Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Members Trip Reports > Disneyland Paris Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Unread 17 May 19, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
VIP Dibber

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
This looks really fab
Would be really interested to hear how the budget splits out
Thanks, I have most of the parts booked now and will share the costs over the weekend
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
DLP, Europapark, Efteling roadtrip
Unread 18 May 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
VIP Dibber

theCMG's Reviews
A bit more on where we're staying:

1 DLP

On premise was going to destroy the budget so this was the main area I decided to save on the accomodation. It's the umpteenth time I've priced up DLP on site hoping for something I'm happy to pay and it's never happened yet! So here's the Gites de Clos Sebastien
Looks nice, hopefully won't be weird

We're staying about 15-20 miles east of DLP with the idea that it's really not far to drive, saves a lot of money and should with luck be nice and relaxing in the evening. It's a standard room with twin beds and includes breakfast. I also have free cancellation on this one until early October just in case an amazing deal does come along.

Excuse the childish writing, using a mouse and the less said about the attempted Mickey ears the better

On check-out morning we are heading East towards Germany so the location is chosen accordingly to hopefully save us from most of the Greater Paris traffic for a quick getaway.

2 Europa-Park

This place has am amazing array of hotels, really it's a smaller, European version of WDW. Noticeable similarities of some to Disney counterparts e.g. Bell Rock = Yacht and Beach but others are unique with themes more around European countries. They're still building hotels and will have @10 soon I believe europapark.de/en/all-hotels-camp-prices One of the hotels even has a michelin starred restaurant so this is some serious shizz

Anyway, we're camping I suppose it's on the way to glamping, we only have to bring towels and sleeping bags in the main:

El cheapo here having booked a teepee on the campgrounds. But it looks ace doesn't it Not sure how cold it will be in October we won't be forgetting the sleeping bags that's for sure.

The camping resort area looks great too, if the photos are accurate it may be better than the campgrounds at DLP (TBC as I haven't seen those either!). Full review will follow in the trippie.

Our teepee comes with breakfast in the resort and was bundled with the park tickets, early entry etc. being (I think/hope!) a short walk into the park. My one slight worry is that we're there during their version of Halloween Horror Nights, DD not into that sort of thing in terms of the event but we'll be packing earplugs in case of noisy late-night teens (albeit German teens hopefully better behaved/more sober than British ones!). I'm sure it will be well managed.

3 Efteling

Having tried to save on accomodation for the first 2 legs the 3rd part is a proper on site stay in the Efteling hotel.

This hopefully provides a steady increase in theming and magical factor through the trip. We're in a fairly boring normal room but they have some incredible themed options if you want to pay more.

This stay also includes breakfast and is bundled with park tickets and early admission etc. A bit like WDW, with both the Europa-Park and Efteling options the rooms were per room prices so a part of 3-4 would have been a much lower per head cost if you're thinking of taking the family. With the two on site bookings including tickets I only now still need to sort out the DLP entry (waiting on deals). The non Disney parks I booked up to 18 months out from the trip I think, certainly it was super-early.

Costs later on.
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Unread 18 May 19, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
VIP Dibber

theCMG's Reviews
Budget Breakdown:

As mentioned in the first post I was thinking of trying to do this for 1800 for the main elements of the trip. Actual spend so far breaks down like this:

155 Eurotunnel return
258 Hotel for DLP (off property) x3 nts incl. breakfast
518 Europa-Park campsite (onsite teepee) x3 nts +breakfast & park entry (590)
646 Efteling Hotel (onsite) x3 nts +breakfast & park entry (736)

Total for this (having used today's rate of 1.14 -) is 1577.

I had allowed 150 for fuel and tolls (economical car) and the DLP tickets for 2 days over half term will cost somewhere near 300 (and if you added that to the 258 hotel cost it's 558 vs the Europa-park 518 and Efteling 646).

Adding that up puts me at 2027. I also splashed on the Buffalo Bills Wild West show premium tickets at 140 for the pair so we'll be eating cream crackers by Day 3 based on my budgeting skills

In terms of flexibility:
- the Paris hotel is free cancellation until a few weeks before we go
- Europa-park I have paid in full (could have just done a deposit), their customer service is excellent so suspect if I did need to change something they would be helpful
- I paid 7 extra for cancellation insurance for Efteling
- Eurotunnel is a non refundable ticket but I tend to book a cheap time and turn up early, often they put you on the 1st train available

Worth noting that if DW were suddenly to decide to come along as a 3rd person, the extra cost would only be breakfasts on the rooms and the park tickets. I reckon that total trip cost before daily spends would rise from @2027 to @2500-2600, a big drop in the cost per person (so a family of 2 adults 2 kids in one room around the 3k mark I estimate).

Finally, if I'd realised I was going to go over budget I might have pulled in a couple of points on the itinerary to save money. Still considering a tweak to check out of Eteling on Day 9 instead of Day 10 as I reckon that will save about 150 and a morning off work (in exchange for a more stressful last day with a late Eurotunnel trip).
Unread 18 May 19, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
florida addict
Imagineer

would you look at hiring a motor home ? if you buy an AP for DLP you can park for free in it. Im sure there are parking facilities close to the other parks too. This may cut down on the initial budget of 1500
Unread 18 May 19, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
VIP Dibber

theCMG's Reviews
Originally Posted by florida addict View Post
would you look at hiring a motor home ? if you buy an AP for DLP you can park for free in it. Im sure there are parking facilities close to the other parks too. This may cut down on the initial budget of 1500
I'd love to try a motorhome trip one day but they're expensive and with the AP cost too I'm pretty sure that's going to go a lot higher. Thanks for reading
Unread 19 May 19, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

This trip sounds fab. We have talked about Europa park and Efteling so Im keen to learn more. The teepee looks amazing! DH wouldnt mind the driving. Looking forward to hearing all about this one.
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
A rendezvous with DLP
Unread 20 May 19, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Stubbs86
Excited about Disney

This trip sounds amazing! Literally this time last year we were on our own road trip to Europa Park and Efteling (link to the trip report in my signature if you are interested!) - we stayed at the Efteling Hotel and also ate at the Camp Resort at EP.

Edit - looks like you already read it

Hope you have a fab time, feel free to ask any questions if you want

Germany/Netherlands Roadtrip May 2018 - Europa Park & Efteling
DLP October 2018 - Cheyenne in Halloween season
Alton Towers March 2019 & May 2019 - solo days out
Stubbs86 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 19, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
VIP Dibber

theCMG's Reviews
Originally Posted by Animagus View Post
This trip sounds fab. We have talked about Europa park and Efteling so Im keen to learn more. The teepee looks amazing! DH wouldnt mind the driving. Looking forward to hearing all about this one.
Lots more planning to come so stay tuned and then hopefully the trip itself won't disappoint

Originally Posted by Stubbs86 View Post
This trip sounds amazing! Literally this time last year we were on our own road trip to Europa Park and Efteling (link to the trip report in my signature if you are interested!) - we stayed at the Efteling Hotel and also ate at the Camp Resort at EP.

Edit - looks like you already read it

Hope you have a fab time, feel free to ask any questions if you want
Yes great thanks, I'll definitely have some questions as we get closer to the date. Yours was indeed one of the threads I followed around the time we were booking (I forget the exact timing but will look up again now!)
Eat and Play Card