Old 31 May 22, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

We Love Food! - Day 10 - Sun 22nd May 2022 - Charley's Philly Steak & Applebees

We Love Food! - An offsite dining report - May 2022

Day 10 - Sunday 22nd May 2022

Villa Breakfast (again!), Charley’s Philly Steak & Applebees

We had breakfast out on the lanai again today, our Dunkin’ Donuts that we had bought yesterday, and fruit (‘cos eating fruit cancels out the donuts ).

Charley’s Philly Steak, Premium Outlets, International Drive

About 11.30am we headed off for the outlets at the top of International Drive. After a bit of a browse around the shops and making some purchases, we stopped by the Food Court for a bit of lunch and agreed on Charley’s Philly Steak. We both settled on a small sandwich, upgraded to a combo which included fries and a soft drink. Neil went with the Philly Cheesesteak (no mushroom, no pickle) and I went with the Chicken California. The server here was so pushy, and when we asked for small sandwiches, she kept asking medium? Or large?. Several times! No, SMALL! So annoying! We had a bit of a wait for these, but when they came they were really nice, tasty and fresh. It was nice to sit down for a while and have a drink as well as it was hot and busy at the shops today. $24.44.

Applebees, Berry Town Center

After our day out shopping, we decided to get dinner on the way home. I suggested Outback, but Neil thought that might be too much as it was only a couple of hours since we had eaten lunch, so we settled on Applebees instead and headed to our usual one at Berry Town Center.

It was very quiet when we arrived here, with only a couple of tables with customers at them. Despite this, the service was quite slow - there only appeared to be a couple of servers working. Neil ordered a beer to start with, Blue Moon I think it was, but he didn’t enjoy it. I went with their version of Sprite, which is called Sierra Mist. We also ordered our old favourite, Mozzarella Sticks, to share as a starter. These were much more cheesy and stringy then I remembered, but they were still nice.

For mains, Neil decided on the Classic Bacon Cheeseburger (Our juicy all-beef patty topped with two slices of American cheese and two strips of Applewood-smoked bacon. Served with lettuce, tomato, onion and pickles on a Brioche bun. He enjoyed this, and ordered more beers, Yeungling which was on a buy one get one deal.

I went with the half rack of Double-Glazed Baby Back Ribs (Slow cooked to fall-off-the-bone tenderness. Slathered with your sauce of choice.) I chose the Honey BBQ Sauce. These were really good, and I enjoyed them very much. The fries were a bit bland in comparison to other places where the fries are quite well seasoned.

Our bill here came to $45.31 + tip, but this didn’t include our starter which we had a voucher for. It was a bit of a carry on getting our server to acknowledge the voucher. She kept insisting that it was for online only, although it clearly said on it for dine-in, or online. She was really quite snippy with us about it, so there was no way I was letting it go then, it was a matter of principle. Only a few dollars for a starter, but they shouldn’t be issuing coupons if they’re not willing to honour them! In the end, she said her manager had removed the starter from our bill as a courtesy, but they didn’t have to! Her attitude towards us left a bit of a sour taste, and I’m not sure we would hurry back here again. Regardless, we left the 20% tip.

Total food/drinks spend today $69.75 + tip

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 22, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Love Charley’s nice quick & cheap meal 😋😋
Only been Applebee’s once in San Fran not great, glad yours was better 😊

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 22, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Shame about your servers but glad the food was good
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 22, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Lynda even those small sandwiches look big !
Glad you both enjoyed your trip to Applebee’s, good on you for not backing down too 👍🏻, seems like you had a day of pushy service
Thanks xx
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 22, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
Love Charley’s nice quick & cheap meal 😋😋
Only been Applebee’s once in San Fran not great, glad yours was better 😊
I agree, Charley's has always been good any time we've stopped by there.

Applebees has always been a bit hit and miss for us, and yet we keep going back! The food was fine actually, just not great service (again!)

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
Shame about your servers but glad the food was good
Food was fine, but it definitely wasn't our best day for servers!

Originally Posted by WIGGYSMUM View Post
Lynda even those small sandwiches look big !
Glad you both enjoyed your trip to Applebee’s, good on you for not backing down too 👍🏻, seems like you had a day of pushy service
Thanks xx
The "small" sandwiches were more than ample - we definitely didn't need the medium or large despite what the server thought!

We've had worse at Applebees, for sure. The food was absolutely fine this time. Haha, you don't want to cross me, I'll just dig my heels in!

Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 22, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The ribs you had at Applebees look tasty, but what a pain with the bill and getting the mozzarella sticks taken off.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 22, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa29
VIP Dibber

Lisa29's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 344
Guidebook Reviews: 8
Another good food day. I haven’t been to Applebee’s for years x

MY TRIP AND DINING REPORTS - July 2023 Ten (Not So) Little Ones Take the Adults ~~ Onsite/Offsite Dining Report - July 2023 - 4 people - £168 budget per day plus tips ~~ Another Birthday Trip, October 2019 ~~ The Land, Sea and Wedding Trip Report, October 2015 ~~. Sept / Oct 2013 Five Little Ones Take the Adults
IG - Lisas29 and familyanddisney

00 / 01 / 04 / 07 /Xmas 08 / 10 / 13 / 15 / 17 / 19 / 23
Lisa29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 22, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
The ribs you had at Applebees look tasty, but what a pain with the bill and getting the mozzarella sticks taken off.
The ribs were very nice, but yes, it was a nuisance with the bill. They very much push signing up for these vouchers on the website, so it's annoying when the restaurants don't want to honour them!

Originally Posted by Lisa29 View Post
Another good food day. I haven’t been to Applebee’s for years x
It was a decent food day, for sure. I always feel with Applebees, that you never know if it's going to be a good day or not!

Old 7 Jun 22, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Not a great day service wise but lovely food.

I'm not sure why the server was getting so antsy about the appetiser coupon? As you say they wouldn't issue them if you couldn't use them. Maybe she thought she wouldn't get as much tip? Although we always tip on the amount before a coupon is applied. Very odd x
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 22, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
Not a great day service wise but lovely food.

I'm not sure why the server was getting so antsy about the appetiser coupon? As you say they wouldn't issue them if you couldn't use them. Maybe she thought she wouldn't get as much tip? Although we always tip on the amount before a coupon is applied. Very odd x
It was really annoying the way she just wouldn’t read the words on the coupon! Oh, I didn’t think of that - maybe that was her problem 🤔