Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 13 Feb 19, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
LOL, yes, not quite within walking distance! It is almost 9 miles from Universal
Hi Simon
Ha ha I know how long is that rd?
I was going to Uber to Winter park do you think this is feasible? Hence why I was excited about the train. Can you think of any easy way to get there(that’s not really expensive). We will have a hire car later on in the holiday but my days are booked up then(cant even extend the car hire as we are coming at Easter so picking the Car up after the ‘premium’ rates)
TIA
Old 13 Feb 19, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Scotsmomma View Post
We've used the Lynx number 50 from Sea World Harbor Drive to Lynx Central station then transfer to Lynx 102 to get to Winter Park many times.
Oo was this easy to do(we are staying Universal side of I drive on sand lake rd). How would we do this (if Simon can’t think of a way for us to get the train )
Old 13 Feb 19, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Simon & Suzann
Imagineer

Mobile

Sorry if I missed it but what is there at Winter park?

We have a day or 2 spare so looking for ideas.
Simon & Suzann is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 19, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
Oo was this easy to do(we are staying Universal side of I drive on sand lake rd). How would we do this (if Simon can’t think of a way for us to get the train )
It really is easy...you can get down to Seaworld on the Lynx 8 get the 50 on the same side of the road as Seaworld which will take you to Lynx Central station where you get the 102,it sounds complicated but it really isn't. You get off in Winter Park when you see the white building of the railway station...the driver will tell you though.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 19, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
tapley
Apprentice Imagineer

For those who are on the 2nd, 3rd (or more!) trip to Orlando, or those wanting a break from the parks, we always recommend a day out at Winter Park as a great way to slow down and see something of the REAL Orlando. And Winter Park is keen to welcome more UK visitors, too, with a distinctly more user-friendly approach from the Chamber of Commerce. Their new Welcome Center on Lyman Avenue (just half a block from the main drag of Park Avenue) is now offering all British visitors a special service that we at the Brit Guide have been working on with them for the past six months or so.

Now, if you're looking to get the best out of a Winter Park visit, just head to the Welcome Center first and let them know you are a British visitor, and you will be given a free bottle of water, area map and a series of seasonal discounts for the local shops and restaurants (all of which should also be geared up for UK guests). It is a new initiative we are keen to expand and cultivate as we think this is a great area for people to visit and de-stress from the overall hectic pace of an Orlando holiday (as well as enjoy some fab food!), so feel free to let us have your feedback about this idea and how it works for you, if you get the chance to try it out
Great stuff Simon. We always try to fit in a trip to winter Park it allows for relaxation and good food. Would always recommend the boat trip
tapley is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 19, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Scotsmomma View Post
It really is easy...you can get down to Seaworld on the Lynx 8 get the 50 on the same side of the road as Seaworld which will take you to Lynx Central station where you get the 102,it sounds complicated but it really isn't. You get off in Winter Park when you see the white building of the railway station...the driver will tell you though.
So I have an I drive trolley pass that I can get to seaworld(is this the quickest way or should I get the lynx?). Is Seaworld the nearest pickup for me for the 50?
How long does this take and do you remember how much it is(we are 2A 2 kids)
TIA
Old 14 Feb 19, 03:30 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Simon & Suzann View Post
Sorry if I missed it but what is there at Winter park?

We have a day or 2 spare so looking for ideas.
Winter Park is packed full of boutique shops, cafes and restaurants; two great museums; the Scenic Boat Tour (scenicboattours/; cash only); some nice gardens; a small theatre, distillery and brewery; Rollins College (dating to 1885, and a very pretty campus); the unique 9-hole Golf Course; the historic Casa Feliz home; and the superb Alfond Inn hotel, which is worth visiting on its own. There are self-guided walking tours of the area, and it has some of the best dining in Central Florida. Quite enough for a full day out!
SimonV is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 03:42 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
So I have an I drive trolley pass that I can get to seaworld(is this the quickest way or should I get the lynx?). Is Seaworld the nearest pickup for me for the 50?
How long does this take and do you remember how much it is(we are 2A 2 kids)
TIA
The Lynx bus from SeaWorld to the Lynx central station takes about 25-30 mins and costs $2 per person ($4.50 for an all-day pass). The 102 bus from the central station to Winter Park takes another 45 mins, so it's slow going (albeit it's only 16 mins on the Sunrail train from the Central Station).

An Uber from Universal to Winter Park will be about $15-20, depending on the day, and time of day. It'll take roughly 30 mins, traffic-permitting (which is always the big snag).

However, you can also get 2 buses - the 42 and 111 - from I-Drive to the Sand Lake Rd Sunrail station, and it takes about 35 mins and $2 per ride. Look up the details here: golynx/plan-trip/rid...nnections.stml
SimonV is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 03:45 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

It's a good question, as it's probably not obvious. But the Winter Park Chamber of Commerce - who we work with over here - have become very conscious of the growing appeal of Winter Park and are especially keen to promote it. They know the domestic American market isn't especially interested in visiting (apart from to sample the dining scene occasionally) as they generally don't have a lot of spare time on their Orlando holidays (the US visitor averages barely 5 days in Orlando; the UK visitor almost 13), but the international market usually has a day or two away from the parks, and is keen to see places like this. The Chamber also knows that UK visitors are more likely to visit during the week, when Park Avenue isn't so busy, which makes for a real win-win situation, boosting business on the quieter days and giving visitors a real 'taste' of the local scene. And the UK market isn't likely to swamp Winter Park in sheer volume terms. Even if it generates several hundred new visitors a day (at an optimistic estimate), Park Avenue can easily accommodate that many, but UK visitors are likely to spend more, per person, which makes those few hundred extra visitors highly valuable
Yes, indeed. Please see above
Thankyou,. I'm not sure I want to be a cash cow. I would rather go to places of my own volition but horses for courses etc.l
Old 14 Feb 19, 04:13 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

I'm not sure the 'cash cow' idea really comes into it (any more than the theme parks!), but it is definitely a case of to each their own, so to speak. We just think Winter Park makes a nice diversion from the frenzy elsewhere, and it is a taste of the 'real' Orlando, as opposed to the theme parks, I-Drive, etc.