Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Aug 22, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Airbnb California

Hi just wondering if anyone has any experience using these in California, we’ve never booked through them at all but I’d like to try at least one on our west coast trip next year, but I’ve also read they aren’t really allowed in the state of California, any advice anyone?, or any other reputable sites that are similar? Thanks
Bazinga 39 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Caveat Emptor

They are not allowed unless it a room in a permanent residence ie the owner lives there not renting out a second or holiday home

They are liable to get closed by the City with no notice if rules flouted and reported that many adverts do not match up with home

So be very aware of the rules & associated risks.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Caveat Emptor

They are not allowed unless it a room in a permanent residence ie the owner lives there not renting out a second or holiday home

They are liable to get closed by the City with no notice if rules flouted and reported that many adverts do not match up with home

So be very aware of the rules & associated risks.
Hi, thanks for reply, might stick to hotels then😃
Bazinga 39 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bazinga 39 View Post
Hi just wondering if anyone has any experience using these in California, we’ve never booked through them at all but I’d like to try at least one on our west coast trip next year, but I’ve also read they aren’t really allowed in the state of California, any advice anyone?, or any other reputable sites that are similar? Thanks
I have.

No1 was close to Anaheim, a beautiful two bedroom in I believe, Platinum apartments. The owner met me at the gate (gated community), told me that if challenged, then I must say that I was a personal friend of his and staying for nothing. I was deeply concerned, but went with the flow as I had no option. There were no hitches and it was indeed a magnificent, great value apartment.. clearly without a licence.

No2 was a two bedroom flat at Mission Beach, San Diego. In probability, this was licensed, but was in a very poor condition. It was full of sand. We condemned one of the bathrooms immediately and were not too keen on the other.
My youngest felt the 2nd bedroom was dirty and slept on the couch in the Lounge. The floor and elsewhere were liberally sprinkled with sand.
The Master bed was propped up on one corner with books. It was a dump. Again, our options were limited and we had to ride with it. I wrote an appropriate review.

I have Airbnb’s elsewhere, but without noteworthy issues. We are now very much towards Hotel Chains when in the States. At least I know what I am likely to get!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

You need to check local county laws as its not a statewide law.

The city of Anaheim has strict rules about short term lets like AirBnB and most are illegal now.

I have stayed in two AirBnB and I would recommend both.

The first was in Hollywood, a studio apartment suitable for 2 people in a residential area near Hollywood and Vine Metro station. It was a purpose built studio apartment next door to the hosts. It had its own separate entrance and door and I felt safe there as a solo female traveller.

The second was in South Pasadena, in a residential area about 10 minutes walk from South Pasadena train station. This was a studio apartment suitable for 4 people. It was a converted garage in the back garden of the host and again was specifically for AirBnB. Access was through a side gate into the hosts back garden and the apartment was separate to the hosts house. Again I felt very safe here as a solo female traveler.

When I was researching AirBnB I specifically looked for a self contained studio apartment and superhosts who had very recent great reviews. Both times the hosts I had replied very quickly to my questions, and I had full details of the properties, including the exact address and contact details for the hosts before arrival. Both properties were self check in and I was given gate codes before arrival.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I have.

No1 was close to Anaheim, a beautiful two bedroom in I believe, Platinum apartments. The owner met me at the gate (gated community), told me that if challenged, then I must say that I was a personal friend of his and staying for nothing. I was deeply concerned, but went with the flow as I had no option. There were no hitches and it was indeed a magnificent, great value apartment.. clearly without a licence.

No2 was a two bedroom flat at Mission Beach, San Diego. In probability, this was licensed, but was in a very poor condition. It was full of sand. We condemned one of the bathrooms immediately and were not too keen on the other.
My youngest felt the 2nd bedroom was dirty and slept on the couch in the Lounge. The floor and elsewhere were liberally sprinkled with sand.
The Master bed was propped up on one corner with books. It was a dump. Again, our options were limited and we had to ride with it. I wrote an appropriate review.

I have Airbnb’s elsewhere, but without noteworthy issues. We are now very much towards Hotel Chains when in the States. At least I know what I am likely to get!
Hi, thanks for reply, doesn’t sound worth the risk then, I’d seen some reasonable ones in the Hollywood hills and fancied the idea of feeling like a local for a few days🤣, I’ll stick to the hotels instead👍
Old 9 Aug 22, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

If San Diego is part of your plans vacation rentals are still allowed there. 😊

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Hi, thanks for reply, doesn’t sound worth the risk then, I’d seen some reasonable ones in the Hollywood hills and fancied the idea of feeling like a local for a few days🤣, I’ll stick to the hotels instead👍
My partner was researching similar (for the price I had booked shutters on the beach etc for) but we got friends who live in Hollywood to check them out (one was reported to have been on Selling Sunset - we are talking a fair whack) but locals said they are "fake" properties around and others were very liable to be closed down so we have booked hotels (which I prefer but he wanted "insta" properties )
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Aims View Post
If San Diego is part of your plans vacation rentals are still allowed there. 😊
Thanks Aims, yes we hoping for 4 nights in San Diego😃
Old 9 Aug 22, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Thanks Aims, yes we hoping for 4 nights in San Diego😃
Its a stunning place - we are going for a short stay when in SoCal this November but somehow now wish we were staying longer than our current plan ...