Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 9 Aug 22, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Stokieuk
Very Serious Dibber

Can I change a rental car if not happy?

With Alamo?

Now I know there are bugs in Florida but we have literally killed 3 small cockroaches in the car and I am concerned there is a nest in the car 😳

How would I go about swapping cars and can I?

Edited at 09:08 PM.
Stokieuk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Go to the airport and say the engine light keeps coming on. They won’t bat an eyelid and you’ll get a new one. I’ve done it a few times and there’s been a lot of posts recently of people swapping out for various reasons.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Stokieuk
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Softy View Post
Go to the airport and say the engine light keeps coming on. They won’t bat an eyelid and you’ll get a new one. I’ve done it a few times and there’s been a lot of posts recently of people swapping out for various reasons.
Daft question but do you just rock up at car rental return and do I need take it back full?
Stokieuk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 05:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Stokieuk View Post
Daft question but do you just rock up at car rental return and do I need take it back full?
You just turn up, no appointment needed. I have never topped up the car with fuel and I have swapped out a few with slow punctures.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 06:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
You just turn up, no appointment needed. I have never topped up the car with fuel and I have swapped out a few with slow punctures.
Same. I’ve had a few free tanks of fuel from it 😏
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
garryboy11
slightly serious Dibber

Well. I tried this a couple of weeks ago (the engine light was genuinely coming on - intermittently) and was told in no uncertain terms that they couldn’t swap it out as they had no other vehicles to offer.

Well, they did eventually offer a kid size saloon - but I had a full size SUV!

This was at MCO and yea I did ask them to check both garages.

All they could advise was to take the car to a Firestone garage and they would sort the issue and charge back to Alamo (which I did).

So - be aware that you might have a wasted trip to the airport.

Of course if all depends on timing and how busy they are - I was probably just unlucky that I arrived at a super busy time and also that full size SUVs are thin on the ground anyway.
garryboy11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
edu_afp
Serious Dibber

edu_afp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
I have swapped several times over the years for various reasons, they usually don't care why and will swap it if they have availability just to get you out if their way.

Back with my DS May 2023
edu_afp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by garryboy11 View Post
Well. I tried this a couple of weeks ago (the engine light was genuinely coming on - intermittently) and was told in no uncertain terms that they couldn’t swap it out as they had no other vehicles to offer.

Well, they did eventually offer a kid size saloon - but I had a full size SUV!

This was at MCO and yea I did ask them to check both garages.

All they could advise was to take the car to a Firestone garage and they would sort the issue and charge back to Alamo (which I did).

So - be aware that you might have a wasted trip to the airport.

Of course if all depends on timing and how busy they are - I was probably just unlucky that I arrived at a super busy time and also that full size SUVs are thin on the ground anyway.

Yeah there’s obviously not an awful lot they can do if they don’t have the same size (or bigger) car there. As you said full size SUVs (and minivans) are hard to get hold of post covid. As you said, had you gone a few hours later or the next day there may have been some.

But these threads are generally helpful to make everyone aware that it is allowed and isn’t a problem (save for having a suitable car in stock). Post covid the cars are older and will have genuine problems more often.

Airport locations are best, as they have the largest excess stock of cars.

The off airport locations generally only have what they need/have booked out. I think the Disney car care centre normally has some excess cars though.
Old 10 Aug 22, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
edu_afp
Serious Dibber

edu_afp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Yeah there’s obviously not an awful lot they can do if they don’t have the same size (or bigger) car there. As you said full size SUVs (and minivans) are hard to get hold of post covid. As you said, had you gone a few hours later or the next day there may have been some.

But these threads are generally helpful to make everyone aware that it is allowed and isn’t a problem (save for having a suitable car in stock). Post covid the cars are older and will have genuine problems more often.

The off airport locations generally only have what they need/have booked out. I think the Disney car care centre normally has some excess cars though.
I do believe that DCCC is a good option to try if you're staying in the area, it may save you the trip to the airport though options may be limited. I did it swap only once there, they had no availability but called me upon getting a car of my category and swapped seamlessly. DCCC is a bit more personalized than airport locations.

Back with my DS May 2023
edu_afp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
garryboy11
slightly serious Dibber

Oh agreed - it’s usually sound advice and airport locations (particularly MCO) are usually good bets - just didn’t work for me.

Still worth a shot though and will probably work 99/100. Just wasn’t my lucky day.
garryboy11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List