Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 26 Feb 20, 02:45 AM  
Link to this Post
PortoBoy
Trying for More Ears

FP vs Standby - missed experience?

Hi All,

Once again, massive thanks for all the feedback to date, it's been hugely appreciated. I've a question on FP vs Standby, and if it might mean some missed experiences.
We're fortunate enough to be getting 13 nights onsite, and so have secured FPs for all the major rides. My question is: Will we miss out on anything major by not doing standby lines? For example, I've heard there's a fabulous Mr. Potato Head animatronic on one of the Toy Story rides, but you bypass it if you FP. Will we miss anything major on FOP or Smuggler's run for example? Are there any rides you choose to standby for the experience?
Or should I just shut up and be grateful that we've everything covered by FP?!

Thanks in advance!
PortoBoy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 07:20 AM  
Link to this Post

There is no way I would opt to queue for two or more hours in order to see something in the queue. To me, anything that happens to be in a queue is there to make unavoidable queuing more bearable, but is not an attraction in its own right.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
There is no way I would opt to queue for two or more hours in order to see something in the queue. To me, anything that happens to be in a queue is there to make unavoidable queuing more bearable, but is not an attraction in its own right.
I agree with you Claudette the queue for me is definitely just a means to an end not an attraction in its own right.
Old 26 Feb 20, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

We went in August 2018, we were lucky and managed to get fast passes for everything but slinky dog, but the rides are so good that using the disney app to look at queue times we managed to get on all of them a second time on standby when the app showed queue times were low - best of both worlds. But I agree, the queues are great, but 2 hours in them is not worth it if you can fast pass
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

One mans "fabulous Mr. Potato Head animatronic" is another mans idle distraction whilst you accomplish the inconvenient wait. There's allsorts of Yeti memorabilia in the Everest queue to set the scene, great if you're there and bored, but better if you just flash past it, because you still get the sense of what it's telling you, but not the details.

I see queues as a second or third level stuff. You appreciate the queue detail when you're done being excited by the ride itself. That's when they become attractions not rides.
Old 26 Feb 20, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

I enjoy the queue details but not to the extent of a 2 hour wait and hardly moving. If it is a 30 minute standby queue then head in.

However some people wont have any option but to use standby if they want to ride certain rides.
Old 26 Feb 20, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I’m with other posters and I just want to get on the ride, so fast pass over standby every time! We’ve never done standby on FOP, the fast pass line & the room where you link is bad enough let alone make that part of the experience longer (just my opinion!) There are some many other immersive experiences in the parks that I would rather do them!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

The standby line for FOP is the only one that I really think is worth experiencing (last thing before park closure for instance, I only waited 1 hour). The lab and the Navi animatronic are worth seeing for sure.
YLL is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Peter Pan pre-ride is good! I guess it could be partly why the queue time is so long - people hand out to see the effects a while...
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by stupet11 View Post
Peter Pan pre-ride is good! I guess it could be partly why the queue time is so long - people hand out to see the effects a while...
That's one I have been through, only because I went on MNSSHP night. Yes I think there were people stopping, I didn't see anything that would make me even pause.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List