Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 May 17, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

My DD (7.5) has had the Accu-Check Insight pump since Nov '16. We had our eye on the Omnipod however her basal is low, the Omnipod advertises 2u per day as it's lowest basal rate but our nurses don't advise anyone with less then 4u of basal per day due to issues with several children last year.

We mainly choose the Accu-Check Insight as it's monitor is Bluetooth to the pump so no need to access the pump itself at all (unless you want to) for day to day use. DD wears it in a pump pouch around her waist and generally wears dresses which would make access the pump hard hence why the Bluetooth monitor was necessary.

We did have a pump failure in Dec unfortunately however customer service was fantastic and we had a replacement delivered at noon on Xmas eve.
Old 23 May 17, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mlbolger
Very Serious Dibber

Hi, my son 11 has omnipod and libre and we love it. So easy to change and can put on arm, leg, stomach, back etc so very versatile. Best of all no tubing so great for sport etc. x Sarah

Oct04 Villa Hampton Lakes, Nov05 QII Int Drive
Feb 08, Nov 09, Nov 10 Villa Emerald Isles
Oct 12 Disney Beach Club
Nov 13 Carribean Beach
Nov 15 Wilderness Lodge
mlbolger is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 17, 06:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Wazza68
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ch1ps View Post
I think it's great you have so much choice. My hospital has medtronic or omnipod!
While it is good to have a choice we've had to move DDs care. We are in Harlow and insulin pumps are not available at all in our area so we had to get her referred to UCLH in London which is where all her care and appointments will now be. Inconvenient and expensive but something we're prepared to do to help FD
Wazza68 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 17, 07:09 AM  
Link to this Post
ch1ps
Imagineer

ch1ps's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by Wazza68 View Post
While it is good to have a choice we've had to move DDs care. We are in Harlow and insulin pumps are not available at all in our area so we had to get her referred to UCLH in London which is where all her care and appointments will now be. Inconvenient and expensive but something we're prepared to do to help FD
Sorry to hear that. It's definitely a postcode lottery. My sister also has T1 and her consultant won't give pumps to over 18s.
Old 24 May 17, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
making49
Imagineer

making49's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
My DD has had Type 1 Diabetes since she was 10 years old (33 yrs ago). She was the one of the first ones in our county (2011) to be given the Omnipod and hasn't looked back. She loves the control it gives her and there are no wires just the pod, which lasts 3 days, worn on either of her arms. I'm sure there are different ones available now but she has never felt the need to change.

Good luck with making your decision.
Old 24 May 17, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Sallyjackzero
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi, another vote here for accu chek.

Only been on the insight pump for a few months now (been type 1 for 20+ years but only just managed to win the argument for a pump), it really has been a life changer!

I was just so used to the routine of injections that it didn't really feel like an inconvenience, but having used the pump i would never ever want to go back!

I chose the accu chek as I'd been using an expert meter since completing the DAFNE course a few years ago. I liked how it worked and understood the menus. The pump/handset combination is brilliant and means that I can tuck the pump away in a pouch and I don't have to pull it out at work or sat at the table in a resteraunt. I like the fact that I can order different lengths of tubes if I want to have the cannula on my arm or leg. I've only had one accident tangling the tubing, but that was because I wasn't looking and it wouldn't have happened if I wasn't an idiot lol.

I too was a bit worried about being given a choice as I wasn't sure what to base it on, but in the end I'm glad I went with the accu chek as it has been an easy transition.

Good luck with whichever you choose, it really is a wonderful step forward!

2001 - Quality Inn Plaza, International Drive
2002 - Travelodge, American Way
2009 & 2011 - Renaissance Orlando
2015 - Disney Beach Club Resort
Sallyjackzero is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 17, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Wazza68
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sallyjackzero View Post
Hi, another vote here for accu chek.

Only been on the insight pump for a few months now (been type 1 for 20+ years but only just managed to win the argument for a pump), it really has been a life changer!

I was just so used to the routine of injections that it didn't really feel like an inconvenience, but having used the pump i would never ever want to go back!

I chose the accu chek as I'd been using an expert meter since completing the DAFNE course a few years ago. I liked how it worked and understood the menus. The pump/handset combination is brilliant and means that I can tuck the pump away in a pouch and I don't have to pull it out at work or sat at the table in a resteraunt. I like the fact that I can order different lengths of tubes if I want to have the cannula on my arm or leg. I've only had one accident tangling the tubing, but that was because I wasn't looking and it wouldn't have happened if I wasn't an idiot lol.

I too was a bit worried about being given a choice as I wasn't sure what to base it on, but in the end I'm glad I went with the accu chek as it has been an easy transition.

Good luck with whichever you choose, it really is a wonderful step forward!
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We seem to have ruled out omnipod as DD has been wearing a trial unit at school and found it annoying. Looks like a toss up between Accu Chek and animas
Wazza68 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 17, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Wazza68
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by making49 View Post
My DD has had Type 1 Diabetes since she was 10 years old (33 yrs ago). She was the one of the first ones in our county (2011) to be given the Omnipod and hasn't looked back. She loves the control it gives her and there are no wires just the pod, which lasts 3 days, worn on either of her arms. I'm sure there are different ones available now but she has never felt the need to change.

Good luck with making your decision.
Thanks for this. I think we have ruled out omnipod as DD has been wearing a trial unit at school and found it annoying. Looks like a toss up between Accu Chek and animas. But knowing DD it will change lots between now and when we have to decide in June.
Old 24 May 17, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

Can you get a trial of both of them? Animas let us bring one home for a week or so (with just saline in it, not attached to him) and then we had to post it back. We mimicked what we'd have to do each time he tested and injected etc, just to get a feel for what it was like to actually use the function.

The interface of the accu chek is much newer compared to the Animas, which feels "dated". However, the animas is very easy to use, and the many complaints about the insight really spooked me about it (not sure if all the problems have been ironed out now though!)
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 17, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Wazza68 View Post
I'm glad you were able to move and get your DD a pump, I feel that all type 1's irrespective of age should be able to go onto a pump if they meet the criteria.

I had to change hospitals too, over 10 years of trying to get a pump at my old hospital, whatever hoop my consultant made me jump through he put another brick wall in my path. Moved to another hospital (very pro pump) and within a few months I was on my pump. I can honestly say the last few years have changed my life completely and my control is the best it's been in having been a type 1 for 42 years.

I hope your DD has success with her control too
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List