Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 11 Aug 22, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
WeHeartOrlando
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by HFJohnson View Post
Thanks, that's helpful. Can you describe the drops on Hagrids? I got the impression the cars just dropped straight down a few feet sort of like TOT, rather than long swoopy falls, if that makes sense?

I love BTM too so don't want to miss out on Guardians if I'd probably enjoy it.
Hagrid’s is a multi launch coaster and is really fast at times. The track tilts to the side and there are quick stops, hills and twists and turns too but never to the extent you feel upside down or any sensation of coming out of your seat (except for the second big drop).

The first big drop is a section where the vehicles go up a sort of “half loop” bit of track. The track is incomplete and the bikes stall and free fall backwards and then go into the backwards part of the ride which is longer than on Everest but not in the dark. You then enter the cave where it is dark and get entangled in Devil’s Snare and the bikes come to a stop. Hagrid gets you to repeat a spell to free yourselves and the whole track drops (the second big drop) and you then zoom forward to escape. This is the purple button bit and is the fastest launch part. This drop is the scariest bit for me. Your tummy will go a little but it’s actually really quick.

YouTube is good but it’s so hard to get a feel for what the rides are really like until you’re there and can watch them or ride them, by which time if it’s not for you it’s a bit late! I made that mistake in Blackpool a few months ago saw a bit of Icon and thought it looked like Cheetah Hunt so jumped on. The second launch I greyed out and was a shaking mess by the time I got off. Haha!
Cabana Bay: Sep 2019 Oct 2023
DLP: Oct 05 Sep 13 Feb 14 July 19
WeHeartOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 22, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

If it helps I think of Hagrid's as a family coaster.

It's not even in the same 'scariness' ballpark as many of the proper coasters out there (stuff like Velocicoaster, Hulk, Mako, Manta, Kraken, Rip Ride Rockit, etc).

I would say it feels quite fast but not out of control. You know the drop is coming so it's not too bad of a surprise and it's not even vaguely close to the scope of the drop in ToT.

It is a great ride and, I think, probably my favourite ride in the world. My 80 year-old dad handled it OK and really enjoyed it.

Edited at 04:40 PM.
fl-veteran is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 22, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsmickey
Very Serious Dibber

If it also helps, I personally find wickerman the worst roller coaster I’ve ever been on. Constant rattle and head bashing, with very little positive reward.
mrsmickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 03:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Indy_UK

My 6 year old son really surprised us this trip, considering he has never done rides before he went as far as Everest which was a bit scary for him but he loved guardians and it’s now his favourite ride
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 05:50 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by WeHeartOrlando View Post
I too am a mid level wimp but have ridden both Hagrid’s and Guardians and would say that Hagrid’s is the best coaster/ride I’ve ever been on.

I have ridden the other rides you listed (space mountain, TOT etc) but will say that I find SM and RnRC intense and will often skip them. I love Tower and Everest but they’re the limits of my intensity levels. You’ll never get me on Hulk or Manta etc although I have ridden Mako but I likely won’t repeat that either haha!

I’d suggest riding Hagrid but sitting in the sidecar as you sit lower in the seat and it feels more secure than the bike. That’s what I did as I was nervous about the drop before the backwards bit and the Devil’s Snare drop. I’ve now ridden many times and much prefer the bike to sidecar but the devils snare but still scares me!

I didn’t find Guardians intense at all tbh. I’d say it’s on a par with big thunder mountain in terms of rollercoaster thrill levels ( I love BTM!). The spinning isn’t as intense as I’d read about before going and there aren’t a lot of drops, or certainly not any feelings of going down a drop. The music is loud but it’s good fun.

Hagrid’s is definitely more intense than Guardians but both are doable for ride wimps 🤣
Ooh you are the first person I’ve come across with exactly the same ride tolerance as me! (I love Everest and TOT, I’ve learnt if I scream all the way down Splash that I’m ok 😂 and I often skip RNRC as it does something weird to my head - also never attempted the likes of hulk!)

Can I just ask you, as you definitely seem on my level! - do you ride Dudley do right? (I have always chickened out and I really want to give it a go!) and am I right in thinking velocicoaster is a definite no no?

I will def give Hagrids and Cosimc Rewind a go after this thread, so thanks guys!
amy56 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
SamH88
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
Ooh you are the first person I’ve come across with exactly the same ride tolerance as me! (I love Everest and TOT, I’ve learnt if I scream all the way down Splash that I’m ok 😂 and I often skip RNRC as it does something weird to my head - also never attempted the likes of hulk!)

Can I just ask you, as you definitely seem on my level! - do you ride Dudley do right? (I have always chickened out and I really want to give it a go!) and am I right in thinking velocicoaster is a definite no no?

I will def give Hagrids and Cosimc Rewind a go after this thread, so thanks guys!
I’m a big wimp too won’t do Everest or TOT but do Splash. Dudley Do Right would be very similar to Splash. I’ve only gone on it once and got stuck right at the top of the drop for 10 mins so that made it feel worse than it actually was 😂
SamH88 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post

Originally Posted by SamH88 View Post
I’m a big wimp too won’t do Everest or TOT but do Splash. Dudley Do Right would be very similar to Splash. I’ve only gone on it once and got stuck right at the top of the drop for 10 mins so that made it feel worse than it actually was 😂
DDRF can only be compared to Splash Mountain in that they're both flume rides with a drop. The drop on DDRF is just so much... just... more... than Splash Mountain. I find Splash Mountain a bit tame, whereas DDRF gives me a proper thrill. I think it's something to do with the initial angle of descent.

As an enthusiast of 'scary' rides, I'm going out on a limb here and saying DDRF is scarier than Hagrid's. I maintain that Hagrid's is a 'family' ride!
Old 12 Aug 22, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fl-veteran View Post
DDRF can only be compared to Splash Mountain in that they're both flume rides with a drop. The drop on DDRF is just so much... just... more... than Splash Mountain. I find Splash Mountain a bit tame, whereas DDRF gives me a proper thrill. I think it's something to do with the initial angle of descent.

As an enthusiast of 'scary' rides, I'm going out on a limb here and saying DDRF is scarier than Hagrid's. I maintain that Hagrid's is a 'family' ride!
The more hagrids is referred to as a family ride the more worried I get about trying slinky dog, which is also a family coaster! I found hagrids so intense, far too fast and too tight corners... I felt so dizzy!

No problem with splash or Dudley's though ... They are two of my favourite rides!
Wismgari is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wismgari View Post
The more hagrids is referred to as a family ride the more worried I get about trying slinky dog, which is also a family coaster! I found hagrids so intense, far too fast and too tight corners... I felt so dizzy!

No problem with splash or Dudley's though ... They are two of my favourite rides!
Slinky is much less intense than hagrids.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wismgari View Post

I've not rode Slinky Dog yet, sorry. Family coasters aren't all the same though, they can still be thrilling and Hagrid's is definitely at the more thrilling end of the 'family' scale.

I'm probably using my own made up definition but for me a family coaster has no inversions and no huge drops but can still be thrilling (tight turns, smaller drops, speed / acceleration, novel elements).