Stuck in the Tower of Terror

beaker72's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 6
Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Glad you had a good time overall.

Just to pick up on the Universal Express Pass - the one night hotel stay is definitely the way to do this. For one night in the cheapest of the three (usually Royal Pacific) you get two full days of early entry and unlimited express pass. Given that a night in RPR can usually be had for about £300, that is a solid bargain. Check in before 7am, leave your case with bell services, be at the park by 7.45 for early entry, then you’re good to go.

I wouldn’t dream of doing it any other way.
This is a good point and to be honest we've already thought about doing something like this. We reckon that if we were to go to Orlando again, we might do some kind of hybrid approach where the first week is spent in a combination of Disney and Universal hotels so we can take advantage of things like proximity, early opening and the express lane at Universal. The second (and maybe third) week(s) would then be chilling out in a villa.

The only thing there is that I think Moorlandman is right and that £300 is a bit optimistic now, but it's still worth considering.

Thanks to jas72 for his perspective on it as well.
beaker72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 22, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by beaker72 View Post
In all honesty it wasn't great. We started the drive at around 9:30am and finally got home at about 3:15pm. We stopped three times on the way to stretch legs and stock up on food and coffee and we had to take our friends back to Barrhead before we finally got home to the west end of Glasgow.

I was the only driver and was operating on around 2 hours sleep from the flight over. My co-pilot had the job of keeping talking to me to make sure I stayed alert but she had problems with that as she was knackered! We got home safely enough but it was a bit challenging.

I'd do it again, especially considering the crazy price differences now, but I wouldn't enjoy it. It would be much better with more than one driver though.
It’s not the best end to a holiday 😉. This is my fear, that i would need to stop a few times. My DH could share the drive, but he is dead against Manchester so not sure I could swing it if he has to drive - he just thinks he’d be too tired. Will see what the flight prices are like next month - might change his mind!

Thanks again for your H&L report and your help!
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 22, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
eleele
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for the perspective about Genie +.

Not getting it at first and seeing how you get on is something we’ll probably do.
eleele is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 22, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Hotel prices have been ramped up for peak periods this year - looking at £400-£500 a night for July. Big savings for 5 night plus bookings though….
We are going in November, booked last year and paying just over £300 for one night at RPR. So yes, partly depends when you go, but also booking early is helpful!

We are doing this in the middle of our stay at POFQ. Two full days is enough Universal for me as there are hardly any rides I go on!

Edited at 03:06 PM.
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 22, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
It sounds like you had a fab trip. What a shame about the heat exhaustion, that must have been quite scary. Although from what you say there were no lasting consequences. Thank you for sharing your highs and lows with us.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 22, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Pep
Imagineer

Sounds like a great trip overall as others have said the universal hotel one night stay is a good idea if you can get it for under £400 especially if there's 4 of you don't even need to stay in the room.
Volcano Bay is the best warterpark in Orlando but for me not worth paying $27 to park there!
Never done a full villa before but the more I read people's reviews makes me fancy it more and more just think location is important to get to parks as quickly as possible.
Like you say all the good folks on here are invaluable to help plan a vacation and other things they really are a great bunch👏
Pep is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 22, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Glad you had a good time overall.

Just to pick up on the Universal Express Pass - the one night hotel stay is definitely the way to do this. For one night in the cheapest of the three (usually Royal Pacific) you get two full days of early entry and unlimited express pass. Given that a night in RPR can usually be had for about £300, that is a solid bargain. Check in before 7am, leave your case with bell services, be at the park by 7.45 for early entry, then you’re good to go.

I wouldn’t dream of doing it any other way.
I've checked that out and at the moment it doesn't actually add up for me being a solo visitor, if I could get a very good price for one night it would make more sense. I stay at Disney on points and so that doesn't cost me a cash outlay. I think I could get everything I want done in Universal in 1 day so around $120. I'll keep an eye on this but at the moment as I said, for me, it doesn't make sense.
unixgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 22, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggeroo
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Great report 👍 Some elements of your trip sound very familiar to me. We visited in June and daily temperatures of 100 degrees. We also witnessed someone fainting in the queue at the Jungle Cruise and also whilst going the turnstiles at MK. We did exactly the same re I4 looking for alternative routes as it was madness on there. We also witnessed the Sheriffs with speed radars it scared the life out me when they jumped in front of our moving car ( we wasn’t speeding) so take care everyone when leaving main carriageways, we were heading for Celebration

Edited at 01:00 PM. Reason: Updated message
Tiggeroo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 22, 06:43 AM  
Link to this Post
LRMD
Imagineer

Good report!

I also learnt my lesson to drink more water when I fainted at Universal in the heat!

Now we always go Jan/Feb for nice cool weather!
LRMD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 22, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Love a warts and all highs and lows, realistic and helps us plan too. Thank you for taking the time.

Sounds like you had a fantastic trip despite the heat. I know I wouldn't cope in July and August, I barely managed the time we went in September.

Love the idea of a last ride at a waterpark.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List