Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 1 Aug 22, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Small hand luggage only

Hi all

I’m embarking on a complex (booked before all the travel issues started happening) three connection flight to Hawaii next month. Aer Lingus and other airlines.

I’m preparing myself for the possibility that our checked luggage may not make it from Bristol to Dublin to San Francisco to Honolulu and considering hand luggage as a back up.

I have two problems:

The first leg (Bristol to Dublin) dictates the hand luggage for the entire trip and it’s quite small in size and weight.

I will need at least half to two thirds of the small allowance for essential (can’t lose! ) meds.

How Dibbers would you pack? What advice would you give me?

Thanks
Karen
Old 1 Aug 22, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Wonder
Imagineer

2 very light dresses with 4 X knickers and socks.

If your luggage doesn't make it you wear one dress one day, if it needs to be refreshed you do it in the hotel shower and hang, day 2 you wear the other dress and by day 3 the first dress is dry and hopefully by then your luggage has turned up.

On travel day wear a bra that will work with the two light dresses!
Old 2 Aug 22, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

If you have a lot of medication to take (DS has Type 1 diabetes) if you contact the airline special needs team they can authorise you taking another bag solely for medical bits
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 22, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Wear a jacket with zip pockets and fill them, get everyone travelling with you to do the same. Can you take an additional item such as a small handbag/camera case etc? Do you know anyone close to Dublin airport who could meet you with additional items and/or a larger hand luggage bag, or could you shop at the airport for extras or pickup extra medical supplies from there? Hand luggage doesn't have to be robust, it can be a carrier bag if it makes life easier.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 22, 05:48 AM  
Link to this Post
kikimouse
Apprentice Imagineer

What flight is Bristol to Dublin? Any chance to upgrade to large cabin bag instead of small hand luggage?

I would follow what another poster suggest about contacting the airline re: extra bag for meds.

Otherwise, 4 knickers, 1 bra, a couple of shirts and shorts. Oprt to buy toiletries airside and stuff them inside a duty free bag.

Also remember, if they lose or delayed your liggage, you can buy clothes, toiletries etc to tide you over and claim this back. Confirm with ariline first and keep all receipts.
kikimouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 22, 06:17 AM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Agree with the others to contact the airline special needs re an extra meds bag also you can usually get away with a small rucksack as well plus I'd avoid a hard shell case as you can fit more in a soft case / bag. You can fit easily a weeks worth of summer clothes into hand luggage, shorts, t-shirts, a couple of dresses, undies and PJ's. I'd also invest in some AirTags, you'll know immediately if your luggage doesn't make it onto each flight and you can contact the airline right away. As Kikimouse said they should give you a daily allowance to buy essentials until your luggage arrives just keep the receipts.

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 22, 06:50 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
If the first flight was booked with the others you usually get the larger baggage allowance throughout.

We have always taken a cabin case plus a back pack with no issues.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 22, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Talland 2016 View Post
If you have a lot of medication to take (DS has Type 1 diabetes) if you contact the airline special needs team they can authorise you taking another bag solely for medical bits
Same

Will do!

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
Wear a jacket with zip pockets and fill them, get everyone travelling with you to do the same. Can you take an additional item such as a small handbag/camera case etc? Do you know anyone close to Dublin airport who could meet you with additional items and/or a larger hand luggage bag, or could you shop at the airport for extras or pickup extra medical supplies from there? Hand luggage doesn't have to be robust, it can be a carrier bag if it makes life easier.
I wouldn’t trust travelling light of my meds in case DUB didn’t have them (though it’s an excellent suggestion). I am also mindful that the US pre clearance area sounds like it doesn’t have a lot there!

Originally Posted by kikimouse View Post
What flight is Bristol to Dublin? Any chance to upgrade to large cabin bag instead of small hand luggage?

I would follow what another poster suggest about contacting the airline re: extra bag for meds.

Otherwise, 4 knickers, 1 bra, a couple of shirts and shorts. Oprt to buy toiletries airside and stuff them inside a duty free bag.

Also remember, if they lose or delayed your liggage, you can buy clothes, toiletries etc to tide you over and claim this back. Confirm with ariline first and keep all receipts.
It’s an Emerald Islands one, i think, though possibly branded Aer Lingus (not sure). Thank you!

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
If the first flight was booked with the others you usually get the larger baggage allowance throughout.

We have always taken a cabin case plus a back pack with no issues.
I would agree with that under normal circumstances Bev but I am assuming (but would love to be wrong) that it’s an issue with the size of the first plane dictating the acceptable luggage size? I know when we travelled a first leg of a transatlantic flight on a Flybe plane that the overhead lockers physically won’t house our normal carry on luggage. I was thinking that the Emerald Islands plane would be the same as the dimensions are referenced on our tickets (and smaller than all the other journeys)?

Thanks for the advice folks
Old 2 Aug 22, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

I fly the Bristol to Dublin route on a regular basis. The airplane is a 20 seater propeller plane operated by Aer Lingus regional. The bag size is because the overhead lockers are small than a normal plane. They are very strict on bag size due to the small plane.

When you get to Dublin Airport will you have time to go shopping?
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 22, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

This is what the plane looks like

Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List