Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 11 Aug 22, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickeys Mrs
Imagineer

Weight Loss Surgery and impact on eating out - Guide to the best places

Good Morning

Its been a whole since I have asked a Question here on the Dibb, but as our holiday is fast approaching this is starting to concern me somewhat

Both my husband and I have had weight loss surgery and can no longer eat more than a starter sized meal (side plate in size).

We are not worried about breakfast we are going to take cereal with some plastic bowls and lunches we are happy to get quick service and get 1 meal to share or even a child's meal each but are there any restaurants we can go to where we can have a drink and get almost like bar snacks/starters instead of full on meals as this will just be a waste.

We intend to utilise the quick service as we know there are some really nice different options in the parks, but is there anywhere outside of the parks (we are staying on idrive for the majority of our stay) that we can go and sit for an hour with drinks and snack type foods?

This is really stressing me out, it wouldn't be so bad if we were with others who eat main meals as we would just get a side each to come out with the mains but its just us and so we either need places where they are happy for us to share a main or places we can get starters as a main for both of us or snack type options.

I realise this is probably quite a unique situation but any guidance would be much appreciated

Thank you

Sarah

DLP 2002 & 2010
WDW 2003, 2006, 2009, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2022, 2023 (solo trip) & 2024
Mickeys Mrs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 22, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
You can just order a drink and a starter in any restaurant. Just let the waiter know that's what you intend to do when you order.

You could also order a single main meal and ask for it to be split onto two plates.

Neither of these will be an issue anywhere in Orlando.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 22, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
andylad
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
You can just order a drink and a starter in any restaurant. Just let the waiter know that's what you intend to do when you order.

You could also order a single main meal and ask for it to be split onto two plates.

Neither of these will be an issue anywhere in Orlando.
Yes i agree , we have been in restaurants and just shared a starter and a desert also we split a main meal here in the UK as well as on holiday.

andylad
andylad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 22, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
Check out the posts by Stitchesmumanddad - $20 a day I think is in the title but she is onsite. Her reports are really useful because notwithstanding her own situation, we often leave food because we can’t eat so much in the heat. She’s posted lots of pictures so you can see what it looks like. Have a wonderful holiday 😊
Floridafan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 22, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Whitequeen
Imagineer

Whitequeen's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I leave in just under 40 days and I have also had weightloss surgery so if you're not going before me I can let you know how it went.
I plan to do snacks in the parks but in the evening I will either do a curb side pick up meal and split it in 2 for eating later or just order starters and a drink in a restaurant.

West Coast Visits-5
Whitequeen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 22, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

I have had weight loss surgery and have generally just ordered a drink and a starter. In places like Dennys etc I order from the over 50's menu or the smaller appetite one and no one bats an eyelid. You will find everywhere there is very very accommodating.
sparklegirl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 22, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Aswell as stitchesmumand dad food review on here on dining trip reports board there’s one by caitlinsmummy who has had surgery and rescuer who is no carb.
I’d not hesitate to explain to server you’ve had bariatric surgery. It’s common in USA.
I can’t eat massive portions anymore and will be sharing with my teen who eats tiny portions. Asking for food boxed is an option too so if it comes with a salad and you can’t eat salad and main ask for it in a box to go. Or eat half and take half.

Edited at 10:22 PM.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 22, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mickey check QS kids meals are under 600 cals and not junk food just portions ideal for a smaller appetite. No one will bat an eye if you order.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 22, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Look out for happy hours too. Can’t give any recommendations but for our upcoming trip to the other side of the country we’ve been finding loads of happy hours where you can get very reasonably small bites in the early evening.
landandword17 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 22, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
I was going to recommend Caitlinsmummy.

As Dixonsotour said I follow a low carb low sugar diet and have 2 food reports since doing that. Might give you some ideas of less filling meals.

I’ve found everyone really accommodating, you could share a starter or small meal and have a drink or ask them to make changes and I don’t think they’d bat an eyelid.

Have a great trip, I found the eating a bit of a worry before I went but it was great