Go Back   theDIBB > Other Planning Discussion > Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.
Orlando Attraction Tickets
Unread 21 May 19, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
Imagineer

On RCI in 2017 we didn't bother but did last year if only for some nice photos. Sadly being ex-pats we are the forgotten relations for weddings etc. So this is an occasion for us as a family to get some decent photos. After dinner I took off the DJ and the tie.

Going again this Friday and I'll take the suit as I have space in the car. This summer in the Caribbean I certainly won't be taking a suit as won't have space for it on the flight.

Also if you do want to do it the men might be able to rent a suit onboard but best to go early in the cruise if you are going down that road.
jas72 is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
15 weeks in the Grand Floridian +cruise
Unread 21 May 19, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by aqualiv View Post
Hiya

We are going on our first cruise together in July and I have noticed that there are 2 black tie nights in the itinerary

Do we have to dress up on those nights?

We have opted for anytime dining, will there still be a casual restaurant to go to on the black tie nights

Thanks
On formal nights you only have to dress up if you want to use the main dining room and certain bars - they will tell you which ones you can/cannot use on those nights.

You can use the buffet on any evening - you don't need to be in formal wear to use it even on formal nights.

With regards to black and white night you dont have to stick to that - I dont have anything black so I will just wear my posh frocks on formal night - mine are mostly pink etc!

We actually love dressing up for dinner - and will dress up semi-formal for the main dining room.
Hubby will wear smart jeans and a polo shirt on non-formal nights - he wears this in all the restaurants.
I love wearing a dress and heels so I take every opportunity to do so!

IF we go to the buffet I will wear jeans and a nice top etc.

We find that most people dress smartly for dinner - especially on P&O.
Some of the cruises aimed at the americans are less formal in the evening.

I find it frustrating if people turn up scruffy for dinner but at the same time i dont let it affect my holiday!

Enjoy your cruise!
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Baltics on Britannia - brillant!
Unread 21 May 19, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

I had this dilemma for our cruise which is next month. I chose P&O for the ports Norway and the Ffjords , and because the dates fitted in. Dressing up isn't really our thing, but DH had said he'll take a suit with shirt and tie and proper shoes in case we decide we want to go to one of the formal nights. I have a nice dress I bought years ago and have only worn a handful of times, and I've just ordered a pashmina. Not sure if I'll be able to wear heels as I've hurt my leg, so it may be my sparkly flip flop type sandals.
I've also ordered some black palazzo style pants I could wear with a nice top.

We do like to dress smart casual when we go out, but dinner suits and cocktail dresses don't feature. If we go to one formal night and find it too stuffy we won't bother with the second night.

Edited at 09:16 PM.
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
JudyC is a Disney Podcast DIBBcast-ear
Unread 22 May 19, 12:22 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
I had this dilemma for our cruise which is next month. I chose P&O for the ports Norway and the Ffjords , and because the dates fitted in. Dressing up isn't really our thing, but DH had said he'll take a suit with shirt and tie and proper shoes in case we decide we want to go to one of the formal nights. I have a nice dress I bought years ago and have only worn a handful of times, and I've just ordered a pashmina. Not sure if I'll be able to wear heels as I've hurt my leg, so it may be my sparkly flip flop type sandals.
I've also ordered some black palazzo style pants I could wear with a nice top.

We do like to dress smart casual when we go out, but dinner suits and cocktail dresses don't feature. If we go to one formal night and find it too stuffy we won't bother with the second night.
See I was worried as i wore leggings, boots and a fancy top and hubby was jeans and top to the casual and I thought Id be dressed down but didnt feel it when we were out. Was exactly what it wear if I was going out for night at pub etc
P&o is seen as stuffy more cos its majorly over 50s but didnt find it that bad.
Formal -dress and nice shoes and suit is all you need. Basically wedding.

Some have proper gowns and tux but not many.

Only thing thats pants is being asked to leave if your not dressed up enough as your then limited
vampiress88 is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our First Family Disney Holiday
Unread 22 May 19, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Mobile

We are both over 50😁, well I'm 56 and hubby will have just turned 59 before our cruise. We looked at Fred Olsen cruises originally as they go from Liverpool, but decided the age demographic was perhaps too old for us.
I'm happy with a mix of all ages, I guess as it's not school holidays there won't be so many families with school age children on this one. Our kids are grown up so that suits us now 😀
93 94 03 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
JudyC is a Disney Podcast DIBBcast-ear
Unread 22 May 19, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
We are both over 50😁, well I'm 56 and hubby will have just turned 59 before our cruise. We looked at Fred Olsen cruises originally as they go from Liverpool, but decided the age demographic was perhaps too old for us.
I'm happy with a mix of all ages, I guess as it's not school holidays there won't be so many families with school age children on this one. Our kids are grown up so that suits us now 😀
Dont write off Fred Olsen! Im 47, just back from an amazing cruise with them, we had loads of fun!
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
DAYS UNTIL I AM BANKRUPT AGAIN!
Unread 22 May 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Chair1519
Imagineer

Chair1519's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
I enjoy the formal nights as I feel its part of the holiday. I am fortunate in having a national dress to wear rather than DJ. I do go to a number of formal evenings as part of my normal life and its quite easy to just get out the kilt.
Chair1519 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Can't stop the cruising
Unread 23 May 19, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Chair1519 View Post
I enjoy the formal nights as I feel its part of the holiday. I am fortunate in having a national dress to wear rather than DJ. I do go to a number of formal evenings as part of my normal life and its quite easy to just get out the kilt.
We also really enjoy dressing up as we dont get to do it often
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our Beautiful Wedding!