Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 7 Aug 22, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Andysaurus
Apprentice Imagineer

Other than the messed up order and offish attitude you describe, this sounds like great service to me Hate the table being cluttered so clearing unused items even if still eating is fine to me and I also hate the awkwardness of having to wait and flag down a waiter for the bill so having it quickly without asking would be a plus. I'm not really one to linger in restaurants, I like to eat my food and go.
Andysaurus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
casper_gutman
Helping Minnie

The early plate clearing is considered good service in many cultures. On out last trip to Italy we ate out loads, and it was very noticeable that the posher restaurants with more staff per table were really slick at whipping plates away the moment you finished eating: it's obviously seen as a mark of good service not to leave people with a lot of dirty pots in front of them!
casper_gutman is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
What I find amazing is the completely different attitudes here versus there. We ate out at a local restaurant where we are regulars and Mum eats so slowly I think the waitress assumed she was in a different time zone and started to clear the plates. She was mortified when she realised Mum was still eating no matter how much we said we preferred she clear the plates. Our leftovers would have grown penicillin if we’d waited for Mum 😂.

OP I would have issue with blaming you for the order mistake and asking about dessert while you were still eating mains. The plate clearing is fine by me and happy for them to bring the bill as long as they’re happy to wait until we’re ready to pay.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 22, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Blaming you for the order mistake and bothering you to pay is terrible service

However, I am with a lot of others here in that I much prefer them to clear plates when someone has finished as I hate dirty plates sitting around. I also much prefer them to bring the bill early then have to try and get someone to bring it at the end. I will not look at it until we have finished though.
Wismgari is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
TheBounce
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Clearing plates while others are eating is considered polite in America. It would be seen as rude to leave a dirty plate in front of someone.

Likewise, bringing the bill while you are still eating is considered good service, not making you wait or ask. It doesn’t mean they are rushing you.

These two things have been discussed hundreds of times on here over the years, it’s a cultural difference rather than poor service.
As someone relatively new to this and similar sites, thank you fit this response as I wasn't aware of this cultural difference 🙂
TheBounce is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
TheBounce
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
What I find amazing is the completely different attitudes here versus there. We ate out at a local restaurant where we are regulars and Mum eats so slowly I think the waitress assumed she was in a different time zone and started to clear the plates. She was mortified when she realised Mum was still eating no matter how much we said we preferred she clear the plates. Our leftovers would have grown penicillin if we’d waited for Mum 😂.

OP I would have issue with blaming you for the order mistake and asking about dessert while you were still eating mains. The plate clearing is fine by me and happy for them to bring the bill as long as they’re happy to wait until we’re ready to pay.
Agreed. I found WDW restaurants better than US and SW for customer service (apart from a negative experience at Liberty Tree Tavern... that said, it was MNSSHP and the server was clearly flustered as numerous families were trying to rush to get to that).
TheBounce is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
trampslikeus
Apprentice Imagineer

Had a few meals on City Walk and from my experience Big Fire was the best both in terms of food and service. Couldn’t fault them at all (other than they didn’t open till 3pm)
trampslikeus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 22, 12:06 AM  
Link to this Post
FunTimes
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
I don’t appreciate receiving it whilst still eating (and have never until now in all the years we’ve been coming).
Fairly standard practice in the USA. I like it. Saves me having to chase them down. They see it as good service.

The rest was pretty poor.

Edited at 12:08 AM.
FunTimes is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 22, 12:27 AM  
Link to this Post
assos
VIP Dibber

I hate waiting around for a bill, but wouldn’t want it before ready especially not whilst someone is still eating.

When I worked in a pub that did table service, if a table didn’t want pud I’d just say if they need anything let me know. That way it gave an opportunity for them to say if they were ready for the bill, but without putting any pressure on them to do so. It also helped me as I didn’t need to pester them every 5 minutes to see if they needed anything - obviously I still needed to be paying attention - but the onus was on the customer at that point to let me know when they were ready / if they wanted something else.
Old 21 Aug 22, 01:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Stokieuk
Very Serious Dibber

Didn’t enjoy this place at all. Waited ages for food and was luke warm when it arrived. Server asked if we wanted desserts before we had finished mains. Said not sure yet and next minute we had the check. Guessing they are under pressure from management to turn the tables around as quickly as possible 🤷
Stokieuk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List