Notices
Itineraries Post your Trip Itineraries here.

Old 26 Jul 22, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Tea
Imagineer

Road trip of sorts itinerary- critique!

Easter 2023, 3 weeks.
3 adults (1 is our eldest @20y), 4 kids (17- 11)
Likes: Wifi (they might DIE without Snapchat), our own space/ lots of room, our own pool (where possible), beaches, casual restaurants with GF options, lively but not raucous, things to do.
Don't like: Museums and too much indoor stuff. we are heathens and Philistines- so a week somewhere in Europe, outside a resort, would go thusly:
3 days on Wifi with me shoeing people outside to beach/ pool
Day 4: me getting hacked off we are just sitting about. Cue visit to a local attraction (e.g. small museum, church, winery)
Day 5: Water park or visit to a larger resort area
Day 6 & 7; See days 1-3.

Section 1:
Fly to Miami, or nearby (or possibly still Key West as the prices are keen).
6 nights.
2 nights Miami Beach, 2- 3 nights KW, 2 nights Key Largo, 1-2 nights Marathon/ Islamorada.
Activities:
- People watching/ cruise ship watching on MB
- Beach on MB
- Some sort of area tour MB
- Snorkelling to John Pennekamp Park KL
- Some other water based activity Marathon/ Isla
- Full day snorkelling/ jet ski/ parasailing with co. called Fury KW
- Sightseeing (land based) - pick a couple from White House, Hemingway House, the shipwreck museum and so on KW
Accommodation here was meant to be a massive RV but it has just proven a logistical PITA so we are stuck with 2 hotel rooms or a massive suite, not ideal.

Section 2:
3 nights TBC
This bit is a lot more fuzzy around the edges and I need your help. We intend driving from KL up the Tamiami trail, doing the Buffalo Tiger airboat on the way... headed for... I don't really know... Naples is the closest on the Gulf Coast that makes sense from a driving perspective.
But for a "fun" perspective? approx 3 days in this area...
No real idea what to do here... could stay in one place, move around... Captiva, Sanibel, Venice, Naples... don't know anything

Section 3:

Clearwater area. 6 nights.
Mix of sitting on the beach and Busch Gardens. (I have another thread on exactly where to locate ourselves, but the guys want near beach, own pool, enough space after cramped hotel rooms).
Again no real plan here as yet and wondering if 6 nights it too much combined with Section 2

Section 4:
Orlando. 7-9 nights.
Finally have lots of space in a villa!
- Villa pool time
- DC/ SW/ AQ combos in mornings or afternoons (4.5 days total)
- 1 day in a Disney park
- Revisiting all the usual haunts and seeing what has changed inc Disney Springs, the beignets at POFQ, shopping at Vineland, south i-drive etc.
Am I cutting this too short?

Edited at 07:19 PM.
Tea is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 22, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Tea
Imagineer

Actually I think I might be leaving myself a little short on Orlando. I really want to do Kelly Springs having driven up there twice last time for it to be full. Also wouldn't mind a day trip to St Augustine, or a night there if a day trip is not feasible. While we do want theme park tickets, we are starting to look outside of the parks as the costs are too much, esp Disney.
Old 26 Jul 22, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Eeyore14
Apprentice Imagineer

Eeyore14's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Hi, we loved snorkelling at John Pennekamp, there is a small changing room there so you can get changed when you come off the boat.
We’ve been there twice, driving there when we stayed on Estero Island which is Fort Myers Beach, we rented a house there in 2012 and 2017, sadly the house isn’t rented anymore, but it was a great place to stay as there was parasailing and wave runners you could rent on the beach. It’s only a bit further on than Naples if your driving from Miami. We had manatees and dolphins in the canal next to the house. We stayed there for 3 weeks the beach was literally at the end of the road, so that might be somewhere to look into for your beach, own pool and space time. We then had a week in Orlando full on and found that plenty of time.
If your looking at renting a bit further north nearer Clearwater Dunedin, Palm Harbour, Tarpon Springs might be worth a look at. The beaches Honeymoon Island, Howard Park Beach while nice for a day out are not as good as Clearwater, Fort Myers. Caladesi Island is nice and unusual in that you have to get a ferry there, but you wouldn’t want to be doing that everyday when you want to pop to the beach.
We’ve also stayed at Springhill several times in villas (very reasonably priced round there), you’ve got Weeki Wachee on your doorstep, Crystal River up the road and Busch Gardens about an hour away as is Clearwater.
Old 27 Jul 22, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Tea
Imagineer

I like the look of Estero Island! thanks for the tips.
Old 27 Jul 22, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

We’ve stayed a couple of times around Fort Myers beach. There are some apartment type complexes with communal pools right on the beach which we found to be very reasonable and with 2 beds. This one has a lovely cinema nearby where you can order food to your seat.
gulfviewmanor/
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 22, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Take a look at my 2 trip reports in my signature which cover the Keys and Gulf Coast for some more ideas.

I would definitely pay a visit to the Turtle Hospital at Marathon on the Keys. John Pennekamp Park is beautiful and don't miss visiting the aquarium there. A visit to Caladesi Island would be on my list too - 4 hour maximum visit allowed and best to go early for the quietness. Feel free to ask any questions - am envious of your trip!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 22, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Tea
Imagineer

Actually I have been reading your most recent one and making notes Anji... must get stuck into the 2017 one!
I might go to Caladesi Island by myself for some peace and quiet!
Old 29 Jul 22, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Tea
Imagineer

If you had to shorten a part of it, to lengthen another, what would you choose?
I am biasing towards Orlando as not only would I like to do Kelly Springs and St Augustine, but am now seeing the bioluminescence kayaking as well.
Too much to do! If I could stay 6 weeks I would.