Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 4 Jun 22, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Really good first day. Looking forward to the following days.
Old 4 Jun 22, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Enjoyed reading day 2 as well. Never thought of venturing offsite on the first morning. Good idea 👍
Old 4 Jun 22, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Th1nkT1nk
Imagineer

Mobile

Enjoyed reading so far - great to see pics. We stayed at POFQ in 2017 and loved it. Will be following along with the rest of your report
Old 4 Jun 22, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by disneypars View Post
Really good first day. Looking forward to the following days.
Originally Posted by disneypars View Post
Enjoyed reading day 2 as well. Never thought of venturing offsite on the first morning. Good idea 👍
Thanks! We wouldn’t normally go offsite for breakfast as we’ve generally had DDP so it was nice for a change.

Originally Posted by Th1nkT1nk View Post
Enjoyed reading so far - great to see pics. We stayed at POFQ in 2017 and loved it. Will be following along with the rest of your report
I loved POFQ! I’m probably (maybe) going to do separate trip report so there’ll be more resort photos there.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 22, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I chose CSR over POFQ - the food options pre covid were better than what they have now. Food options still seem to be great at POFQ though.
Looking forward to reading along and taking notes.
Spotted the ubiquitous Dibb Kipling bag 😁

Edited at 10:23 PM.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 22, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Originally Posted by Joshie1 View Post
I chose CSR over POFQ - the food options pre covid were better than what they have now. Food options still seem to be great at POFQ though.
Looking forward to reading along and taking notes.
Spotted the ubiquitous Dibb Kipling bag 😁
The food options are better at CSR but I think the food courts are much of a muchness everywhere. We ate there for convenience mostly.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 22, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
TINKERBELL44
Apprentice Imagineer

Following xx
TINKERBELL44 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 22, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Day 2 - The Plaza & The Turf Club

Today was MK and since park opening wasn't until 9am and therefore early entry at 8.30am we really just pottered about. Mum has to be told in advance what time we plan to leave or she just lies in bed drinking coffee so by the time she realised we were actually planning on going somewhere there wasn't any time for doing anything. Marie and I had one of the breakfast muffins and I think Mum & Dad had bought something to have.

These never fail and are exactly the same as when we first bought them for eating during Hurricane Irma.

By mid-morning we were a bit peckish. We had a lunch booked at the Plaza so didn't want to eat too much. We checked where was close and seen Friar's Nook did donut hole thingys. They were Cinnamon-Sugar Doughnuts and cost $5.29 for each portion. We just shared two and had a coffee each. We mobile ordered this but there probably wasn't any need to as the queue wasn't bad.

These were not that nice. I think too much cinnamon or something but they tasted a bit perfumed. They were edible though and filled the hole that needed filling. We were also lucky enough to grab a table so we took our time eating them and drinking our coffees.

I had booked lunch at the Plaza thinking Mum would probably prefer a proper sit down lunch. I was also working on the theory that our body clocks would feel like it was closer to dinner time!
We checked in a bit early - you can now do this on MDE - so we sat at the tables outside waiting to be called. It was only a few minutes before we were seated. Our table was at the door which wasn't great. I don't ever remember there even being a table that close to the door before. Luckily the Plaza is usually so cold the warm air was nice. The menu didn't seem to be as extensive as I remember it so I ended up with the meatloaf. Dad also chose this.

I prefer meatloaf with gravy over ketchup but this was nice enough. Beware the green beans though! They were everywhere! I haven't been able to eat them since I came home .

Mum and Marie had the Monte Christo which is in French toast batter.

This wasn't as nice as they thought it would be. The batter made it too much - too fatty and greasy I think. The jam with it was weird and didn't really go. I had a wee taste and it was ok but I think a whole sandwich was too much.

This cost us $109 plus tip which was probably about $40 more than QS would have. I'm not convinced it was worth it on this occasion but maybe different menu choices would have made a difference? We were able to pay with the dining credit but with no hand held scanner the server had to actually take my phone away through the back which I didn't love.

By now we were starting to feel a little let down by Disney food however we still had plenty of days to try and make up for it.

Dinner was a new one for us - The Turf Club at Saratoga Springs. We'd been meaning to try for ages and its also a nice way to see other resorts as we've never stayed here. Our original plan was to get the boat to DS and walk to SSR but between Mum having sore feet, Dad having a sore knee and us just generally being tired we scrapped that plan and I drove.

For some reason we were sat at the door again . In the Turf Club that wouldn't normally have been an issue as it's inside so the door just leads to the lounge. Unfortunately there was a loud group of people in the lounge which was quite disturbing. I often wish we were more like the Americans and had just asked to move to a different table. Anyway it didn't detract from the lovely food!

We were brought lovely bread rolls to start.

Marie and I had the filet mignon, well done. This came with roasted garlic potatoes, smoked vidalia onion and a cabernet-fig jus.

This was lovely and the steak was cooked to perfection without being butterflied (which we're asked a lot with well done steak).

Mum ordered the pan-seared salmon which came with roasted fingerling potatoes, caramelised root vegetable and a shellfish bisque.

She said this was really nice and I wished I'd booked the Turf Club twice so I could try it!

Dad ordered the Braised Lamb Tagliatelle which came with peas, crispy potato straws, whipped goats cheese and sherry gastrique.

Despite not reading the menu properly and thinking he was getting a lamb shank he enjoyed this!

Mum decided she wanted a dessert and since I can't see someone else with one and not get one myself so did I!

Mum went for the Black and White which was basically a panna cotta with chocolate.

I ordered the Mango-passion fruit creme brûlée.

These were both lovely. I like a creme brûlée as it's a nice light way to finish.

This was a really nice meal (the noisy group aside) I will definitely have this on the list for next time. It cost us $173 plus tip and we were able to use the dining credit easily as the server had a hand-held scanner. I didn't think that was too bad for 4 of us at Disney and I think some of the outlying resort restaurants are better choices for a nice meal than the more expensive and "fancier" ones.

So the Turf Club saved the day on Disney dining!

Trip Report Index

Edited at 07:48 PM.
Old 5 Jun 22, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I had The Plaza on my list for this trip as I was curious about the Monte Cristo, you have cured me of this! The Turf Club looks amazing- every dish you ordered looked fantastic- good to see you finished on a high note.
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 22, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Fab report so far. We’ve got the virgin Edinburgh flight booked for October, can’t wait, so over the whole BA swapping in London. Great that flight arrives pretty early as well.

Can’t beat a beignet. Glad the Turf Club met your expectations, hope you got in some other good Disney dining.