Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Aug 22, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

My daughter has a US CPAP machine the standard advice here is to use distilled water only. Nothing to do with the water being unsafe but to stop the mineral/scale build up on the heating plate. It is available by the gallon in the shops but can be a little hard to spot. Even Disney Cruise Line supplies it on request as it is so common here.
Old 12 Aug 22, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Jammy31
Apprentice Imagineer

Jammy31's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 24
Guidebook Reviews: 4
Wow!
Thank you all for your replies.
So many useful tips here!

I didn't know about the dishwasher thing either, so that will help out massively.

I have made a note about the distilled water, as I would love to not have to spend time on holiday cleaning it as often thanks, to build up

Jammy31 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ILoveDaveLamb View Post
I never knew you could pop your bits in the dishwasher! Lifechanging! Welcome to the club, OP. X
Me either! Not sure about how it can clean the inside of the hose though.
Old 12 Aug 22, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
Me either! Not sure about how it can clean the inside of the hose though.
It probably doesn’t do a great job on the tube but better than nothing (I think the hot steam will help kill bacteria) also my machine instructions say tap water so haven’t used distilled (I guess some humidify differently ?) but in USA use bottled mineral water but that is my choice rather than following the destructions (as My partner calls them as they are frightening ! )

Edited at 04:23 PM.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
g1970
Imagineer

g1970's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by RiverandMummy View Post
Any advice on the headband Velcro? His seems to have started to weaken?
Contact the sleep clinic he got it from, mine posts spare filters, masks etc out when i ask for them
g1970 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
It probably doesn’t do a great job on the tube but better than nothing (I think the hot steam will help kill bacteria) also my machine instructions say tap water so haven’t used distilled (I guess some humidify differently ?) but in USA use bottled mineral water but that is my choice rather than following the destructions (as My partner calls them as they are frightening ! )
Very true about the hose. DD's machine has a metal plate that heats up to generate vapor. There is no scale on it after 3 months because of using distilled water.
Old 12 Aug 22, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
Very true about the hose. DD's machine has a metal plate that heats up to generate vapor. There is no scale on it after 3 months because of using distilled water.
Mine has a metal plate in the machine and it touches a metal plate on the water container thing - I run that through the dishwasher which must rid it (and cheaper than me buying special water lol) - just had a look at it and its fine

Just ordered some filters tho as didnt realise they needed replacing and have had mine since Feb ! (Amazon to the rescue) so this thread has been useful to me 👍
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Husband rang the clinic today and they are sending a new band as it actually ripped at the seams at the back of the head bit yesterday. It’s held together for now with some very rough stitching of mine!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List