Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 7 Apr 19, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gav View Post
Is it ok taking cereals etc in your case? I’d always have thought customs would be funny about it?
There are some products you can’t take (I think fruit and milk are two) but cereal, tea bags, coffee, sweets are all fine but you need to declare them when entering. Customs ask you what you have, you tell them and they send you through if they’re happy. They may send your suitcase for additional scan but it’s not happened to us. My list is usually tea, coffee, cereal bars and candy.

help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...--general-food

Edited at 04:46 PM.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 19, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
Things like sanitary products are always on sale frequently so you lose out if you can't stock up like the locals do. CVS and Walgreens have so many special offers for cardholders as well that I am sure they raise the regular prices to make up for it.
I've always found the clerk on the till more than happy to swipe their own card to allow me to take advantage of the cardholder offers, they get the points on their card so win win really.
pompeyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 19, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoguy
Imagineer

It’s always been expensive for groceries in particular fresh fruit and veg, but if you shop around you can always find deals and coupons, dollar tree is very good for the basics
Orlandoguy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 19, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando_Kings
Very Serious Dibber

Orlando_Kings's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by Queen of Herts View Post
Arrived home this morning. Just the two of us but grocery and toiletry shopping is so expensive compared to here. Its a real eye opener. Had to buy a pack of 18 tampons yesterday $5.29 from Walgreens! $4.29 for cereal. The exchange rate doesnt help obviously.
Am wondering if you found the ones close to the tourist villa/resort areas had these expensive prices or was this generally for all the stores you visited?
Old 7 Apr 19, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkUKinOrlando
Imagineer

When we first moved to Orlando, a week's groceries at Publix was around $75 for 2 of us, now it's nearer to $150. We've started using Walmart Neighbourhood market a few times. Quite a lot of their items are cheaper than Publix. Buying Sunday's Orlando Sentinel can help, they have voucher inserts for quite a few places.
MarkUKinOrlando is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 19, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

We found Walgreens expensive this trip, $7.99 for Dove deodorant. Dollar tree is brilliant for stuff, we got washing liquid for clothes in there, huge bottle too! Cereals are expensive too as we all like different ones!
Old 8 Apr 19, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Ash
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MarkUKinOrlando View Post
When we first moved to Orlando, a week's groceries at Publix was around $75 for 2 of us, now it's nearer to $150. We've started using Walmart Neighbourhood market a few times. Quite a lot of their items are cheaper than Publix. Buying Sunday's Orlando Sentinel can help, they have voucher inserts for quite a few places.
When I moved to the US I basically only shopped at one store (the big company in MI is Meijer) it started getting stupid expensive, now I shop mostly at Aldi and Walmart, then Meijer only when they have great sale on something.
Old 8 Apr 19, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

We very rarely shop at Walgreens or CVS as everything is more expensive, sometimes twice the price of Walmart. It's purely convenience because they are abundant rather than having to travel to a Walmart.
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 19, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by angelbabe View Post
We very rarely shop at Walgreens or CVS as everything is more expensive, sometimes twice the price of Walmart. It's purely convenience because they are abundant rather than having to travel to a Walmart.
Agreed. I pretty much only shop their offers. Last night we stopped for a bottled drink while we were out. I picked up a box of cereal for $1.99 instead of $5 and a bottle of laundry detergent for $2.99. I wouldn't shop for either there at full price!
Old 8 Apr 19, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
glenandem
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We decided to go Aldi last night to see how it compares to the UK and its cracking, when we’re back home me and the wife always have a guess at the final price at the tills and it always comes in cheaper and last night no exception!
We only got breads millks and cereal but can see aldi taking over the us with those prices compared to the likes of Walmart, target publix etc
glenandem is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List