Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 May 19, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

West coast road trip with a 10 year old

I'm working on our 2 week west coast itinerary for April 2020, starting with 4 nights in San Francisco, travelling down the pacific coast highway towards LA, with 2 nights in Monterey/Carmel-By-The-Sea, 1 night in San Simeon/Cambria, 1 night in Santa Barbara, 4 nights in Anaheim and 2 nights in Hollywood for Universal Studios, then back home.

The Pacific Coast Highway looks beautiful. However, I'm slightly concerned that my daughter - who will be 10 and a half next spring - isn't going to find this trip quite as exciting as her daddy and I. There's a good dosage of Disney in the second week (best timing in terms of predicted crowds) but the first week or so is quite 'grown up', and involves quite a bit of driving. She is a smart/mature 9 year old, takes interest in her surroundings and generally travels very well. But I can't help thinking that she would enjoy a return trip to Orlando (a little) more?! I'd be very grateful if anyone could share their experience of a west coast road trip with children of that age, in particular anyone travelling with an only child. Thanks.
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I don’t have a only child

But I’ve taken my own kids to the west coast many times from babies to now when they are 16 & 20 and we also took our 6 month old granddaughter in March

We love the west coast and ours are fab travellers but we never do stays less than 3 nights and no drive more than 5/6 hrs

Universal studios only needs 1 day , Disneyland can easily be done in 3 days .

Mine have always been quite happy in cities , in fact the younger would much rather spend his time in Vegas than Disney and that’s always been the case .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
red cuillen
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Santa cruz has a fun fair on the board walk which is fun, inland to Fulton for redwoods and a steam train ride, monterey the aquarium. These might keep her interested.
red cuillen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
I don’t have a only child

But I’ve taken my own kids to the west coast many times from babies to now when they are 16 & 20 and we also took our 6 month old granddaughter in March

We love the west coast and ours are fab travellers but we never do stays less than 3 nights and no drive more than 5/6 hrs

Universal studios only needs 1 day , Disneyland can easily be done in 3 days .

Mine have always been quite happy in cities , in fact the younger would much rather spend his time in Vegas than Disney and that’s always been the case .
Thank you for your input. Yes, it's the longish drives and short hotel stays that I think she may not be too keen on. She likes the idea of a road trip, I'm just not sure she is ready for it and/or would enjoy certain aspects of it.
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by red cuillen View Post
Santa cruz has a fun fair on the board walk which is fun, inland to Fulton for redwoods and a steam train ride, monterey the aquarium. These might keep her interested.
Thank you for your suggestions. I've seen the Santa Cruz fun fair and the aquarium in Monterey - both look fun. We've given it some further thought and decided to shelve our west coast trip for 2-3 years. It's going to be Orlando again for us in 2020, then funds permitting, California in 2021 or 2022.