Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Jan 22, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
Same here!

We buy Kirin Salty Lichee drink from imports of Asian food, our new fav place to eat is a Japanese place in Glasgow and last week we’re in London and got “one or two” snacks and drinks from The Japan Centre store in Leicester Square
I stopped by a Japanese supermarket and a couple of other places after work today and ended up with way too many Japanese snacks for my own good! Even got a tub of Japanese soft serve ice cream. Was looking out for the Kirin Salty Lychee drink but didn't see it at this supermarket.

Was recently gifted a Japanese snack box subscription, which is now another source of Japanese snacks for me! There are a few companies that do these and they ship snack boxes from Japan worldwide. I'm still in two minds about how worth it these snack box subscriptions are for me (as I live somewhere with a lot of Japanese supermarkets, brands, food outlets, etc, and some of the items in the snack boxes can actually be bought here) but it was still really fun to get a Japanese snack box in the mail!
Old 11 Jan 22, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

We live on Ramune soda in this house 😋
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 22, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ScoopsAhoy View Post
We live on Ramune soda in this house 😋
I've not tried Ramune soda! But have a selection box of candy on order which includes a couple of packets of Ramune flavoured candy so I guess I'll find out what it tastes like soon!
Old 11 Jan 22, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sky13 View Post
I've not tried Ramune soda! But have a selection box of candy on order which includes a couple of packets of Ramune flavoured candy so I guess I'll find out what it tastes like soon!
I got dd a Japanese snack box for her birthday and there were a lot of yummy things but some were questionable 🤢
There are so many flavours of Ramune but we especially like the original which is like cream soda and was the flavour of the Ramune candy we received.
The lychee Ramune is really good but my overall favourite is Melon.
Enjoy!
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 22, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sky13 View Post
I'm not hopeful for being able to visit Japan over the next few months.

Would love to go though, and after reading all about the changes at the US Disney parks I'm contemplating skipping the US parks for a while and going to the Tokyo parks instead when Japan reopens. (I live far closer to Japan than the US so it would under normal circumstances be much cheaper/easier to get to Japan!)

In the meantime, I've gone a bit crazy over Japanese food and now have lots of Japanese snacks in the house! Makes up (just a bit) for not being able to go in the near future. Have some more Japanese tea and snacks on order at the moment too!
Yes given our experience at WDW this last Xmas, we aren’t going back, but I hear Japan is fantastic and quality on another level. I’ll give it a few years as they are travel zealots really.
Old 11 Jan 22, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Yes given our experience at WDW this last Xmas, we aren’t going back, but I hear Japan is fantastic and quality on another level. I’ll give it a few years as they are travel zealots really.
Welcome fellow Tesla owner - come join the Japan fun!
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 22, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
Welcome fellow Tesla owner - come join the Japan fun!
I’ll be looking for tips when all this calms down, maybe 2024 there?
Old 12 Jan 22, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

I’ll be looking for tips when all this calms down, maybe 2024 there?
Well if you have questions - ask away

Friendly bunch here

Tips... ?

These are general and based on my only visit to date

MOBILE PHONE USE IN JAPAN
I think all UK mobile companies have NO roaming agreement with Japan carriers, like they do in Europe in the US.
You can use your mobile there but unless your network here has a package that helps with Japan , it will cost a lot of money.
Most people either buy a SIM with coverage there, or get a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot and tether their phone to it.

I went the hotspot rental route as I wanted my current mobile number in case someone needed to call for an emergency back at home and wanted to get those texts from bank / credit card company if they queried any purchases I was doing across the other side of world.

Also the hotspot can be picked up from airport or delivered to hotel – I had it waiting for me when I got to our first hotel near Disney, and got the coach from the airport to that hotel.
We had 2 phones attached to it all day and worked a treat.

GOOGLE MAPS
It worked a treat in getting us from A to B, via trains, walking etc – god send!
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

What was "bad" about that WDW trip that put you off?
Old 12 Jan 22, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

TDR Explorer videos, website and podcast, all really useful.

Also for general Japan stuff, ‘Abroad in Japan’ YT channel (not for kids, very dry British humour and a bit sweary!)
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List