internal flights and transfers or multiple car hires. It adds up and it not ideal with a 9 year old.

The cruise is hitting a few islands (check the price of excursions and where they dock maybe?) I'm not at all familiar with Hawaii cruises but I can see where the excursions could be pricey? Or you'd need to rent a car and explore yourselves for the day?

I think the price pp isn't bad at all when you factor in what it would cost to island hop. You could probably DIY a one island trip for a little less but if it's a once in a lifetime trip (it's a loooong way to go so that's a possibility) then hitting a few islands, with your food covered for that price isn't too shabby.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

£100 each a day for all meals & accommodation imo thats not bad at all...

however from £1599... wonder what the actual price is?

fwiw personally wouldnt wat to do a cruise again, find the evenings a bit meh/samey but if you fancy it then go for it

Edited at 04:48 PM.
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
June8th
Apprentice Imagineer

We flew to Hawaii via Vegas, spent a few days on Waikiki beach then got on the Pride of America ( NCL cruise ship).
That took us around the islands for a week. Great ship, plenty to do, very casual.
The cruise you are looking at has four sea days each way, which some would enjoy, others not so much.
We booked our own flight from Vegas, but you could just as easily go via Los Angles
June8th is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

The only cruising that I have thus far partaken in has been with the veritable Grey Funnel Line and with ships that had black numbers on the side with very few windows (or portholes). There were no swimming pools and no entertainment other than whist.

I am in the process of assembling my wife’s 50th birthday trip to Hawaii As we speak. This is what I have purchased so far and may give clues as to costs involved. I must add that I am an extremely avid researcher and would hope to find very good prices throughout…

19/03/23 Fly LHR to Vancouver (and on 05/04 Seattle to LHR) £611pp economy out, prem economy home. It was £411 coach until Mandie got involved.
3 days Vancouver with a friend.
23/03 Fly Vancouver to Honolulu (and on 03/04, Honolulu to Seattle ). £454pp
2 days in Seattle.
So flights are at £1050pp and there are two of us.

Accommodation. This is pricey!
Hyatt Place at Waikiki for 4 nights, £1050. This is a moderate 3 star and we have paid extra for an Ocean view.. so £260 a night.
Courtyard by Marriott at Laie ( close(ish) to Turtle bay at Laie and again, a moderate 3 star. That is £1906 for 7 nights, so £270 per night inc breakfast.

We still need a car from when we leave Waikiki until when we arrive at the Airport to fly home.

In summary, we have spent £5000 to stay on a single island (Oahu) and have yet to buy any food or car hire. £2500pp.

Depending on your final price, I would suggest that you are looking at a remarkable bargain.. albeit I do not know what weather you can expect.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 06:52 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Hi Louise

Have you cruised before and know you like it?

We are spending eleven nights in Oahu next month for £3k total (£1500 each, two of us travelling).

Prices have gone up loads since COVID, and the place I’ve stayed at before in Maui is well out of my price range now.

Personally I love the Hawaiian islands for the ability to immerse myself in them so a cruise wouldn’t be for me (but I do love cruising). The price you have there is a pretty typical headline price for a Hawaiian cruise from the mainland, but it offers great value

ETA check whether Princess, on that route, at that time of year, has good options for James. My feeling is there may not be loads potential mates for him (but I don’t know)

CFB - Laie is an unusual choice? For some reason I thought you were on the North Shore?

Edited at 07:32 PM.
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

I think, for me, I would have to question whether I want to spend 8 days of my precious annual leave at sea, however fabulous the ship might be.

But we aren’t sitting still people, we wouldn’t choose to go to a beach resort or the like, whereas others might enjoy the time to relax!
Old 8 Aug 22, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Hi Louise

Have you cruised before and know you like it?

We are spending eleven nights in Oahu next month for £3k total (£1500 each, two of us travelling).

Prices have gone up loads since COVID, and the place I’ve stayed at before in Maui is well out of my price range now.

Personally I love the Hawaiian islands for the ability to immerse myself in them so a cruise wouldn’t be for me (but I do love cruising). The price you have there is a pretty typical headline price for a Hawaiian cruise from the mainland, but it offers great value

ETA check whether Princess, on that route, at that time of year, has good options for James. My feeling is there may not be loads potential mates for him (but I don’t know)

CFB - Laie is an unusual choice? For some reason I thought you were on the North Shore?
We have a car.. it is not far to Turtle bay.. and having waited just a couple of months as we have the West Coast in Oct, we found ourselves priced out of where we really wanted to be. In addition, what was left in the private world didn’t seem to mention being licences.. hence our choosing Hotels.

Laie seems close (20 minutes) to Sharks Cove etc and we are looking for quiet

We have booked the two Hotels with free cancellation.. just in case things improve!

Edited at 08:45 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List