Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 10 Aug 22, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

I tip but mostly because my mam and grandmother both did the job and I worked in a hotel myself so I have a soft spot for them. Not an easy job and I’m always happy to give a few dollars and a bit more when the housekeeper goes above and beyond. In the US, that has happened many times where we’re on a first name basis and the housekeeper is leaving us extra shampoos and chocolates and chatting to us in the corridor about our day.

It’s definitely a “thing” in the Disney community. Many on the US forums make/made(?) tipping envelopes for housekeeping.

It is of course not mandatory and not a faux pas not to tip.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Have never tipped at the front desk, but have tipped bell services at HRH as they took our bags up to the room for us. Might tip housekeeping at the end of the stay if they’ve been frequently enough and done a good job. However on our last 2 Disney trips we declined housekeeping so didn’t bother. I’ve done it on European holidays too, just left a token amount at the end of the holiday as a thank you as they work hard in that short turn around they have to get the room ready for others.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Only time I e ever tipped hotel reception was after asking for and getting a complimentary upgrade .
When I’ve been upgraded without asking I don’t .
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

As i intend to go cash less , how do people tip now ? I know in restuarunts I can put it on the bill, but what about bell hops etc ?
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
outofdate
Excited about Disney

outofdate's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I’m planning to only tip the bell hop but not sure how much that is now. I think I gave the $5 for two cases last time but not sure if that has gone up now!
Old 10 Aug 22, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Bell hop $1 per bag ( if we use it which isnt often) , restaurant 18% that's about it for us. I've never tipped housekeeping,. If reception went over and above , then I might, infact we did once at old key west when we had booked a studio and got a villa, that was worth a tip for sure
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
lemmiwinkles
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by shack69 View Post
As i intend to go cash less , how do people tip now ? I know in restuarunts I can put it on the bill, but what about bell hops etc ?
The cash we bring is purely for tips nowadays. I feel it saves a bit of money especially at the bar where you feel you need to add on 20% to the receipt, whereas a dollar or two in cash for opening a beer is easy.
lemmiwinkles is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by outofdate View Post
I’m planning to only tip the bell hop but not sure how much that is now. I think I gave the $5 for two cases last time but not sure if that has gone up now!
In 2018 (last time we stayed at universal) We tipped $20 for 4 large cases & 2 hand luggage cases that were on the trolley. Wether that was right or not, I felt it was the correct amount.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
When we use Bell Services we tip if someone comes to the room and collects the bags and again if someone helps us to the car with them. I probably over tip as I never really know when it’s right to do it with the bags. We tip $1 a bag.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

I tip housekeeping wherever I go in the world at the end of our stay, would feel bad not doing it.

This is the only thing we take cash for really

In places like the Maldives and on cruises they take such care with the room, leaving bed decorations etc

If staying on site and we barely saw them like seems to be happening now then I wouldn’t

Edited at 01:08 PM.
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List