Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 24 Sep 21, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Ice Cream

anyone else make their own icecream? a mate gave me his churner thing a while back, and i've been experimenting with random flavours/recipes. today i'm trying a (modified) David Lebovitz recipe that my friend sent me

1 litre cream
4T cocoa powder
150g chocolate
100g sugar
salt (large pinch)
6 medium egg yolks
1/2t vanilla

warm 250ml cream with cocoa, bring to boil then simmer for 30secs and remove from heat. pour into large mixing bowl.

add chocolate and 500ml cream and pour into mixing bowl, stir to melt the choc and mix it all properly

warm rest of cream (~250ml), sugar, vanilla and salt. stir till dissolved. DO NOT HEAT TOO HIGH! (or you'll cook your eggs!)

whisk yolks together, add warm cream slowly to yolks, whisking to temper the egg. once tempered, pour yolk mix into the rest of your vanilla sugar cream mix, whisk to combine.

strain eggy milk into cream (pour through fine mesh strainer in case there are lumps), cool completely.

pour into your churner to par-freeze, then decant into storage tub and freeze. at this point, you can fold in any extras you may want to add (ill be doing chocolate chips and dried cherries

(probably) tomorrow, i'll be doing pistachio icecream as well!

anyone else experiment with it? got any *really good* recipes?

Edited at 06:22 PM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

I don’t have any good recipes but I developed a taste for (shop bought) pistachio ice cream recently, then I couldn’t buy any more so I bought a load of pistachios in order to make my own. Not got round to it yet, I will maybe hang on for your recipe.
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 21, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

so i made the pistachio one yesterday, and my god, its good!

i cheated a little, using this pistachio cream stuff i got from costco a while back, and been trying to figure out what to do with it, as its so sweet! (its basically a big jar of pistachio nutella)

so i used:

1 litre cream
two big scoops of the pistachio cream (around a third of the 600ml jar)
4 egg yolks
1tsp vanilla extract
a large pinch of salt
a large amount of actual pistachios that i toasted in a small frying pan for a few minutes, then chopped them up. some finely, mostly large chunks, with a handful of whole ones too

warm half the cream, mix it with the egg yolks bit by bit, whisking to combine and form the custard. once tempered, pour the egg mix back into the pan, add the pistachio cream stuff, bring to the boil and turn the heat off. add the vanilla and the chopped nuts, then after 15 mins or so, pour in the rest of the cream and whisk. add salt to taste (i used a large pinch)

leave to cool, then fridge it for a while before churning and freezing.

SO GOOD!

this is the stuff, i got it from costco, where it was only around £7 a jar

amazon/Pisti-Sprea...f_=as_li_ss_tl

Edited at 05:55 PM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 21, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

Ah pistachio cream, I have never heard of it but had been thinking it would need something that kind of texture. Have just ordered myself a jar from Amazon. I will need some space in my freezer to freeze my churning bowl thing before I can attempt it though.
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 21, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

my guess is that a 600ml jar should be enough to make 3-4 litres of icecream. the (eyeballed) amount i used in this batch was too sweet when i only had half the cream in the pan. it wasnt until i added the other half after boiling it that it brought it back down to a nice level that wasnt sickly (to my taste)

adding the salt definitely helped too, although if you use salted pistachios, i wouldnt think you would need to add any

the *only* issue with it was the texture. it was slightly gritty in an ice crystal sort of way. i blame two things for this, the churner had only been back in the freezer overnight rather than 2-3 days like it was with the chocolate, and also we'd been opening the freezer door a lot that day, both to rearrange things, find things, and also to freeze a load of chicken i'd made. the temperature of the freezer may not have been low enough to freeze it as quickly as it should be.

either way, minor texture issues, that i should be able to easily avoid next time i make some!

the only thought was that the custard may not have been thick enough. should i have used more eggs? (i used 6 yolks in the chocolate, but only 4 in this batch) - would this have made a difference do you think?

i also think i may need to buy a small chest freezer for use to freeze and/or store some of these things i'm making (to potentially sell) - can you get small blast freezers which freeze things quicker than usual to preserve the texture? is that a thing?
Old 27 Sep 21, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Nigella has a really easy recipe for salted caramel ice cream. Its an absolute doddle to make but tastes amazing. It's basically a tin of Carnation caramel condensed milk, a tub of double cream and a good pinch of sea salt. She does it by just freezing it and keeping giving it a good mix but I do it in my churner.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 21, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

think we've got a tin of the caramel in the cupboard, so will bear that in mind once we've eaten the 2 litres of icecream we currently have in the freezer

in the meantime, if anyone else wants to make some and document the recipe/post photos, please do!
Old 27 Sep 21, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

If you want to be inspired by unusual flavours then have a look at La Gelatiera in London. Its only the tiniest of shops but oh my days, the ice cream is amazing. I have tried practically all the flavours, the honey, rosemary and orange zest is my favourite though.
lagelatiera/lagelat..._flavours.html
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 21, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

ok, got round to trying out the big tubs, rather than the small amount of leftover stuff, and there were a couple of *small* issues id like to try and sort out for next time.

first off, the icecream is *hard* - even after leaving them on the counter for 45 minutes, i still couldnt easily take out a scoop of them. do i need to whip/churn some more? should i add milk to thin it out a little? should i try actually whipping the custard to add a bit of air before churning? or am i just storing at the wrong temperature? is my freezer too cold?

secondly, adding ingredients... is there a way to combine the addons so they dont all either just float to the top/sink to the bottom? the chocolate chips and cherries pretty much all sank to the bottom. the pistachios were a lot more evenly spread out, but there were still a *lot* of them floating on top.

i suspect my churning game isnt up to scratch, or the churner i have is so old, its not doing it very well (im guessing its 20 years old, it was given to me by a friend. it was only ever used a couple of times though, so is in as-new condition)

the second batch didnt chill down and thicken up nearly as much as the chocolate. the first bacth (choc) the churn tub was in the freezer for 2 full days before using, and was definitely an improvement over the second batch, which was only in there for ~12 hours before churning.

but yeah, either way, they both tasted amazing, and i was extremely happy with the results!

Old 29 Sep 21, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

found this, which suggests i should add some milk and honey (or sugar) to potentially loosen it up to be scoopable. condensed milk is another possible...

finecooking/article/...e-in-ice-cream

so the next batch i make ill try doing that. the only issue for the pistachio one, is that it is so sweet already due to the pistachio cream i added. i'll probably need to add a bit less of that next time and substitute it for a good squeeze of honey