General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 7 Apr 22, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Dixiechic
Excited about Disney

And then there were a different three!

Wednesday 6th April 2022

Woke up just after 12 but went straight back to sleep, then again at 3.30 but was pleasantly surprised to discover that I had nodded off again and it was now 5.45!

Quickly finished the blog and then showered at 6.30 ready for the mammoth packing effort. It wasn’t as bad as I thought once I got started abs both bags were well under weight. We headed down for breakfast which was noticeably quieter today and picked up the bill so we could work out the split. Discovered we’d been charged for some random items from the pantry - ice cream and Cheetos. This hotel was really good value for money $350 each especially with the good breakfast and the $room credit and this included the overage and tips from the items we charged to the room.

Back up to the room to finish the packing and then to try and lug it all down stairs. My 2nd bag is a giant holdall with wheels but it’s not very user friendly.

Checked out and put our luggage in storage and headed out in the rain towards Central Park. Ali and I called in to Duane Reade to get an umbrella each. There were no prices on them so knew they were going to have raining day prices. They did - $16.99. On a dry day they are probably $7!

A nice meander down Fifth Avenue.
As we went past the Lego store, there were loads of De Loreans in the window so they must have had a delivery as yesterday the flatiron store was the only one with any in stock.
We went into Tiffany and a lovely man greeted us and showed us round. I didn’t want to step on the lively pale carpet with Hoover stripes in my wet shoes.
They have some truly beautiful jewellery here. Used my birthday money to treat myself.
We then went to the rest rooms where the foaming soaps had a Tiffany blue hue.

Went into Trump Tower next hoping to go to Starbucks but the access to upstairs was all roped off. We then decided to find our meeting point for our pedi cab tour and luckily there was a Starbucks right by it. I tried the dragon drink and the jury is still out on that one - it tasted nice but because I could see the coconut milk looking a bit curdly, it was putting me off.

Back outside to meet Josh - was supposed to be Frankie Legs but he is injured and still recovering so we had his stand in. We were quite cold by this point and were grateful of the blanket. Off we set. We were given lots of useful information and stopped several times for picture opportunities where Josh was our photographer. One of the stops was the ‘Friends’ which isn’t actually the friends fountain which is in California. He played the theme tune and made us all jump up.

Tour over, we were perished and headed back to the hotel to get changed and get our bags. We picked up a sandwich from the bakery next door as we were feeling peckish for the first time since we arrived!

By the time we got changed and had our sandwich the driver had arrived. He was 20 minutes early and it was a good job he was a traffic was horrendous. It took just over an hour and 95% of the journey was nose to tail stop start.

Bags offloaded And in to the terminal - BA checkin was empty! Walked straight to the front and said goodbye to the bags, premium economy allows for 2 23kg bags. Security was pretty empty too. Found seats and plugged in the phones and waited to be called. Hoping we get our welcome drink this time - had a google and it mentions a glass of fizz after takeoff and also mentions onboard cocktails so we shall see what is on offer. It definitely mentions spirits so a G&T will be consumed.

Boarded, gave the crew some sweets and then sanitized the tv, arm rests, table etc. - it seems that half the plane is first class. Verdict so far for premium economy - AA seats are better than BA and virgin. bA have the tray pull out from the center arm rest which is faffy if you’re sharing with a stranger. AA blankets and pillows are better than BA and Virgin, BA are better than Virgin. Screens are similar but AA are more iPad looking. BA are easier to navigate. No menu card on BA or AA

Flight time of 6.05 so pretty quick (no sleep for me!)and windy for a landing - might be able to tick off my bucket list cross wind landing! Good news the welcome drinks are on their way! Oh, it’s only juice or water. Quaffed my juice and then along comes a crew member saying she’s been asked to give me something and it’s a glass of fizz and an amenity pack from upper! I ask who it’s from and she says it from the crew. I say, how come and she says did you bring something onboard with you and I said some sweets and she said that will be it. Result. Trouble is I had to down it quite quickly and couldn’t manage it all!

Long taxi to the run way at wheels up at 8.04. The drinks service soon came round and I got a G&T and some nuts -nuts! Can’t remember the last time I had nuts on a plane!
They also served the drink for the meal at this point too so I chose a white wine. Started watching ant man and the wasp.

Dinner was a choice of Mac and cheese or chilli chicken but as I was the back row, by the time they got to me there was only chilli chicken left but that wasn’t a problem. It came with a side salad, roll and butter and a raspberry torte and it was delicious. BA win over AA as there was a proper linen napkin as well. Virgin are still slightly ahead because of the salt and pepper! When the trays were collected tea and coffee was offered. I asked for decaf tea but one never appeared.

I attempted to sleep but I got such restless legs that they were twitching all over the place like I was doing the river dance. I then watched 22 jump street and tried to have a little walk in the dark up and down the aisle. I was glad I chose the aisle seat as my seat buddy slept right from the outset so I never would have got out. I then watched a couple of random tv episodes before breakfast was served - ham and cheese croissant sandwich and yoghurt

Landed at 7.19 but had to wait for a gate to become available as our original one was still occupied. In the end we pulled up and had to wait for stairs and buses. The crew were very good and made everyone stay seated and then they disembarked strictly by row and the first bus was all upper and premium. Got to immigration and barely had to wait a minute and the machines worked first time! Got to baggage reclaim and one of mine and Julie’s cases were already out and by the time we had all been to the loo the rest were coming out. Met our driver Ernie - was a bit conferenced about luggage fitting but he was in a nice Mercedes minivan. Pulled out of the car park at 8.34am. My Fitbit doesn’t show any sleep for Wednesday night. Easy ride back and we’re back at Ali’s just after 10.15. Headed back to mine where Julie’s husband picked her up. Washing on, case unpacked and purchases ready to show the girls

Had a fantastic few days but totally shattered now. The weather was mostly great, just a couple of mornings of rain. Hotel was a great location and good value with the breakfast included as well as the 2 free drinks and nibbles in the evenings- although having these probably affected how we ate dinner. Prices have gone up the same as they have at home but there are definitely still some bargains to be had. This is the first time I’ve been where my feet haven’t been killing by the last day.

Thanks to Ali and Julie for being great friends and room mates and for putting up with my stress about taking too long to get to Dumbo and my subway anxiety.

New York, I will be back as I still haven’t done the highline or the edge and the girls are itching to go back again
Old 7 Apr 22, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dixiechic View Post

Wednesday 6th April 2022

Woke up just after 12 but went straight back to sleep, then again at 3.30 but was pleasantly surprised to discover that I had nodded off again and it was now 5.45!

Quickly finished the blog and then showered at 6.30 ready for the mammoth packing effort. It wasn’t as bad as I thought once I got started abs both bags were well under weight. We headed down for breakfast which was noticeably quieter today and picked up the bill so we could work out the split. Discovered we’d been charged for some random items from the pantry - ice cream and Cheetos. This hotel was really good value for money $350 each especially with the good breakfast and the $room credit and this included the overage and tips from the items we charged to the room.

Back up to the room to finish the packing and then to try and lug it all down stairs. My 2nd bag is a giant holdall with wheels but it’s not very user friendly.

Checked out and put our luggage in storage and headed out in the rain towards Central Park. Ali and I called in to Duane Reade to get an umbrella each. There were no prices on them so knew they were going to have raining day prices. They did - $16.99. On a dry day they are probably $7!

A nice meander down Fifth Avenue.
As we went past the Lego store, there were loads of De Loreans in the window so they must have had a delivery as yesterday the flatiron store was the only one with any in stock.
We went into Tiffany and a lovely man greeted us and showed us round. I didn’t want to step on the lively pale carpet with Hoover stripes in my wet shoes.
They have some truly beautiful jewellery here. Used my birthday money to treat myself.
We then went to the rest rooms where the foaming soaps had a Tiffany blue hue.

Went into Trump Tower next hoping to go to Starbucks but the access to upstairs was all roped off. We then decided to find our meeting point for our pedi cab tour and luckily there was a Starbucks right by it. I tried the dragon drink and the jury is still out on that one - it tasted nice but because I could see the coconut milk looking a bit curdly, it was putting me off.

Back outside to meet Josh - was supposed to be Frankie Legs but he is injured and still recovering so we had his stand in. We were quite cold by this point and were grateful of the blanket. Off we set. We were given lots of useful information and stopped several times for picture opportunities where Josh was our photographer. One of the stops was the ‘Friends’ which isn’t actually the friends fountain which is in California. He played the theme tune and made us all jump up.

Tour over, we were perished and headed back to the hotel to get changed and get our bags. We picked up a sandwich from the bakery next door as we were feeling peckish for the first time since we arrived!

By the time we got changed and had our sandwich the driver had arrived. He was 20 minutes early and it was a good job he was a traffic was horrendous. It took just over an hour and 95% of the journey was nose to tail stop start.

Bags offloaded And in to the terminal - BA checkin was empty! Walked straight to the front and said goodbye to the bags, premium economy allows for 2 23kg bags. Security was pretty empty too. Found seats and plugged in the phones and waited to be called. Hoping we get our welcome drink this time - had a google and it mentions a glass of fizz after takeoff and also mentions onboard cocktails so we shall see what is on offer. It definitely mentions spirits so a G&T will be consumed.

Boarded, gave the crew some sweets and then sanitized the tv, arm rests, table etc. - it seems that half the plane is first class. Verdict so far for premium economy - AA seats are better than BA and virgin. bA have the tray pull out from the center arm rest which is faffy if you’re sharing with a stranger. AA blankets and pillows are better than BA and Virgin, BA are better than Virgin. Screens are similar but AA are more iPad looking. BA are easier to navigate. No menu card on BA or AA

Flight time of 6.05 so pretty quick (no sleep for me!)and windy for a landing - might be able to tick off my bucket list cross wind landing! Good news the welcome drinks are on their way! Oh, it’s only juice or water. Quaffed my juice and then along comes a crew member saying she’s been asked to give me something and it’s a glass of fizz and an amenity pack from upper! I ask who it’s from and she says it from the crew. I say, how come and she says did you bring something onboard with you and I said some sweets and she said that will be it. Result. Trouble is I had to down it quite quickly and couldn’t manage it all!

Long taxi to the run way at wheels up at 8.04. The drinks service soon came round and I got a G&T and some nuts -nuts! Can’t remember the last time I had nuts on a plane!
They also served the drink for the meal at this point too so I chose a white wine. Started watching ant man and the wasp.

Dinner was a choice of Mac and cheese or chilli chicken but as I was the back row, by the time they got to me there was only chilli chicken left but that wasn’t a problem. It came with a side salad, roll and butter and a raspberry torte and it was delicious. BA win over AA as there was a proper linen napkin as well. Virgin are still slightly ahead because of the salt and pepper! When the trays were collected tea and coffee was offered. I asked for decaf tea but one never appeared.

I attempted to sleep but I got such restless legs that they were twitching all over the place like I was doing the river dance. I then watched 22 jump street and tried to have a little walk in the dark up and down the aisle. I was glad I chose the aisle seat as my seat buddy slept right from the outset so I never would have got out. I then watched a couple of random tv episodes before breakfast was served - ham and cheese croissant sandwich and yoghurt

Landed at 7.19 but had to wait for a gate to become available as our original one was still occupied. In the end we pulled up and had to wait for stairs and buses. The crew were very good and made everyone stay seated and then they disembarked strictly by row and the first bus was all upper and premium. Got to immigration and barely had to wait a minute and the machines worked first time! Got to baggage reclaim and one of mine and Julie’s cases were already out and by the time we had all been to the loo the rest were coming out. Met our driver Ernie - was a bit conferenced about luggage fitting but he was in a nice Mercedes minivan. Pulled out of the car park at 8.34am. My Fitbit doesn’t show any sleep for Wednesday night. Easy ride back and we’re back at Ali’s just after 10.15. Headed back to mine where Julie’s husband picked her up. Washing on, case unpacked and purchases ready to show the girls

Had a fantastic few days but totally shattered now. The weather was mostly great, just a couple of mornings of rain. Hotel was a great location and good value with the breakfast included as well as the 2 free drinks and nibbles in the evenings- although having these probably affected how we ate dinner. Prices have gone up the same as they have at home but there are definitely still some bargains to be had. This is the first time I’ve been where my feet haven’t been killing by the last day.

Thanks to Ali and Julie for being great friends and room mates and for putting up with my stress about taking too long to get to Dumbo and my subway anxiety.

New York, I will be back as I still haven’t done the highline or the edge and the girls are itching to go back again
Great report
So glad you had a lovely time 😍

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 22, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

A great way to spend your last day central Park and shopping Sounds like a good smooth journey home

Thank you for writing the report I've enjoyed reading along
Old 9 Apr 22, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

What a fabulous trip! So glad you got to go and enjoy everything we really need to catch up soon please! Xxx

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 22, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Dixiechic
Excited about Disney

Definitely need to catch up soon xx
Old 22 May 22, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
scottish mama
VIP Dibber

Loved reading this as going back in the summer. Sounds a great trip, though I’m astonished you survived with such little sleep!
scottish mama is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List