Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 11 Aug 22, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Garlicbread
Proud to wear my Ears

Ahh such a shame as the Truman was lovely for the price in comparison with others. Am sure the Blue Marlin hotel will be great though... we did the reverse to you and did Miami, Keys and Gulf Coast then Orlando. Miami, Keys and Everglades was a bit whistle stop and we wished afterwards we spent more time in the Keys so if you do add a 2nd night in Marathon instead of Miami that could be a good shout!

Have listed some suggestions/ideas based on each key! Have marked some as DO! to indicate must do's but all about opinion and someone else may say differently!

Key Largo
We skipped a bit due to heading to Key west and wanting to get there but stopped for food at Mrs Macs, which is unbelievable value for the quality. Again, google it, they now have x2 in Key Largo and both very highly rated on Trip Adviser.
There is also Skippers, Sundowners, Snooks and Bayside Grille which others on here have recommended for dinner. These are great spots if you are after a sunset view and a meal in the evening.
John Pennekamp State Park - again we didnt do but was on the list. Can get a glass bottom boat out to the coral reef and snorkel etc.

Islamorada
Robbies - this is about 1/2 way on straight drive from Miami to Key West. Great place to stop for bite to eat, drink, snack and feed the tarpon from the deck. Go on website to get a feel. There are lots of little stalls etc too. You can mooch and stretch legs for an hour or so here. DO!

Marathon
Sombero Beach - if you are a beachy person. Nice beach, one of the best in Keys.
Dolphin Research Centre - maybe if you are spending more time in Marathon. We didnt do this but was on my list to perhaps do.
7 mile bridge - You will obviously do as you are driving to KW. Look out for Fred the tree growing out of the middle of the old bridge next to you! DO! (you will :-)
Sunset Grille and Raw Bar - is right before 7 mile bridge. Great place for food and has its own pool overlooking 7 mile bridge so you can eat and take a dip and admire the views! Good place for sunset too! DO!

Big Pine Key
Bahia Honda State Park - Awesome beach(s) with scenic view of broken bridge in the middle. $10 entry. Google it! Pristine turquoise waters. There is a very easy trail that you can take to visit both the east and west portion of the park - two different beaches. We walked round to the old broken bridge and spotted shark, rays and sea turtles swimming about. DO!
No name pub - google it! Covered head to toe in dollar bills. Its a little off Highway 1 and not well known but again a good place to stop for drink or snack. You will also probably get to see the little Key Deer enroute. Endangered deer, the only place they are. DO!

Key West
Theres lots to do (and that we didnt have time for) and i wish we did another night as we loved the feel of it. So some shortish suggestions:
Ernest Hemingway House - we didnt do.
Little Harry Truman White House - we didnt do.
Malloy Square - is an absolute must for sunset. Lots of street entertainers and stalls for the nightly event, can get crowded so get there for a nice spot for pics! Sunset was incredible! DO!
Duval Street - cant miss it. Lively, lots of places for drink and food, but mainly drink i would say! Sloppy Joes is good. Good spot to people watch we found! DO!
Fort Zachery State Park - again we didnt have time for this so cant comment :-(
Southernmost Point in USA landmark - 90 miles from Cuba and closer to another country than a Walmart! Must of a photo spot. DO!

There are plenty of helicopter, boat trips and even sea plane trips (see Dry Tortugas National park if you are feeling flush) where you can get out and see the keys, sand bars, other remote islands etc.

I'll do a seperate post for you on Everglades...
Garlicbread is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 22, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Garlicbread View Post
Ahh such a shame as the Truman was lovely for the price in comparison with others. Am sure the Blue Marlin hotel will be great though... we did the reverse to you and did Miami, Keys and Gulf Coast then Orlando. Miami, Keys and Everglades was a bit whistle stop and we wished afterwards we spent more time in the Keys so if you do add a 2nd night in Marathon instead of Miami that could be a good shout!

Have listed some suggestions/ideas based on each key! Have marked some as DO! to indicate must do's but all about opinion and someone else may say differently!

Key Largo
We skipped a bit due to heading to Key west and wanting to get there but stopped for food at Mrs Macs, which is unbelievable value for the quality. Again, google it, they now have x2 in Key Largo and both very highly rated on Trip Adviser.
There is also Skippers, Sundowners, Snooks and Bayside Grille which others on here have recommended for dinner. These are great spots if you are after a sunset view and a meal in the evening.
John Pennekamp State Park - again we didnt do but was on the list. Can get a glass bottom boat out to the coral reef and snorkel etc.

Islamorada
Robbies - this is about 1/2 way on straight drive from Miami to Key West. Great place to stop for bite to eat, drink, snack and feed the tarpon from the deck. Go on website to get a feel. There are lots of little stalls etc too. You can mooch and stretch legs for an hour or so here. DO!

Marathon
Sombero Beach - if you are a beachy person. Nice beach, one of the best in Keys.
Dolphin Research Centre - maybe if you are spending more time in Marathon. We didnt do this but was on my list to perhaps do.
7 mile bridge - You will obviously do as you are driving to KW. Look out for Fred the tree growing out of the middle of the old bridge next to you! DO! (you will :-)
Sunset Grille and Raw Bar - is right before 7 mile bridge. Great place for food and has its own pool overlooking 7 mile bridge so you can eat and take a dip and admire the views! Good place for sunset too! DO!

Big Pine Key
Bahia Honda State Park - Awesome beach(s) with scenic view of broken bridge in the middle. $10 entry. Google it! Pristine turquoise waters. There is a very easy trail that you can take to visit both the east and west portion of the park - two different beaches. We walked round to the old broken bridge and spotted shark, rays and sea turtles swimming about. DO!
No name pub - google it! Covered head to toe in dollar bills. Its a little off Highway 1 and not well known but again a good place to stop for drink or snack. You will also probably get to see the little Key Deer enroute. Endangered deer, the only place they are. DO!

Key West
Theres lots to do (and that we didnt have time for) and i wish we did another night as we loved the feel of it. So some shortish suggestions:
Malloy Square - is an absolute must for sunset. Lots of street entertainers and stalls for the nightly event, can get crowded so get there for a nice spot for pics! Sunset was incredible! DO!
Duval Street - cant miss it. Lively, lots of places for drink and food, but mainly drink i would say! Sloppy Joes is good. Good spot to people watch we found! DO!
Southernmost Point in USA landmark - 90 miles from Cuba and closer to another country than a Walmart! Must of a photo spot. DO!

There are plenty of helicopter, boat trips and even sea plane trips (see Dry Tortugas National park if you are feeling flush) where you can get out and see the keys, sand bars, other remote islands etc.

This is amazing thank you! The majority of these were on my (very long) list so it is great to hear how much you enjoyed them so I have some idea which to prioritise!

I do worry how much we will enjoy Key West as non-drinkers, but hopefully we can find some quieter bits when we need a break!

We had a sea plane to Dry Tortugas booked in 2020, but with the exchange rate and increasing costs I am not sure it will be making our list this year unfortunately. I get sea sick very easily so the boat is definitely not an option!

I look forward to your Everglades instalment - that is the bit I am yet to plan very much.
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 22, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Garlicbread View Post

Key Largo

Islamorada

Marathon

Big Pine Key

Key West

Thanks for this. We're flying out to Miami to tomorrow for 8 nights in the Keys, split between Key West and Islamorada. Have a number of similar things on our 'list' but had forgotten about Bahia Honda SP, so cheers.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 22, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Olympiad View Post
Thanks for this. We're flying out to Miami to tomorrow for 8 nights in the Keys, split between Key West and Islamorada. Have a number of similar things on our 'list' but had forgotten about Bahia Honda SP, so cheers.
Oh wow, 8 days in the keys! Have an amazing time ☺️
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List