Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Aug 22, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

People vote with their feet, Disney is a business and always has been about making profit.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Blimey, I think the heats gotten to some dibbers today, be kind maybe or walk on by x
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
SamH88
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by JJ Disney View Post
I would love to hear from someone that loves this new verson compared to the old fast pass system… I must be missing something as universal fast passes last week were great!
I much prefer Genie+. With Fastpass if you weren’t quick when booking 60/30 days in advance or weren’t even aware you had to do that then most of the big rides would be booked up. With Genie + it levels the playing field and gives everyone on site who wants to pay for it an equal chance.

Also for those of us who can’t afford to stay in deluxe resorts to get “free” Universal express passes the cost of an express pass can be up to $200+ depending on when you go, which is crazy and is a price most people can’t afford. At $15 Genie + is much more affordable for more people. Yes it works differently because at Disney you have to book a time slot but at $15 it couldn’t work the same as Universals Express pass because everyone would buy it and the lines could just end being as long as standby because anyone could ride at any time.

Edited at 11:28 AM.
SamH88 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
SamH88
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by JJ Disney View Post
Sorry I’m not trying to bash Disney I love Disney which is why we chose to stay here 11 nights and universal 4 nights!

But I think they could do better I believe that staying in a deluxe resort should give you the genie plus already ax you are paying way more than rating in a moderate resort which we did last time! We stayed at art of animation and if I was there I don’t think I would be comparing or if I was staying in a non Disney hotel I wouldn’t complain but I’m not.

I’m staying in a deluxe resort and I think that we have already paid enough to be be fair.

I’m going to pay for the genie plus but I just feel like we shouldn’t have too, I think even if you stay at the art of animation you shouldn’t have to pay! If you pay the extra coins to stay at a Disney resort you should just get fast passes that enables you to run to the fast pass lane
So which is it that only people staying in deluxe shouldn’t have to pay or nobody staying on property should have to pay? You contradicted yourself in that post.

The premium you’re paying if for a better resort not for a better park experience.
Old 12 Aug 22, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by khonsu View Post
OK. Seems like a bit of Disney bashing here.

You've stayed at Universal for 4 days - I'm guessing because you're at Beach Club that you stayed in Hard Rock Hotel or Lowes Portofino... the high end hotels at Universal. Where ExpressPasses are included in the price of your hotel stay... not in the price of tickets to the Parks. You are still paying for them with your Premium Resort fee. Have you checked out the price of Universal's ExpressPass? Even for the base version it's more than $90... A DAY. PER PERSON. AND ONE PARK and goes up during busier times. In May, we saw Unlimited prices at $200 per day at Universal

Pay the $15 per person at Disney ($80) and it's still less than the cost of 1x ExpressPass at Universal.

We did every single ride we wanted to in Disney on Genie+. It was easy once you understand how it works. We paid for ROTR, Ratatouille and Seven Dwarfs (which we'd never pay for again).

If you can stay in Beach Club, which is truly beautiful, do not bemoan a few more dollars for Genie+

Wow!

Universal deluxe hotels are cheaper than Beach Club usually and have a vastly superior Express pass system included I think is OP’s point.
I sympathise with OP. Genie is not brilliant, at WDW. It’s better at California. It has some very major issues at WDW.
Given the prices paid for the accommodation, OP feels it is a poor value proposition. So OP can be sad at what is on offer, and vote with her wallet in future.
I have DVC and won’t even go back to WDW this Xmas, doing Universal instead and paying $450 a night for Portofino Club with Express pass and club lounge which is cheaper than you could book Beach Club for, includes club level and Express passes for everyone. A great value I think compared to Disney. I have banked my remaining DVC points to next year in the hope the parks may be better by late 2023. I have almost 400 points so not using them and paying a competitor OOP is an indication of customer dissatisfaction with WDW parks.
I feel Chapek is just wringing as much from WDW park goers as possible short term, damaging the brand long term. A recession is still expected, but he has a huge issue looming of Epic Universe and then Universal is a true week long destination. Chapek or his successor will then be forced to adjust value.

Edited at 11:36 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Yvemc
Excited about Disney

Hmmm. I’m going to politely disagree here and I’ve literally returned from a practically identical trip to yours, five nights in Portofino and 14 nights at Boardwalk. The Universal pass thing is great but you don’t walk on a ride. We queued for everything pretty much - granted the queues were shorter but not always by much, we waited 60 mins for Dudley Doright Falls versus a 70 min posted standby queue. And like everyone else we queued for ages for Hagrid. I wasn’t expecting to love Genie Plus but I absolutely did. We rode everything, multiple times. We got on every single thing we wanted, even those rides that supposedly book out first thing - they don’t as people always change their plans. We were at HS one day and there was no avail left for RnR or TofT. I refreshed my screen a few times and got a return time for RnR for just over two hours. We rode a few other things no problem, had some lunch then stopped for a few drinks in a lovely little bar whilst the teens rode Star Tours and the Muppets and while hubby was at the bar I looked on the app and there was TofT for just after our RnR time, two hour rule meant I could book it. No stress, no glued to my phone. We were easily riding six, seven even more rides a day on Genie Plus and unlike Universal it is practically a walk on. We clicked in to one ride and as we were walking on, I booked another. We did this for the whole trip.

I can see where people are frustrated but I think that’s maybe a lack of understanding of it. We watched tons of vlogs so I could get my head around it. We rode what was available next rather than saying we must go on this next and we can’t cause it isn’t available.

I can understand your point about paying for it at a deluxe resort, however as others are saying if everyone is paying the same flat rate then it does make it fairer. You pay for the resort, the pool, the location and that’s what the premium is for. I hope you don’t let it ruin your holiday. If you have half an hour watch Ear Scouts on You Tube. He did a video called playing the Genie Plus slots and honestly, that really clicked with me and might make it a bit more palatable for you!
WDW Hilton DTD 2001, Wyndham Palace DTD 2004, Sheraton Safari 2006, BC 2009, AKL 2012, BC 2014, AKL 2016, Portofino Bay & Boardwalk 2022, it was worth the wait! Ok I said not until 2025 yet here we go again! 2024 Universal RPR & Drurys Disney Springs!
Yvemc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Letterhead
Serious Dibber

Letterhead's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Yvemc View Post
Hmmm. I’m going to politely disagree here and I’ve literally returned from a practically identical trip to yours, five nights in Portofino and 14 nights at Boardwalk. The Universal pass thing is great but you don’t walk on a ride. We queued for everything pretty much - granted the queues were shorter but not always by much, we waited 60 mins for Dudley Doright Falls versus a 70 min posted standby queue. And like everyone else we queued for ages for Hagrid. I wasn’t expecting to love Genie Plus but I absolutely did. We rode everything, multiple times. We got on every single thing we wanted, even those rides that supposedly book out first thing - they don’t as people always change their plans. We were at HS one day and there was no avail left for RnR or TofT. I refreshed my screen a few times and got a return time for RnR for just over two hours. We rode a few other things no problem, had some lunch then stopped for a few drinks in a lovely little bar whilst the teens rode Star Tours and the Muppets and while hubby was at the bar I looked on the app and there was TofT for just after our RnR time, two hour rule meant I could book it. No stress, no glued to my phone. We were easily riding six, seven even more rides a day on Genie Plus and unlike Universal it is practically a walk on. We clicked in to one ride and as we were walking on, I booked another. We did this for the whole trip.

I can see where people are frustrated but I think that’s maybe a lack of understanding of it. We watched tons of vlogs so I could get my head around it. We rode what was available next rather than saying we must go on this next and we can’t cause it isn’t available.

I can understand your point about paying for it at a deluxe resort, however as others are saying if everyone is paying the same flat rate then it does make it fairer. You pay for the resort, the pool, the location and that’s what the premium is for. I hope you don’t let it ruin your holiday. If you have half an hour watch Ear Scouts on You Tube. He did a video called playing the Genie Plus slots and honestly, that really clicked with me and might make it a bit more palatable for you!
It only makes it fairer for those than can afford to pay $60 for a family of four, for evey attraction they would like to ride, for the duration of their stay.

The old paper fast passes were included in the price, and it was first come first serve, which is a lot fairer than charging even more on top of an already very expensive holiday.
Letterhead is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
JJ Disney
Trying for More Ears

Sorry if I contradicted myself this is my point about Disney I will say it clearly incase it was not clear above!

If you pay to stay in a Disney hotel you should get access to genie plus without paying extra. If you choose to stay in a non Disney hotel or villa non Disney or you are visiting for the day you should pay for genie and ll

I hope that’s clear enough
JJ Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer2802
Imagineer

Imagineer2802's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 27

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 74
Originally Posted by SamH88 View Post
I much prefer Genie+. With Fastpass if you weren’t quick when booking 60/30 days in advance or weren’t even aware you had to do that then most of the big rides would be booked up. With Genie + it levels the playing field and gives everyone on site who wants to pay for it an equal chance.

Also for those of us who can’t afford to stay in deluxe resorts to get “free” Universal express passes the cost of an express pass can be up to $200+ depending on when you go, which is crazy and is a price most people can’t afford. At $15 Genie + is much more affordable for more people. Yes it works differently because at Disney you have to book a time slot but at $15 it couldn’t work the same as Universals Express pass because everyone would buy it and the lines could just end being as long as standby because anyone could ride at any time.
It's not a level playing field though is it...it's those who can pay more... So that's a moot point. Onsite guests should get the perks given the hotels are significantly more expensive that off-site and whilst I couldn't afford to stay deluxe, I do think deluxe should get more perks as, like the OP said, it's significantly more money...and for what?

I am worried about this Genie system and we fly out Monday. We wouldn't be going this year if it hadn't been postponed. We have been going for 20 years and certainly will be voting with our feet and not returning for a good few years at least. It's outpriced itself and stripped back too many perks to make it worth it now.

2019 - August - Europe on the Magic! 17th Trip!

**~ °o° ~°o° ~ °o°~°o° ~°o° ~ °o°~**
Imagineer2802 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 22, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
SamH88
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Letterhead View Post
The old paper fast passes were included in the price, and it was first come first serve, which is a lot fairer than charging even more on top of an already very expensive holiday.
Not very fair to people who can’t walk as quick as others though.