Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 1 May 22, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

It's Czech, mate: Travel and Day 1

Travel and Day 1

So, it's been some time since we went on holiday and I wrote a trip report. We did manage a trip to Dartmoor in 2021 which was lovely but I never got around to a report, so here's the first since everything changed.

Paul and I had been due to go to Croatia for a few days in October 2021, mainly to do something different and come to terms with our empty nest now that both kids were at University. However, as the time grew nearer, the cost of tests was looking quite hefty and made a cheap break not so cheap so we cancelled with EasyJet, retaining a credit which we had 12 months to use.

There was quite a good sale in January and with our credit ready to use, we decided to book a few days away as a family during the Easter vacation. Prague came up as a very reasonable option and so we booked it. I had heard good things about the city and there seemed to be plenty to do.

As time went by, I kept an eye on Entry requirements and all was well as the Czech Republic accepted fully vaccinated travellers (2 jabs + booster) with no tests needed. Just before we went away, this requirement was removed, as was the need to fill in a Passenger Locator Form. The only restriction remaining was the need to wear N95 masks on public transport, so I duly bought a pack and distributed them to the family.

The main stress was the crazy scenes at Manchester Airport. I did a panic buy of Fast Track for everyone and Paul and I made plans to get up super early and set off super early to allow plenty of time to check in etc.

So, the night before travelling, everyone was packed - EasyJet included 23 kg per person but that was ridiculous for 3 nights, so we took 2 suitcases between us and a rucksack each. Family duly got up, ready to leave at 7.45 and by some miracle, we all did!

The drive to Manchester airport was very uneventful and we found JetParks with no trouble. There was a slight moment of panic as there seemed to be not a single parking space, but we eventually found one somewhere near the Welsh border and caught the bus to the terminal.

Once there, I marched everyone to the check in desk, impressing upon them that there was no time to dilly dally as we didn't want to spend hours in the security queue. It was self check-in, which is nerve wracking as I am not trained to put those tags on but the nice man from EasyJet assured me that I had done it right.

Then we speed walked to the Fast Track line and spent all of 5 minute going through security. There were no queues anywhere. Paul did keep asking "How much did you pay for this?" but as it was £20 and sods law that if we hadn't bothered, the queue would have been horrific, we told him to stop moaning.

Hanging out at Manchester airport was as much fun as it ever is. Plus we now had LOADS of time, having planned for queueing hell. Fortunately, Hannah works for Costa so we made ample use of her staff discount and consumed various coffees while occasionally browsing duty free and doing such exciting things as buying a nail file in Boots.

Poor Evan started feeling a bit ill while we were there - temperature and just off - we reckoned it was the same cold (not Covid!) that Paul and I had suffered the week before and he was a proper trooper about it. We did get him some Cold & Flu tablets and they really did the trick.

Discounted coffees are always the best

Eventually it was time to get on the plane so we duly masked up and found our seats. It all felt very strange - we hadn't done this for so long but fortunately everyone remembered how to climb steps and sit in seats, so all was good.

Me and Hannah getting photobombed.

The flight was pretty quick and the staff were very pleasant. Never flown EasyJet before but quite impressed so far.

It didn't take long to get through Passports and collect the bags and now we were really on our way. We had been watching the Honest Guide who makes really helpful videos about Prague and he did a great one on how to get to the city centre from the airport. We found the bus stop, bought some tickets, stamped them in the machine and away we went. We changed to a tram at the terminus and headed for Smichov where our hotel was.

As we got to a couple of stops before ours, there was a long announcement in Czech, obvs, and a couple of people got off. We had no clue what was happening but it later transpired that the information had been that the tram was no longer calling at the stop we needed for our hotel. We realised this as it headed off for the National Theatre.

Curses! However, we got off, checked trusty Google Maps, and informed the boys that we now had a slightly longer walk to our hotel. It wasn't that far and really didn't take very long but there was a bit of huffing and puffing.

The Red and Blue Design Hotel was pretty easy to find and as we waited to check in, my cough from my previous cold decided to remind everyone of just how annoying a cough can be. I did everything - drinking water, trying Strepsils, slow breathing but was still doing a great impression of Coughing Bob from the Fast Show. The rest of the family were eyeing me nervously, waiting for the hotel staff to refuse us entry but they were very gracious and we were soon checked in and I made Hannah do all the talking, just in case!

The kids had a room on the second floor and we were on the third. We all got settled in and then realised that Paul had failed to pack all the elements of the European charger that we had brought and there were no USB slots. Obviously phone charging is essential so I went to ask Reception and they very kindly loaned me one and told me where I could buy one.

Evan was still feeling a bit ropey so we left him napping and the rest of us walked into the city to buy another USB charger. It wasn't far and we managed to get one quite easily, learning the Czech for "thank you" which is "dyeki" or "dyekyuh". We also called at Czech Tesco for drinks and snacks. Of all the shops to see in the Czech Republic, I was not expecting Tesco but there you go.

We let Evan rest a bit longer and then got ready to go out as we all wanted a Czech lager. We walked to a road with a few restaurants and found a table at Kolkovna Olympia.

Obviously, it was beers all round.

Excellent photo timing there from Paul

Hannah is not a beer fan and did her best but switched to wine afterwards.

We all went for traditional Czech food. Now, Hannah is a vegetarian who doesn't eat potatoes so a very meat-and-potatoes based cuisine was always going to be a challenge. However, she had thought about this and was okay to go with fish so ordered salmon. I had goulash, Evan had pork schnitzel and Paul had a pork dish with dumplings and cabbage. It was all exceedingly hearty and we quite liked the dumplings.

We had a few beers and a good chat and then headed back to the hotel as we were all shattered after the early start. Our rooms were very comfortable and nicely set out with fridges as well.

Back in the room, we watched a bit of the news in French, amusing ourselves with the talk of "Le Partygate" and the French pronunciation of Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak.

Prague adventure was pretty good so far!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 22, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Brilliant start to your trip report. I hate finding a parking space at airport car parks, we always end up parking in another airport almost too 😂 Good use of the Costa staff discount that morning, but so pleased the check in all went well

Sympathies for you and Evan having coughs, covid left me with a constant hard cough, which I’m always embarrassed about when I’m out now.

The beers look really good, and the food sounds delicious, although challenging for a non potato eating vegetarian. I hope Hannah managed to find some tasty veggie meals as well as some fish. Looking forward to following along
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 22, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Brilliant start to your trip report. I hate finding a parking space at airport car parks, we always end up parking in another airport almost too 😂 Good use of the Costa staff discount that morning, but so pleased the check in all went well

Sympathies for you and Evan having coughs, covid left me with a constant hard cough, which I’m always embarrassed about when I’m out now.

The beers look really good, and the food sounds delicious, although challenging for a non potato eating vegetarian. I hope Hannah managed to find some tasty veggie meals as well as some fish. Looking forward to following along
I hadn’t coughed all day and then suddenly I had to do all the coughs possible in the hotel lobby! Hope your cough disappears soon.

The parking was a bit stressful which is why we usually prefer the train but with a late return we had no option. Good thing the car park was 1000 square miles - or so it seemed!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 22, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
I hadn’t coughed all day and then suddenly I had to do all the coughs possible in the hotel lobby! Hope your cough disappears soon.

The parking was a bit stressful which is why we usually prefer the train but with a late return we had no option. Good thing the car park was 1000 square miles - or so it seemed!
I’m finding the same, mainly cough at the most embarrassing moments

All airport car parks are 1000 sq miles, and the only available parking space is always 999 miles from the entrance 😂
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 22, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

So lovely to have a new CrispyA report! We must be lucky at our local airport as the parking is literally 20m from the terminal🤣

Looks like a great start to the trip! Beer and dumplings- what more do you need!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 22, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
So lovely to have a new CrispyA report! We must be lucky at our local airport as the parking is literally 20m from the terminal🤣

Looks like a great start to the trip! Beer and dumplings- what more do you need!
If only ours was so close! Although to be fair, I think the more expensive options are!

Beer and dumplings are definitely great combo!
Old 2 May 22, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I'm excited to read this. We went to Prague in October of 2014. Lucky the walk or the hotel didn't end up being too long in the end.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 22, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I'm excited to read this. We went to Prague in October of 2014. Lucky the walk or the hotel didn't end up being too long in the end.
Yes, the walk really wasn’t very long and did help us get our bearings. I hope you had fun on your Prague visit, we really did.
Old 15 May 22, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Great start, love the big beers.
My dd is a vegetarian but has agreed to eat fish on holiday if not much choice available.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 22, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

What a great first day! We are due to go to Prague in November so will be taking notes!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List